Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
THE GOOD
I picked the F40 up from the mechanics on Saturday morning. It was in for an annual service and cambelt change. I was pleased to be able to collect it on Saturday as I originally gave them a collection date a week later. However with nice weather finally arriving and a bit of free time on the weekend, I called up on Tuesday to see if it would be ready by the weekend. Not a problem I was informed as all the work had already been completed and all that was remaining was the test drive. Perfect.

After collection, we headed toward the highway for a brief run to a friend's house for a large BBQ. The F40 ran well and everything seemed normal. After a good 10 mintues of cruising, traffic lightened and an opportunity to spool the turbos up presented itself. As it was just back from service, I gently added power, making sure the back end stayed firmly attached to the pavement at all times. Even driving an F40 conservatively, the power rush is impressive. The whole car feels like it hunkers down and everything sharpens. After a bit of turbo induced time compression, we arrived a few minutes early.

Lunch was delightful and a personal highlight was one of the other guests telling me that a friend of his had a Ferrari as well. He asked what year mine was (1992) and then told me that his friends' was a 1993 and therefore had the newer bodystyle which he preferred.

As the sun was now well west, it was time to head back out. The F40 started up immediately and settled into a delightful rumbling idle. Once warm, slot into first, and off we went. Running at low speed on tight town roads, the F40 is very docile and easy to drive once you get used to the fact that you are looking up at everything and everything is staring directly at you as you roll past. The entrance to the highway took only a couple of minutes to reach and down the ramp we rolled. Still taking it easy, we accelerated out onto the main roadway and started running up through the gears. Now in 5th near the speed limit, we settled into the middle lane to cruise the 10 km to our exit.

THE BAD
As I glanced down at the speedo, all of a sudden the red alternator warning light came on. Crap. I glanced at all the other gauges and everything was reading exactly where it should be. The F40 also sounded like it was running perfectly normally. My first thought was it must be a short in the warning light. Just to be sure, I reduced power and pulled into the far right lane to coast while trying to figure out what the problem was. After 30 seconds and a second glance at all the dials, it was clear that the water tempature needle was running to the right at an alarmingly high rate. I guessed that we had broken a belt or blown a hose and got off at the next exit which was only a minute or two away. We then rolled into a gas station to find out what was going on.

THE ALMOST UGLY
Once in the station and stopped over to the side. We got out and opened the rear lid. The only physical sign of anything amiss was a bit of coolant overflow that had been sprayed by the left rear tire up into the wheel arch. Looking under the engine bay, nothing was leaking down and there were no strange noises coming from anywhere. Putting one (alternator) and one (water pump) together I now guessed that it must be a broken belt but was a bit confused because we had not heard any of the normal broken belt noises. Forward went the two seats and off came the rear bulkhead engine cover (this is actually easy to do). Sure enough the belt that drives the water pump and alternator was off. Unusually, it was completely intact and upon inspection completely fine. How it came off is still a mystery (not properly tensioned, water pump not properly bolted back down, freak flexing, etc). The relief at finding that the problem was just a jumped belt was considerable.

BACK TO GOOD
After a quick call to the mechanic and two cups of coffee, help arrived and the belt was refitted, properly tensioned, and tested. The coolant was topped off and back on went the bulkhead cover. After 10 minutes of warming up and listening for any signs of trouble off we rumbled, very gingerly. After a few minutes of crawling slowly and scanning the gauges for signs of trouble, we slowly added more speed. A further 15 minutes of driving around showed no signs of trouble so home we went and into the garage for the night.

Sunday morning brought clear slightly chilly weather. It was time to make sure that everything really was fine and put the F40 through its paces. Back out it came and after a long warm up, out we went. First we headed down the coast road. It was high tide and the waves were crashing heavily against the rocky coast. The spray with the sun and cliffs in the background was stunning. Once around the point and heading into the valley, with everything running normally, we added a bit more speed and started to spool up the turbos for short sprints on the straights. The F40 was handling perfectly and all the gauges were spot on. After a few mintues it was then off to the highway for the final test with more speed and a heavier right foot. The highway was completely empty which provided a perfect envirnoment for a few spool ups of the turbos, lift off, piling the rpms back on, and then a good long cool down. Not a sign of trouble and confidence was fully restored in the F40. After the scare it was great to know that all was well.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Wow, was the belt error something that the shop did when they did the cambelt service?

Chris

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Good thing it was an easy fix. I hate it when stuff like that happens. Did they put a brand new belt on?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
good to know that all is back to normal =)

and going to a barbecue with the F40? well, I hope you washed your hands before driving it!! hehehehehehe

·
Registered
66 Posts
When you open it up, the F40 is actually fairly simple isn't it ? Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't do my own belts or anything, but in this age of everything electronic and computer diagnosed, its a bit more straight forward.

Glad to hear it is back to tip top shape...they are marvellous on song !

·
Registered
374 Posts
Funny you should say that...

OK, so I didn't want to get into this, but now that you are referring to all these things with the F40 and the 360, I have to tell you that after we talked, and back from the exhibition on Sunday afternoon, I decided to take the 550 for a quick spin up and down the coast (I thought). I mean after all it was at the dealership for a while to fix that flasher thing.

So I pull it out of the garage as usual and allowed it to warm up, just sitting there. When it is reaches the 90º point, it is time to open the gate and maneuver it out onto the street. Once on the street, I read the water temp reaching past and almost at 130º! Backed it right into the driveway and shut down the engine. Water is coming out of the overflow line onto the ground next to the car. Turn the ignition on again, and do you know, the fans do not start.

So I let it rest a few hours, and later in the evening, zero traffic, hopped in, started her up without warm ups, drove straight non-stop into the dealership (didn't even reach 90º) and there it is now waiting for them to give it back :mad:

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
OK, so I didn't want to get into this, but now that you are referring to all these things with the F40 and the 360, I have to tell you that after we talked, and back from the exhibition on Sunday afternoon, I decided to take the 550 for a quick spin up and down the coast (I thought). I mean after all it was at the dealership for a while to fix that flasher thing.

So I pull it out of the garage as usual and allowed it to warm up, just sitting there. When it is reaches the 90º point, it is time to open the gate and maneuver it out onto the street. Once on the street, I read the water temp reaching past and almost at 130º! Backed it right into the driveway and shut down the engine. Water is coming out of the overflow line onto the ground next to the car. Turn the ignition on again, and do you know, the fans do not start.

So I let it rest a few hours, and later in the evening, zero traffic, hopped in, started her up without warm ups, drove straight non-stop into the dealership (didn't even reach 90º) and there it is now waiting for them to give it back :mad:
Wow, I am very sorry about that. Do keep this updated.

Chris

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Probably just a bad switch/sensor. Suggest you instruct them to check it first before doing anything else or you will end up with a Euro 500 "diagnosis" charge. Had a similar experience and took the car to the same place. We had a long pointed discussion on that bill. The part cost was about Euro 25.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Dear Comrades,

It would seem that there has been a trilogy of post-workshop 'experiences.' For I too have suffered a similar fate although not coolant related. The 512TR had been returned after the performance of the work as depicted within the images that Boxer had kindly posted. The first occasion I drove it was almost three weeks after it had been returned. It transported me happily to the gates then started to backfire terribly - the warning light for the right hand bank of cylinders was also glowing. I returned the car to the garage. I started it the next morning and it was absolutely fine. I do not believe this fault was anything to do with the dealership that performed the work. It is my belief that it was merely a coincidence that it happened upon the first occasion that I ventured out in the car after it had been returned. I suspect that it was merely a technical glitch - perhaps the cat' sensors? If anyone has any other views please advise.

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dear Comrades,

It would seem that there has been a trilogy of post-workshop 'experiences.' For I too have suffered a similar fate although not coolant related. The 512TR had been returned after the performance of the work as depicted within the images that Boxer had kindly posted. The first occasion I drove it was almost three weeks after it had been returned. It transported me happily to the gates then started to backfire terribly - the warning light for the right hand bank of cylinders was also glowing. I returned the car to the garage. I started it the next morning and it was absolutely fine. I do not believe this fault was anything to do with the dealership that performed the work. It is my belief that it was merely a coincidence that it happened upon the first occasion that I ventured out in the car after it had been returned. I suspect that it was merely a technical glitch - perhaps the cat' sensors? If anyone has any other views please advise.

With kind regards,

Vulcan
While I don't believe my comment helps any, if my memory is correct, everytime I had an engined pulled on one of Enzo's creations, there were always one or two strange mechanical issues that would occur in the first month or two of driving. It is actual one of the reasons why I prefer models where the belts can be done in-situ.

·
Registered
265 Posts
While I don't believe my comment helps any, if my memory is correct, everytime I had an engined pulled on one of Enzo's creations, there were always one or two strange mechanical issues that would occur in the first month or two of driving. It is actual one of the reasons why I prefer models where the belts can be done in-situ.
Dear Comrade Boxer,

Yes, me too. On one occasion a spark plug lead fell off after a major service!

I am a firm believer in 'If It Ain't Broke Don't Fix It' and yet still I go along with the Ferrari Mantra of "Service History, Service History, Service History" ad nauseam!

Furthermore, the hall chimney was swept yesterday and now the hearth is spilling out smoke :-(

With kind regards,

Vulcan

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
As you all are discussing all this rather nasty noises and "mouses" working along the mechanical or electrical parts of your wonderful "cavallino's" I get the impression that after all, these things are possible to be repaired -- whereas I had once a almost fatal (for my cavallino) experience. I once got back my 330 GTC after a oilfilter replacement and a watercooler repair from a official Ferrari garage in September.
After realizing that the oilfilter they charged for has not been replaced (it was still the old, leaking one) I decided to change my Ferrari concessionaire. Well in December the same year, having outside temparatures of already below 0 Celsius, my new concessionaire came by to pick up my car for the yearly service. 2 hours later he informed me by phone that there was no frost protection additive in the cooling water.......:eek: (after the watercooler repair). It would have been very nice to go out and search for a non-matching 330 engine.:mad:

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
That's terrible. You would hope that for the price Ferrari dealers charge for repairs and servicing, that they would actually do what they say and use the correct parts. I hope that you have asked for the job to be done properly and a full refund for your trouble.
Will you be going back to that particular dealer for any more work on your stable?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. I hope the dealer refunds you, because that was dangerous for the car:(

Chris

·
Registered
66 Posts
As you all are discussing all this rather nasty noises and "mouses" working along the mechanical or electrical parts of your wonderful "cavallino's" I get the impression that after all, these things are possible to be repaired -- whereas I had once a almost fatal (for my cavallino) experience. I once got back my 330 GTC after a oilfilter replacement and a watercooler repair from a official Ferrari garage in September.
After realizing that the oilfilter they charged for has not been replaced (it was still the old, leaking one) I decided to change my Ferrari concessionaire. Well in December the same year, having outside temparatures of already below 0 Celsius, my new concessionaire came by to pick up my car for the yearly service. 2 hours later he informed me by phone that there was no frost protection additive in the cooling water.......:eek: (after the watercooler repair). It would have been very nice to go out and search for a non-matching 330 engine.:mad:
The mere thought of losing an engine to something so irresponsible is maddening....that phone call would have been ugly !

1 - 20 of 26 Posts