Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:roll:

I'm currently living in Switzerland but will return to the UK in mid 2006. One of the benefits of returning to the UK is the option to bring a car back tax free if I've owned it for more than 6 months. As the F40's in Europe seem to be between 10-20% cheaper than they are in the UK I'm seriously thinking about tracking down my dream Ferrari and taking one home. Although a keen Ferrari owner/enthusiast for over 20 years the F40 is major league expenditure for me and I don't want to make a huge mistake. So I would appreciate any advice about the F40 e.g.

Is there are particular year/model I should go ?
I often see reference to No Cat, No adjust, new tanks - Can someone please explain this terminology?
Are the Swiss cars restricted and if they are is de-restriction easy?
Do's, when buying one ?
Don’ts, when buying one ?
What to look for ?

I appreciate that everything on the F40 is really expensive, but an early warning on what's eye wateringly expensive would be appreciated.

I'm sure that some people will take the view, that if you have to ask you can't afford, but in my case I do have to ask because I can only just afford the realization of a dream.

All assistance will be very gratefully received.

Regards

Dave

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I can´t give you any advice, but the F40 is also my dream 8)

Good luck with your search!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
We share a common dream. On the F40 prices, I am not sure that they are really trading hands at a premium in the UK vs Europe. Asking prices in the UK are higher but actual selling prices are below this. Given the size of the expenditure, I would recommend talking to an experienced Broker and have them help you with the purchase (I can recommend 1 in Belgium and another in the UK, send me a PM if you would like the contact details). One other comment, if the car is currently registered in the EU, then you do not have any taxes/duties bringing it into the UK.

Keith Bluemel's book, Original Ferrari V8 has a good detailed chapter on the F40.

A couple of things that should be checked, clutch hydralics, cambelt tensioners, fuel tank replacement, and when all the hoses/rubber seals were replaced (needed given the age of all F40's)

Good luck.

·
Registered
220 Posts
A friend recently bought a F40 for around £185 K. He is registered on FerrariChat.com under username Albert V8. I'm sure he'll be happy to answer your questions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts