Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The weather this morning was near perfect. As soon as the sun had risen a bit above the horizon, I set out in the F40. As it has been a few weeks since the F40 ventured out of the dark confines of the garage, a prolonged warming up period was in order. Plenty of white smoke upon initial combustion but it cleared quickly after a minute or two. Several more mintues of sitting to allow the oil to start to warm up followed before we rolled sedately out of the driveway and down toward the water. The beach road was near clear at this hour which allowed for a very pleasant relaxed trundle as the heat slowly built up in the engine. The sea was a brilliant dark blue and not a cloud was to be found in the sky, at the point, the waves were crashing against cliffs, throwing up huge sprays of azure green. I turned inland at this point for a run across the top of the valley.

Down a clog, right foot down, and the engine really began to come alive. I rolled down the window at this point to better absorb the twin turbo therapy. Balancing the F40 on the throttle, I kept it in 3rd gear for the entire 10 minute run through this section. Listening to the engine spin up and down with the turbos building boost makes the whole Ferrari ownership experience worthwhile. Lifting off at the end of the run, led to the usual dumping of unburnt fuel into the exhaust and the fantastic explosions out the back. These were timed perfectly as rolled past a group of bikers getting ready to start peddling up the mountain.

From here I headed down toward the highway to give the F40 a chance to properly stretch its legs. I was a bit concerned that the clutch was soft (it is getting to the point where it needs to be bleed again) and wanted to make sure it was not beginning to slip. Hence as I came around the corner onto the ramp, I shifted from 2nd to 5th gear. With nothing but empty straight highway in front, down went the right foot. I took a quick look at the speedo and it was at 50 kph and moving rapidly right. The ensuing power build was phenominal. From 1500 to 3500 rpm, you feel the speed building in a very progressive linear fashion. Once you hit 3500 rpm, you can start to hear and feel the turbos kicking in. The future begins to start rushing towards you more quickly and then as the turbo boost gauge moves to the right side of due north, the acceleration becomes explosive. You can feel the pressure on your neck as you get a huge shove back into the seat. Through the seat you can feel the rear tires struggling to put all the power down on the road while the front lightens slightly as all the cars weight is shoved hard towards the rear. Who needs coffee?

We then ran down the highway for a few mile before getting off, spinning around and repeating the process coming back the other way. The prognosis, zero slippage, clutch is fine, just needs to be bleed again (common issue on F40s). Back across country and through a few small villages before heading back to the garage. All in all, a great drive, and one happy F40 is now slowly cooling down happy it is home.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Your story emulates the video you had posted of this route when we were discussing mufflers a while back.

Very nice.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Definitely great weather today.
Glad you cleared the dust on your engine. Mine is still at the dealership.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Very perceptive, not quite the same route but similar.
Thank you for sharing some "springtime" feeling:thumbsup:
Here, the weather is bad and temperatures are like ice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts