Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What info is there on the cam variator problem on 360's? Is there a parts source other than dealers? If you have shop manual info on the changeout please contact me or post. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
F360 Cam Variators

Here is the info I have on this issue including the factory notification.

Thisis applicable to all 1999's and some 2000's.
Gcalo, Thanks for this info. I believe Ricambi sells the new variator. mcwzrd.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daniel is the one.

What year is your car and why new variators?
The car is a 2000 and has a serial number that falls within the group where there have been variator failures due to over-torquing during factory assembly of engine. The drawing you sent shows an engineering change that probably strengthens the part at the area just above the threads where the failures were occurring. The factory has very indirectly, without really admitting to a problem, been advising changing both variators at belt change service on all chassis numbers prior to 125418. Needless to say, variator failure at the wrong time could result in serious engine damage and the kind of repair bill we all dread thinking about.

Have you seen or do you have available Technical Information #949, dated
July 2001? That is one I would like to see because it was probably the first issued on the problem. However, it may not add to what we already know.
Prior to my inquiry were you aware of this problem?
Tom.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I will check beause I believe I have all the Ferrari notices for the 360.

Give me a while to find it.

I believe it's on my office computer. I'll have to check Monday when i get in. Sorry.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a 360 that was mfg before the cutoff on the variator change at the factory and it does not have the stamp on the heads. I am going to change the timing belts and need to know 2 things.

there are 2 part numbers on the old and updated parts. Can you see the part numbers on the parts when installed on the cam?

Since overtorqueing/ shoulder length is the situation that causes a problem, have there been any problems with cars that have say 20K+ miles? If there have been NO problems with the older part number in higher mileage cars, it seems to be better to wait until the variatior fails to work properly to replace them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts