Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my endeavour to solve my personal F40/50 preference question, I decided to visit Boxster (after his more than kind offer to spend a full day with me) last week in his home.
My flight from Switzerland to the Iberian half - island took me about 2 hours one way and after a 45 minutes drive from the airport in partially heavy raining I arrived in the midmorning at his house.
Boxer and his lovely wife welcomed me very warmly and served a wonderful coffee right away.
They both are such nice people to be with, very kind and helpful in any respect. I felt rightaway "at home". Since we had never met before we sat down to learn to know each other a little bit and discussed many topics for an hour or so.
After this, the direction of "the topics" to come was clear: The Garage with the Ferrari's F40 and F50.

The 2 "beast's" side by side look faaaaantastic. Boxers F40 and F50 are both in exceptional conditions. In and out, no doubt!!
After spending about an hour to inspect the cars (and waiting for the rain to ebb and the street surface to dry) the first car to drive was the F40.

more to follow........

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Having driven F40's and a F50 some longer time ago, it was a great feeling to sit in Boxers very well taken care for F40. While the streets where not 100% dry, Boxer drove the F40 to a max of around 5'000 rpms (more would have been taking unnecessary risks in respect to the conditions). We headed out for an hour drive, along the coast as well as "Autobahn". Without the need to go into detail and repeat what much more competent people (like all you F40 owners out there) already have written in this forum, I just wanted to mention this: The F40 represents a outstanding piece of driving experience and most of all -- the ability to cruise at high speeds with a relatively tame engine sound in the cabin creates fantasies for great long distance touring with a F40 instead of the classical "GT's". (Boxer's F40 produces a approved 590 horsepower due to a turbo replacement by a previous owner)

It was lunchtime. Boxer decided to take the blue Tubistyle (what a sound!) 360 Modena to the local seafood restaurant.

more to follow.........

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At the seaoverlooking restaurant, agp22, a very kind, nice and interesting regular FL forum participant, joined us for lunch. Parking right next to his gorgeous grey 550 in front of the restaurant, the sky closed with dark clouds and another phase of very heavy raining started immediately. Thanks God we went for lunch. The chance to drive the barchetta versioned F50 of Boxer in the afternoon just abated slowly in my mind. Another reason to enjoy the very interesting conversations with Boxer and agp22 and the phantastic seafood and fish platters in lenght.
Another 2 hours passed quickly. The rain had stopped and within minutes, the street surface dried. (Something we seldom experience in Switzerland after very heavy rain). My F50 ambitions started to grew in mind again. Driving back to Boxers house, I enjoyed agp22's offer to join the ride in his Maranello. After all, the 550 Maranello was my first Ferrari 10 years ago (same color). Smelling the leather inside the car restarted all this beautiful rememberings back from my own 550 ownership. A little after arriving at Boxers house, agp22, parted from us because of business related matters.
Boxer warmed up the F50 hoping the dry weather would hold. As previously mentioned, the top of the F50 was removed, actually the first time in my life to join a F50 drive "topless". I hardly couldn't wait...!

more to follow.............

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When Boxer pushed the starter button, the whole car started to vibrate. The engine chains behind my neck transmitted the vibrations thru my upper to lower back, my buttocks and finally to my feets resting on the carbon chassis's massive groundfloor. This experience of "feeling" the rpm's instead of only hearing them is most sensational. It strongly enhances the "cockpit" feeling. Visibility is great and the "being glued to the ground" impression starts immediately.
Once the engine temperature was o.k. (after passing the coastline again) Boxer drove along a slightly ascending, curvy road on which he "kicked" the rpm's several times into the 5 to 6' rpm range. The throttle response of the F50 is absolutely breathtaking -- immediate --strong -- linear and without ANY rolling effekt of the chassis/suspension entering the curves ! This car is a sensation.:D Every move, every cornering, braking and then renewed acceleration is felt thru the whole body and under 100% control. Inside noise is present but hardly recognized as we flew from corner to corner.

A little later, Boxer entered the freeway.........:eek: (....and total control)

Without judging anybody else opinion...for me, the F50 is my supercar.
Its technique and concept is way before anything else. The response of this structure to the driver/codriver as a driving feeling (after all what we are looking for it, isn't it?) to me is unparalleled in the streetcar arena (including the Carrera GT which, again only my opinion, is most likely faster but feels softer)
The F50 is rare and includes less compromises than anything else and in addition is drivable as a berlinetta AND as a barchetta. This is a very, very special car. To experience a drive in a F50 is spectacular. To own a F50 is a very, very rare privilege. Congratulation to everybody on this forum who has that privilege.

When flying back to Switzerland the same evening many thoughts crossed my mind on this experience. The most prominent: That the F50 and the F40 represent the perfect Ferrari Garage to me.

A big, big thank-you to Boxer for his gracious offer to spend a whole day with me on our beloved hobby and taking out his beauty's on real streets.
Thanks to people like him, we are able to create and share that common interest and experience which finally blossom's up this great forum in a way it should be.

As I understand, Boxer will post some video impressions from our day together in the next couple of days. It may enrich the impressions which I was not fully able to write in a language which is still not my natural language. Sorry for this!

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
It may enrich the impressions which I was not fully able to write in a language which is still not my natural language. Sorry for this!
Your emotions were captured perfectly. thanks for this wonderful write up. Now I need to get over to Boxer's house and get my ride! :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Your emotions were captured perfectly. thanks for this wonderful write up. Now I need to get over to Boxer's house and get my ride! :)
+1:)

That's great a way to enjoy the search for your perfect garage. Seems Boxer is a rather unique humanbeing, unbelievable kind & generous.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

That's great a way to enjoy the search for your perfect garage. Seems Boxer is a rather unique humanbeing, unbelievable kind & generous.
He really is !!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts

+1. I'm sure that we are all inspired by Boxers accounts of his wonderful garage and driving experiences. I certainly am, and in my current position without an F-Car, it's a tonic to share cyberspace with someone so enthusiastic about them. It helps to keep me going until I can afford my next Ferrari.
I recently spent a day in Boxers company at a driving event and can honestly say that he is a very kind, generous and amiable person, as well as being incredibly knowledgeable and good company.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
+1. I'm sure that we are all inspired by Boxers accounts of his wonderful garage and driving experiences. I certainly am, and in my current position without an F-Car, it's a tonic to share cyberspace with someone so enthusiastic about them. It helps to keep me going until I can afford my next Ferrari.
I recently spent a day in Boxers company at a driving event and can honestly say that he is a very kind, generous and amiable person, as well as being incredibly knowledgeable and good company.
Isn't it good to know that there are still great people like that out in the world?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
A big, big thank-you to Boxer for his gracious offer to spend a whole day with me on our beloved hobby and taking out his beauty's on real streets.
Thanks to people like him, we are able to create and share that common interest and experience which finally blossom's up this great forum in a way it should be.

As I understand, Boxer will post some video impressions from our day together in the next couple of days. It may enrich the impressions which I was not fully able to write in a language which is still not my natural language. Sorry for this!
It was a wonderful time and great to finally meet 212Export in person. He is a true gentleman and the consumate Ferrari enthusiast. His knowledge is both cars and especially Ferraris is quite impressive. Having agp22 come down and meet us for lunch just topped off a great day.

I will try to get the videos from the F40 and F50 drives uploaded shortly.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It was a wonderful time and great to finally meet 212Export in person. He is a true gentleman and the consumate Ferrari enthusiast. His knowledge is both cars and especially Ferraris is quite impressive. Having agp22 come down and meet us for lunch just topped off a great day.

I will try to get the videos from the F40 and F50 drives uploaded shortly.
And that's why we love you, Boxer.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Guys, it was great meeting up and having lunch together by the sea and one of our favorite roads with our "road blasters" parked right outside.

212Export is very friendly, a true Ferrari believer and knows his cars. Great initiative from Boxer who sure knows how to host a good meet. Thanks again.

Looking forward to more.:cool:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great videos Boxer. Fantastic sound.:cool:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Brilliant stuff guys, kudos to Boxer for sharing the passion as he always does.

I got some serious seat time with the F50 this weekend, and I will post some impressions...

Well done both of you !

·
Registered
55 Posts
f40 or f50

I get the feeling boxer is the big man at this campus... and a righteous dude:)

When Boxer pushed the starter button, the whole car started to vibrate. The engine chains behind my neck transmitted the vibrations thru my upper to lower back, my buttocks and finally to my feets resting on the carbon chassis's massive groundfloor. This experience of "feeling" the rpm's instead of only hearing them is most sensational. It strongly enhances the "cockpit" feeling. Visibility is great and the "being glued to the ground" impression starts immediately.
Once the engine temperature was o.k. (after passing the coastline again) Boxer drove along a slightly ascending, curvy road on which he "kicked" the rpm's several times into the 5 to 6' rpm range. The throttle response of the F50 is absolutely breathtaking -- immediate --strong -- linear and without ANY rolling effekt of the chassis/suspension entering the curves ! This car is a sensation.:D Every move, every cornering, braking and then renewed acceleration is felt thru the whole body and under 100% control. Inside noise is present but hardly recognized as we flew from corner to corner.

A little later, Boxer entered the freeway.........:eek: (....and total control)

Without judging anybody else opinion...for me, the F50 is my supercar.
Its technique and concept is way before anything else. The response of this structure to the driver/codriver as a driving feeling (after all what we are looking for it, isn't it?) to me is unparalleled in the streetcar arena (including the Carrera GT which, again only my opinion, is most likely faster but feels softer)
The F50 is rare and includes less compromises than anything else and in addition is drivable as a berlinetta AND as a barchetta. This is a very, very special car. To experience a drive in a F50 is spectacular. To own a F50 is a very, very rare privilege. Congratulation to everybody on this forum who has that privilege.

When flying back to Switzerland the same evening many thoughts crossed my mind on this experience. The most prominent: That the F50 and the F40 represent the perfect Ferrari Garage to me.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts