Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the add! I have a new to me 2006 F430. The transmission seems to have a mind of it's own. It will intermittently go from manual mode to auto and back all by itself.
Been doing this for a few weeks. Yesterday I went to put the car in neutral prior to starting and it refused. I left it in 1st and started the engine. It would then go into auto and F1 beep
then back to manual then back to auto. Pushing the auto button made no difference. Took it for a drive and it switched back and forth for around five miles, then settled down. Then
back to switching. Your thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just had the car serviced 1,000 miles ago. Just an inspection and oil change was all they said was needed. Just checked the F1 fluid and level seems correct. Seems like the lion share is when first cold start of the day. Won’t go into neutral, then after starting goes back and forth from neutral to 1st gear.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It isn't just about fluid levels. Fluids sitting in the system can deteriorate. You should be changing the F1 fluids every two years; that is what I do and I have had no issues with my F430 in the 8+ years of ownership. When was the last time the F1 fluids were changed? Anyway good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the add! I have a new to me 2006 F430. The transmission seems to have a mind of it's own. It will intermittently go from manual mode to auto and back all by itself.
Been doing this for a few weeks. Yesterday I went to put the car in neutral prior to starting and it refused. I left it in 1st and started the engine. It would then go into auto and F1 beep
then back to manual then back to auto. Pushing the auto button made no difference. Took it for a drive and it switched back and forth for around five miles, then settled down. Then
back to switching. Your thoughts are appreciated!
Joe - I could not believe this when I read your post - but I am having almost the identical issue with my 2001 360 Spider F1. At it began a few months ago... I guess in the Fall, at random times while driving in Auto it would change to N (neutral). This was alarming to me when accelerating during gear shift changes. My resolve was to engage the Up Shift Paddle and it goes in to 6....

I visited my Trusted Service Manager (James) @ Ferrari of Washington, and I was concern/suspected that the F1 fluid may be low, but he suggested that if it was not low fluid - it was the canister located beside the F1 fluid tank. I suspect that the cause.

Please do post if you discover and confirm something otherwise.

Thanks,
Apache ~

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lucky for me I guess, it goes from neutral to 1st gear when I’m sitting still in the garage, never while moving. It just goes from manual to auto randomly while driving.

·
Registered
6,248 Posts
Really sounds like the selection button to me.

Reactions: Joe Larussa
1 - 9 of 9 Posts