Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the F355 be worth more money in the future just like the 50s and 60s Ferrari's?

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Will the F355 be worth more money in the future just like the 50s and 60s Ferrari's?
Most likely not to that extreme, due to the high production numbers.

Chris

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
But I do believe the prices will eventually go back up from where they are now. This economy is taking a toll on car prices exotic or not.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
But I do believe the prices will eventually go back up from where they are now. This economy is taking a toll on car prices exotic or not.
I hope they are low in about 10-15 years because I will be in the market for one;)

Chris

·
Registered
6,404 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
With 10,000 produced, the F355 will never qualify as an "Investment Grade" Ferrari.

Of the models produced post 1975 the only ones I would rate long term as possible investments are:

Fiberglass 308 GTB
512 BB
288 GTO
F40
F50
Enzo
550 Barchetta
Challenge Stradale
430 Scuderia

and the last three on the list are still depreciating.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Supply versus Demand. Depends what the future brings. Look at the high volume produced muscle cars and compare it to them. As years pass, alot of those cars are wrecked, used for parts, supped up. I think it is at the lowest level it can be right now. Regardless, it will cost over $25K to do a mechanical restoration on them so how much lower could it go. If I had $70K to invest, I rather purchase a 355 Spider and justify it as an investment and enjoy life rather than have a bunch of wannabees in New York invest my hard earned dollars.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Actually it's worse than that--over 11,373 355's made..
With 10,000 produced, the F355 will never qualify as an "Investment Grade" Ferrari.

Of the models produced post 1975 the only ones I would rate long term as possible investments are:

Fiberglass 308 GTB
512 BB
288 GTO
F40
F50
Enzo
550 Barchetta
Challenge Stradale
430 Scuderia

·
Registered
6,212 Posts

Fiberglass 308 GTB
512 BB
288 GTO
F40
F50
Enzo
550 Barchetta
Challenge Stradale
430 Scuderia

I would add, Mondial T coup Valeo, or if in US, cabriolet Valeo....at least they will be stable.

What do you think of the 308 fiber in terms of a well sorted for a price today. AND as future investment, would it just be stable or increase [thinking increase due to inflation but stable overall]

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I think the 355 will always be a desirable car just for its gorgeous look, and compared to the 348 it packs much more HP. However, desirable doesn't make it valuable, and given the well publicised problems with valves and manifolds and the servicing costs combined with large production numbers, I can't really see prices going anywhere but down in the next 5 - 10 years, and 348's will be worth even less. Best guess on price for a good full history, low mileage car is in the same region as good ABS 328's or very early 308's and then stying flat for about 15 - 20 yrs before they slowly creep up again. Good low mile 30+ year old 308's are only fetching £30K in the UK, so I don't see how a 355 will fetch more in another 10/15 yrs

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think the 355 will always be a desirable car just for its gorgeous look, and compared to the 348 it packs much more HP. However, desirable doesn't make it valuable, and given the well publicised problems with valves and manifolds and the servicing costs combined with large production numbers, I can't really see prices going anywhere but down in the next 5 - 10 years, and 348's will be worth even less. Best guess on price for a good full history, low mileage car is in the same region as good ABS 328's or very early 308's and then stying flat for about 15 - 20 yrs before they slowly creep up again. Good low mile 30+ year old 308's are only fetching £30K in the UK, so I don't see how a 355 will fetch more in another 10/15 yrs
328s and 308s were trading as low as the $20K range. Now some of those cars are in the $70K plus range, and I have seen a super low mileage one sell for $90K. I am no fortune teller, but I think those cars are trading at their lows. Even if they go lower, I think the good quality serviced cars will always trade more than a new Lexus.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Oh my, archie, were to begin, I'm not sure I'm finding much room for agreement in everything here, but you do have the more experience.

So, let me see if I can tell you what I see as problems here:

I think the 355 will always be a desirable car just for its gorgeous look, and compared to the 348 it packs much more HP.
good so far. I still believe the 348 is a nice looker, but I'd redo the rear from square to round ... just me. Shoot, I'd redo the rear of the new CA if I could.

However, desirable doesn't make it valuable,
I'm thinking the opposite here. High desire makes for more demand. Unless one is saying there are so many that the value is worthless, well then true, but even high numbers of 355's, as they deplete over the years due to high depletion of lousy drivers, poor maintenance etc. will make their prices more stable.

prices today are totally due to economy. otherwise all Ferraris would be doing much better.

and given the well publicised problems with valves and manifolds and the servicing costs combined with large production numbers, I can't really see prices going anywhere but down in the next 5 - 10 years,
Some truth here....but some 355's are sorted out. So I only see the servicing being an issue. That is, engine out stuff for pumps belts etc.

Even IF in situ, there will need some stuff to be done that even the 308/328's are better done with engine out....maintenance is higher, no doubt. and the F1, well keep adding.

and 348's will be worth even less.
always, but that's like saying a 360 will always be less than a 430: given

Best guess on price for a good full history, low mileage car is in the same region as good ABS 328's or very early 308's
Sorry, this is where we break ranks, but truthfully, what do I know.

Early 308's guessing glass we are talking, would command a higher price: that's a given. In a league of its own. Like a true C&F Dino. So, might well command the price of any, common 355 [not the better ones] but highly doubt it. Why? sheer number of 'common' 355s vs specialized 355.

How could an older technology ABS 328 ever compete with any 355 in terms of same value? I know the 3x8 two seaters command more, but the Magnum crowd is getting older and, well, new memories are building.

355 is a similar venue as the older two seaters, which will always make it the same, exact market. Today's 3x8 2seaters are holding becuase they are being sorted out, and there is that generation still alive that remembers magnum.....not saying it's not desireable, but, that's my generation and, well, there are other up and coming who LOVE the 360+ series more even. just saying.

and then stying flat for about 15 - 20 yrs before they slowly creep up again.
ONLY if well maintained....otherwise same story as 'issue' 3x8 series.

Good low mile 30+ year old 308's are only fetching £30K in the UK, so I don't see how a 355 will fetch more in another 10/15 yrs
ok, now I'm confused by this latter statement. Are we saying 355's will be in the 30k range in 30years+? Or that 308 series will command more or same as any 355: if the latter then that will not happen for a similarily cared for car.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nobody has a crystal ball and the dollar today is not the same value to the dollar in ten years. I purchased over a dozen cars in the past two years and I am probably down over 50% in value. I would lose my ass off if I were to sell the cars today. I hope it does not come to that and I am still happy with the exotic cars in my current collection. The values changed, the cars did not. If your 355 Spider does depreciate by 50%, it is because of the lack of demand. On the flipside, I just got $30K on my 2005 MB S600 I purchased three years ago for $150K. The point I am trying to make is do not buy the car if you are going to lose sleep that the car will depreciate in value in the future. Buy it because you love the car and reward yourself for the hard work you have accomplished and treat yourself out. Look at all of the fond memories you will cherish ten years from now with your Ferrari; Price for that; PRICELESS. GO BUY THE CAR, TAKE TONS OF PICTURES AND SHARE THEM WITH US. NO MORE WHINING. You will enjoy life better and it will motivate you to work harder.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Yup: should be the final word. Didn't enter this stuff for investment unless one counts the endless return on driving them and sporting them as return...PRICELESS.

sorry, I love the cat stuff....

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
NBuy it because you love the car and reward yourself for the hard work you have accomplished and treat yourself out. Look at all of the fond memories you will cherish ten years from now with your Ferrari; Price for that; PRICELESS. GO BUY THE CAR, TAKE TONS OF PICTURES AND SHARE THEM WITH US. NO MORE WHINING. You will enjoy life better and it will motivate you to work harder.

Should write what you said with GOLD INK and put it on top of the door of all those who are hunting to buy a ferrari now.

Thats was really really the truth behind it.
The time we might wanna think while crossing our finger to see the raise of price in the car,
we can spend to do some real business making another ferrari....
Very much right.

Cheers mate

·
Registered
260 Posts
Should write what you said with GOLD INK and put it on top of the door of all those who are hunting to buy a ferrari now.

Thats was really really the truth behind it.
The time we might wanna think while crossing our finger to see the raise of price in the car,
we can spend to do some real business making another ferrari....
Very much right.

Cheers mate
A lot of my exotics have gone done in value 50% or more. I am glad I sold my Carrera GT for $400K, F40 for $485K, and Ford GT for $185K last year. Once I know I am restabilized and the credit markets have somewhat stabilized, I would like to purchase those cars back at a lower price to average down on my cost factor. If the prices spike up and I am able to afford it and not lose sleep at night, I will pull the trigger. Those cars are limited edition cars and values will go up and down depending on the supply and demand. I rather purchase a car when I know I am comfortable with the economy and not lose sleep at night and pay a higher price instead of scrambling my nickels together and overextending myself due to the fact that I think it will be a great investment and the value will go up. Who ever thought a $50 per share stock like Citibank will be trading at $3 per share. If you are really concerned about future value and will be nervous everytime there is a downward market fluctuation, keep your money in the bank. It is not worth the stress or your wife bitching at you day and night.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I think your spellchecker mistakenly supplanted the word "mattress" by "bank" there... :)

Onno

LOL ;) : corrected, unless you meant a dutch translation.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts