Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today we had about 300 kilometers of Autobahn to cover before ducking into France for a few hundred more. We decided to get up early and hit the highway as the sun was coming up, hoping that this would give us a few chances of finding clear sections of highway to wind it up. The first 20 minutes on the road were not great as a slight drizzle was falling. The light rain was leaving just enough water on the road to keep us in US speed limit territory. Despite stories of the F40 having very tricky handling on anything but a dry track, so far this one behaves in a very civilized manner. All four wheels are well planted and you do not feel like the rear can go at any time. The steering is Boxer heavy in the parking lot but very percise and light as soon as you start moving at a reasonable speed. The small sports steering wheel is perfect, accurate and just the right size. The huge rears grip well but so far we have been conservative and progressive with the right foot. Brakes are well, not great. Actually a bit frightening in a car with this sort of power. They feel more like 70's/80's discs vs the those on the later 90's Ferraris. Net net, no late braking with the F40. Of the three mirrors, the drivers side door mirror works well, the rear view mirror provides a very distorted picture as it looks right through the plexiglass engine cover, and the passenger side mirror is useless.

After about 50 KM, the rain has stopped and the road is drying quickly. There are a few cars on the road and it is just 2 lanes in this area. We begin to add more speed and are now cruising very comfortably in the 160 kph range. The F40 is hardly stressed at this speed and is just purring along. Blue skys becon ahead and in 10 minutes we crest a small hill, the autobahn opens up to 3 lanes, and we have nothing but open road in front of us. I looked over at my brother, we both nodded, and down went the right foot. The 1st sensation is a very slight wiggle on the rears as the tires wrestle with the huge amount of power now being aimed at the tarmac. The noise level starts increasing rapidly and the spooling of the turbos clearly cutting through with a high pitched scream. The carbon fiber body transmits every imperfection in the road directly into the cabin. The revs quickly build to 6000 and the speedometer starts swinging past 200 kph. On many US cars, there is a warning sticker on the side mirrors that objects are much closer than they appear. This should be stuck on the windshield of the F40 facing the driver. The acceleration when the turbos kick in is unreal. Much faster than any other car I have ever driven. It feels like in 5 seconds we have gone from 160 to 250 kph. Everything is flying by at this point but the F40 is completely stable. No twitching, no shuddering, no jumpiness just happily planted on the autobahn doing exactly what it does best. As we were on a public road, I decided this was as fast as I was comfortable going and did not try to push it any further.

After about 5 minutes other cars started to appear on the horizon so off came the right foot from the accelerator. We glided back into traffic and began the process of manuvering to the front of the pack, looking for another opportunity for a high speed sprint. Over the next hour, we were able to get in three more clear runs. Several times we hit 250 kph again but never exceeded it. It seems to take very little tarmac to get up to that speed but a lot more to come back down.

By now we had run out of Germany and crossing into France, we decide to take a more leisurely approach of cruising through the valleys.

In the movie Spinal Tap, there is a great line where one of the band members is asked what is so great about a certain amp. He replies that it goes to 11. The F40 is a car that goes to 11.

More later....

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Cool! I'd like to feel that acceleration someday. :)

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
F40 Day 2 France

Crossing the border into France you notice two things immediately, the road surface improves and everyone slows down by 20-30 kph. After a few hours of high speed cruising, all of a sudden going 140 kph seems like you are just crawling along. With the sun out and rolling through the hills, this leg quickly turns into a more relaxing jaunt.

About 45 minutes into France we needed to make our 1st gas stop of the day. After filling up the twin 60 liter tanks, we headed inside for a cup of coffee. After finishing the coffee and as we turned to pay, a troop of 6 motorcycle police pulled into the station and parked their bikes along side the F40. At this stage we decide to wait inside to see what would happen. 2 of the officers immediately headed inside to the bathroom while the other four circled the car, looking into the windows and pointing at the engine. They seemed more interested in the car than anything else so we just hung back inside the service station. Deciding that we did not want to be identified as a candidate for an immediate ticket, we waited for them to roll on before heading back out on the road. Having heard several horror stories of drivers licenses being confiscated and cars impounded, especially those with foreign plates, the next hour was taken very conservatively. It is at these moments that you really feel like you are driving along in a big red bullseye for every radar trap.

The rest of the drive was uneventful barring one short moment. While passing a minivan, I noticed a bunch of kids looking out the rear window and waving. Seeing this we decided to hit the brakes, pull in behind them, wave, and flash the lights. They seemed to quite enjoy this before we pulled back out and spooled up the turbos. It was great to see all the kids enjoying the F40.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Boxer said:
Crossing the border into France you notice two things immediately, the road surface improves and everyone slows down by 20-30 kph. After a few hours of high speed cruising, all of a sudden going 140 kph seems like you are just crawling along. With the sun out and rolling through the hills, this leg quickly turns into a more relaxing jaunt.

About 45 minutes into France we needed to make our 1st gas stop of the day. After filling up the twin 60 liter tanks, we headed inside for a cup of coffee. After finishing the coffee and as we turned to pay, a troop of 6 motorcycle police pulled into the station and parked their bikes along side the F40. At this stage we decide to wait inside to see what would happen. 2 of the officers immediately headed inside to the bathroom while the other four circled the car, looking into the windows and pointing at the engine. They seemed more interested in the car than anything else so we just hung back inside the service station. Deciding that we did not want to be identified as a candidate for an immediate ticket, we waited for them to roll on before heading back out on the road. Having heard several horror stories of drivers licenses being confiscated and cars impounded, especially those with foreign plates, the next hour was taken very conservatively. It is at these moments that you really feel like you are driving along in a big red bullseye for every radar trap.

The rest of the drive was uneventful barring one short moment. While passing a minivan, I noticed a bunch of kids looking out the rear window and waving. Seeing this we decided to hit the brakes, pull in behind them, wave, and flash the lights. They seemed to quite enjoy this before we pulled back out and spooled up the turbos. It was great to see all the kids enjoying the F40.
Boxer,

Congratulations and comiserations at the same time, Congrats on the F40, Super Car, I have drove a few but never made the jump to buy one (Yet), and comiserations, because every other car you drive ever again will seem 'Normal' after the blistering F40.

Duncan (Adrian) Hamilton has a RHD (Ex Sultan Car), for Sale, I'm really tempted but he's asking alot for it?

Well Done,

Argento

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, all the stories that you tell us are great, but that was the best one

I don´t know if it is the best one "just" because to me the F40 is the best car ever made (well, it is the poster on my wall!), but who cares?

You should get paid to write that to us!! Or maybe... NOT!!! You get enough payment having fun with your F40 =)

Thanks for sharing the experience, and do write more!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Boxer,

Nice story of your F40 experience. Oh boy thats a true racingcar!

Please write more of these yummie stories!

Leander

1 - 8 of 8 Posts