Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, I'm considering buying my first Ferrari, a 355B. I've been hooked on Ferraris ever since my Grandad bought a 308GT4 in 1978. I'd like to know the general running costs, services, commonly used parts etc. It will be used as a dry weekend car (not common here in the UK I know!) and should(!) only cover 5-6000 miles a year. Any comments on living with a 355 would be welcome.

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
575 Posts
It should be one of the easiest cars to own and operate. It was the most popular (over 11000 made).

Avoid the early cars as they had problems with valve guide wear, but if this has been taken care of by a reputable shop, then consider it. Other than that, it should pose no other problems.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No problemo

As far as I can tell with mine (a '98 GTS F1 with now 32'000km on the tacho), it's a pretty reliable car as far as the essential functions go, and as long as you pay respect to the mechanics.
Make sure that the timing belts have been changed on the one you buy, and then should have 4 years (or 40'000km) of piece of mind, with a yearly oil change (I pay mine 1000CHF=roughly 500£) and the consumables (tires, brake pads).
The timing belts change is around 3500CHF.
Fuel consumption is even reasonnable.

When you buy, make sure though that all the accessories work, these cars are real crap in this area. My mechanics did not yet get the fuel gauge to work accurately, the interior squeaks, I have had a couple of times the gear indicator blinking for no clear reason, and now the front hood won't open neatly because the latch cable is a little loose. You want a car in PERFECT condition and this is not a given, so be picky !

Tires last amazingly long, I've done 13'000km with the rear Expedia S01, they are now dead but they went thru 2 track days, serious mountain driving and occasional (sometimes unexpected) power slides. I just don't do drag starts from a standstill (both in respect for the tires and the clutch). I guess this is the good side of having no low end torque :)
Fronts lasted even longer, I highly recommend the Expedia S01 (except in cold wet weather where the car gets really tricky as a whole).

Oh, one last piece of advice: buy a GTS. GTB owners have no idea what they miss in terms of noise, the V8 shrieks, howls and mumbles in ways that make a drive with the roof on almost dull in comparison. I hope I am not frustrating any fellow GTB or Modena owner, but the GTS (and the spider too I suppose) are tough to beat in this area.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Welcome to the forum Dan

I hope you will find you car.
and you should ask Richard (RoryTiger) he has a 355 F1 and lives in London

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks for your replys. After adding up the various costs that owning an F355 over the period of a year will be, owning such a fantastic car doesn't really cost that much (if like me you plan to drive it 5-6000 miles a year). Basically I'm on a strict budget as I'm not on a super high salary and I'm not a millionaire but I don't drink, smoke and you can count on both hands the number of nights out I've had since I was 21 (I'm 26 now) so I think I deserve something to show for being couped up in the house for years :D and every red blooded male/female dreams of owning a Ferrari (right?!?) But I do have one worry though, I only have a single garage built into my house, it's heated by a radiator and will have a de-humidifier in there too. I've 150 inches to play with lengthwise and 88 inches widthwise at the entrance, will a 355 fit? If not lengthwise then the utility part of the garage will need some rethinking.....

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dimensions

According to the press doc I have here (too lazy to pick up the official user manual in the car), the car is:
- 190cm wide (=74 inches), don't know if it is the body or mirrors included
- 425cm long (=167 inches), that will fit anywhere.
Most problematic is the width, there are few normally sized parking spots (or garage openings for that matter) where you feel you have plenty of room.

Bear in mind one small detail: getting into the garage is one thing, getting out of the car is another story. Doors are extremely long, you can forget it if you only have 88 inches inside. Usual problems with coupés, but a real handicap in the real world.

... and yes, you certainly deserve your purchase, and you're unlikely to regret it: these crappy cars are worth every penny they cost ;-)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Make sure you can afford the unnexpected things. Water pumps arent cheap and can go. every 30k miles or 5 years you have to shell out (inthe US) about $3000 or more for a service. IT isnt buying the car that is expensive, but maintaining it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts