Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke the F40 up and took it out for an early morning jaunt today. As it has been 2 weeks since I last poked the beast into life, I was prepared for it not to be particularily happy with me until we reestablished our bond. On cue, the starter kicked in and the engine immediately turned and came to life. A cloud of white smoke exploded out the rear as the F40 cleared its alimentary canal. Within 2 minutes everything had cleared, the cats had warmed, and the engine had settled into its normal idle. At this point we rolled back out of the garage and then sat for a couple more minutes to let the engine gently warm up. This is when I normally do my "pre flight" check of all the gauges and controls (discovering that something is not working properly when the turbo boost gauge is reading 1.5 is generally not good for your panel alignment, but may help put your mechanic's kid through another year of University). Everything was reading as expected and the AC was blowing nicely chilled air. I do believe that the fact that this F40 sees the road on a regular basis has a lot to do with the fact that everything works as it should.

Off we headed towards the highway without a cloud in sight. I take a extended route to the the entrance to allow for the engine to fully warm up before we begin engaging the turbos. Up the ramp, exit the curve, point the wheels straight ahead, down with the right foot, high pitched scream from the back, and objects in the windshield suddenly get a lot closer. No matter how many times I have done this, when the turbos hit full boost, it is just fantastic. Within seconds I am on my own with nothing but empty tarmac until the next crest. Coming over the hill, the valley is just covered in fog. Off comes the right foot fromt eh accelerator which instantly dumps a ton of fuel into the exhaust. The very loud poping as it burns off must give Al Gore nightmares. It is a great part of the F40 experience. However in terms of the drive, it is the end of fun. Given the conditions, it is back off at the next exit and time to head home. Not the best drive we have had, but even puttering through town in an F40 still great.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had a lot of great drives with F40's. Especially at night, with my eyes closed;) Thank you for sharing the real deal. I'll add some nice exhaust poping in my nightly F40 drives.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
The way you describe it I get a visual that reminds me of the starship Enterprise going to warp speed. :) :)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way you describe it I get a visual that reminds me of the starship Enterprise going to warp speed. :) :)
Well, when the turbos suddenly kick in, it is like entering a whole different realm of acceleration. Putting your foot down hard in 3rd gear at 2000 rpms results in a slow build of speed followed by a sudden neck snapping thrust forward. If you really push it, when the turbos kick in and the massive rear tires bite hard, it almost feels like the front end is lifting.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
... Up the ramp, exit the curve, point the wheels straight ahead, down with the right foot, high pitched scream from the back, and objects in the windshield suddenly get a lot closer. No matter how many times I have done this, when the turbos hit full boost, it is just fantastic. Within seconds I am on my own with nothing but empty tarmac until the next crest. Coming over the hill, the valley is just covered in fog...
Poetry in motion!!
:cool:

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Off comes the right foot fromt eh accelerator which instantly dumps a ton of fuel into the exhaust. The very loud poping as it burns off must give Al Gore nightmares. It is a great part of the F40 experience.
hehehehehehehe what part of the F40 experience is not great???

oh yes, there is the $$ part, but well, you couldn't expect that excess in 4 wheels to be cheap!!! hehehehehe

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Boxer,

Every time I read your stories, I feel like im sitting right there next to you…keep them coming, great inspiration.

~

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Now that is scary. Did the Doctor really say you were much better now ?
He's not afraid of the white coat people like I am.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
And yet another thread ends up in the gutter.....
:) :) :)
Sorry Boxer. The write ups of your drives are probably the best Ferrari content on this or any other site.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
And yet another thread ends up in the gutter.....
:) :) :)
Sorry Boxer. The write ups of your drives are probably the best Ferrari content on this or any other site.

Well guys…I had the gutter removed from the best content of this site.
It was just a joke….but who cares…it’s all gone.

Thanks for your help Andrew.

~

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well guys…I had the gutter removed from the best content of this site.
It was just a joke….but who cares…it’s all gone.

Thanks for your help Andrew.

~
Sorry, I actually thought it was quite funny. Having done plenty of "gutter" diving myself, I would be the last one to take issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Next time that you take the F40 out for a blast, take a woman that has never been in one , and watch her grab for the handles that are not there, when you cause the 2 turbos to bite in. Even better when you can get wheelspin in the first 3 gears......

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Boxer...just wondering for an update...is the F40 back from the shop yet?

Chris

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Next time that you take the F40 out for a blast, take a woman that has never been in one , and watch her grab for the handles that are not there, when you cause the 2 turbos to bite in. Even better when you can get wheelspin in the first 3 gears......
Been there, done that. Have turned a couple of people white out on a track. In one case I thought they had stopped breathing.

Great fun. :D

I also just sent you a PM.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts