·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
F1 Paddle Shift vs. Stick Shift.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I'm going with a stick when I find a 355. I understand F1 is faster, but I'm one of those traditionalists that believe the more the driver is involved, the better. I'd even like to see Formula 1 go back to sticks, now that the technology is about fully-developed. Not sure if longterm maintenance costs on a F1 would be more than a clutch, but I would expect so. And I believe you pay a real premium on a new car for an F1. My vote... manual stick with a clutch.

Rick

·
Registered
65 Posts
PS - I also recall reading that a 355 F1 has a 1st-generation hydraulic clutch design which wears profusely in stop and go traffic, due to engaging/disengaging. I understand they redesigned the F1 for the 360 to eliminate the problem.
Rick

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
I've never driven a proper F1 style paddle gearshift car, but on my last Audi (3.0 V6) I had a 6 speed multi-tronic with buttons on the wheel for changing up and down, I never used it. Most of the time I just used the kickdown mode but if I wanted to feel like I was driving the car properly I used the stick. When I bought my current Audi, I didn't bother paying the extra for the option as I thought it was a waste of money.
For me, using the stick makes you feel more connected to the car.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Stick! Click-clack!!
Definitely, I've got a turned stainless steel ball on the top of the 328's stick, I love the noise my wedding ring makes on the ball and the noise the stick makes on the open gate when I'm shifting. Paddles can't make that sound, it's all part of the Ferrari experience.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm still a newbie but in the serious hunt for the right 355. I have driven both F1s and Sticks in my search. Maybe its just because I'm a "Ferrari Newbie" but the gated shifter feel really appeals to me. I'm told this 1st gen (consumer)F1 can be rather expensive on the repairs compared to a stick tranny.

Just met someone on a flight back home who is a Ferrari owner He swears by the F1 however not in a 355. He says the 360 and 430 are much smoother and faster and are the way to go if you want paddle shifters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
The stick, to me, seems archaic. Someone mentioned Formula 1 using the paddles. They don't even upshift anymore. There is a reason for that... It takes out the unreliable human factor of the perfect shift. That will allow for accurate, quick, consistent, reliable shifting, with probably a longer life on the transmission, because there is no human to miss a shift point. I don't see a down side, unless you're one of those nostalgic owners who prefers a 'stick' to call it a manual.

There are also some of those who preferred the old manual typewriters that required no power, in order to call it journalism.

I'm a fan of the paddles, and I also like the idea of having an automatic when I want to just cruise (DB9).

But you show me a person who can shift in .15 secs, at the perfect rpm, everytime, without missing a gear, over 1000 times, and maybe I'll change my perspective. But I, for one, am not that good, and I appreciate technology accounting for my shortfalls (to a point).

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The stick, to me, seems archaic. Someone mentioned Formula 1 using the paddles. They don't even upshift anymore. There is a reason for that... It takes out the unreliable human factor of the perfect shift. That will allow for accurate, quick, consistent, reliable shifting, with probably a longer life on the transmission, because there is no human to miss a shift point. I don't see a down side, unless you're one of those nostalgic owners who prefers a 'stick' to call it a manual.

There are also some of those who preferred the old manual typewriters that required no power, in order to call it journalism.

I'm a fan of the paddles, and I also like the idea of having an automatic when I want to just cruise (DB9).

But you show me a person who can shift in .15 secs, at the perfect rpm, everytime, without missing a gear, over 1000 times, and maybe I'll change my perspective. But I, for one, am not that good, and I appreciate technology accounting for my shortfalls (to a point).
Ever try to drive car with an F1 transmission in heavy or stop and go traffic?

The real world is far removed from the race track.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes, it's a nightmare. But most F1 transmissions allow the user to switch from full auto, to manual paddle-shifting. I see this as the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Great Discussion! Everyone has their preferences on what they like to drive, and to each his own. I'm glad F1 trannys are available for those that like them.

As far as racing goes, I think it's currently possible from a technical standpoint to completely eliminate the driver. Put enough sensors and computers in the car, with GPS, in track sensors, or whatever, and let the machines fight it out! But that's not my idea of racing... my view is keep driver skill, including shifting, as part of the "sport". :)

Rick

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
As far as racing goes, I think it's currently possible from a technical standpoint to completely eliminate the driver. Put enough sensors and computers in the car, with GPS, in track sensors, or whatever, and let the machines fight it out! But that's not my idea of racing... my view is keep driver skill, including shifting, as part of the "sport". :)

Rick
True, we are very close technically. In fact you could eliminate pilots from fighter planes today if you really wanted to.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
True, we are very close technically. In fact you could eliminate pilots from fighter planes today if you really wanted to.
That would be a good idea, it might stop some of the mistakes and friendly fire incidents, and if it didn't they could just blame it on the computer. completely removing any blame from the pilot who often only has a split second to decide from 2000 feet and travelling at almost supersonic speeds if the target is friend or foe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ok. point taken. the manual 'stick' does lend itself to a more 'in-tune' feeling with the driving experience...

that said, I'm sure you've all heard about the new dual-clutch transmission. How do you suppose that will work with a manual clutch?

1 - 20 of 257 Posts