Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We collected the F40 from the dealer today. The process took much longer than expected as traffic coming up on the Autobahn was terrible. By the time we finished with all the paperwork about an hour of sunshine was left and we had 200 miles to do to get back to our hotel. Sitting in the drivers seat for the first time as an owner is a combination of pure intimidation, excitement, and child like giddyness. It is impossible not to smile, for days. Then you realise that you have (in this case) almost 600 bhp behind your head in a car that weights 1300 kg and is completely devoid of ASR, ABS, etc. Stability control is provided solely by the mush mounted on the drivers neck. This is when the terror starts to set in.

Anyway it was time to finally get moving. To get the engine started you turn the key to the right, activate the active suspension, and then punch the start button. The engine fires up immediately. It is best to then sit and let it idle for several minutes while the cats and oil heat up. The clutch is heavy and percise and has a similar feel to the one in the 365 BB. Slot into 1st and we are off, slowing weaving between cars to navigate our way out of the dealership. Half the staff has come out to see us off and the only thing going through my mind is not to stall the F40 and look like a total fool in front of everyone. Fortunately all goes well and in 5 minutes we are back on the Autobahn. During this entire period I have one eye constantly glancing at the tachometer to make sure we keep it under 3000 rpm and off the turbos. At low rpms the F40 is surprising docile and easy to handle. For the first hour on the road, we cruise at 120-140 kph. At this speed it allows us to slowly start to get more comfortable with the F40 and used to how it handles. Traffic is lighter and other than 2 construction zones, where the F40s girth makes for some interesting manuvering, the first leg of the trip back goes smoothly.

One area that took a bit of figuring out happened right at dusk. Over about a 20 minute period we were flashed by what I assumed were speed cameras about 5 times (the autobahn does have speed restricted areas with plenty of cameras). What was confusing was that we were actually obeying the speed limits in these zone. The last time it happened I finally caught onto what was happening. It was people in other cars with digital cameras taking pictures as we slowly cruised by. I guess this is one 14 year old used car that still gets peoples attention ;)

more to follow tomorrow when we will see how fast it really goes..... or more likely how fast the new owner and his brother dare push it before backing off.....

·
Registered
300 Posts
Man, this is sooooo cool. Good luck with the new car.
Best
Jurgen

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Excellent story! Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Boxer, YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

please, LOTS of pictures and storys for us =D

congratulations, you got the lady of everyone´s dreams!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts