Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I prowl about ebay all the time...missed out on a few GOOD exhaust systems for the Mondial T which is sorta low on the priority list...

HAD, always past tense, like the gal I coulda asked to the prom or the fish that got away, a true Tubi for about $1,200 used...didn't bid :wall:

BUT, many have said it might be possible to just buy the OEM and have a local shop cut and wack it a bit, and try for a sound that way.

I'm thinking, eh?!... so on ebay a T muff and I'm thinking with purchase, ship, cut, paste install about $800...BUT, then what.

anyone done this before...any suggestions

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350142617243&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I have seen people who have made custom exhausts for the 308 that came out pretty nice. 2 glasspacks with some custom tubing. There should be plenty of high end exhaust shops in your area in California that do custom work. Take the car over there, tell them what you want and let them put it up on the lift for a look over and have them give you an estimate. I would think you could get a custom exhaust for well under $1,000 installed. It won't be stainless but that shouldn't matter. Save the old exhaust to put back on the car should you ever want to sell it.

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Mr. Rik,

Here's my advice. Don't cut and paste an exhaust. No benefit.

I'll turn you on to Russ Turner who developed a very nice system for his Mondial by way of my tutoring and my advice.

He is ecstatic with the results and it sounds absolutely fantastic. It's a true free flow and it's not noisey.

He saved a ton of weight and now has a superb system. I am certain he would share with you exactly what he used and how he constructued it.

Here's his Youtube presentation: www.youtube.com/watch?v=dknY5U122o4

This is the way to go.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that's the sound I'm looking for. Ball park price?

Brian sells systems he recommends...

BTW, 456 in shop, will have to ask Brian if that chip fixer guy can work in Brian's shop, or not....liability and getting in the way and all.....I'm not sure one would allow such.

BUT, having the rear shocks rebuilt and it'll be on blocks for awhile.

rik

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
Luis could do it at your place. You would not believe the difference when Luis is done. I can tell you from experience! He's a pro.

Brian's shop too busy for Luis to work there.

Is Brian having the shocks rebuilt?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luis could do it at your place. You would not believe the difference when Luis is done. I can tell you from experience! He's a pro.

Brian's shop too busy for Luis to work there.

Is Brian having the shocks rebuilt?

Yup. Feel very lucky on that. When he recommends a person knows his stuff, well, I'm for it. Cost vs new is huge.

Figured about Brian's shop, didn't want to impose...certainly not.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So now back on track with the title of the thread- Mondial exhaust.

Did you see what I posted?

yup: Did you see post #4, 1st sentence?

I like that sound....just wondering on the ball park price.

it's bling at the moment...but necessary ... a bit tame on the OEM exhaust

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
I missed that part of the post.

I have closely examined the Remus line.

It's ok but not great. Not true free flow exhausts but ok. Better than the too bee!

What Russ did was exceptional and it was not expensive.

That would be a better route for you.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok.

ball park.... about a grand?

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bump

ok, talked with Russ several days ago, and now this

appears on ebay: for only a few hundred dollars http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3AIT&viewitem=

I could have it modified [I like this idea best as the brackets are not that big a deal]

so, on the first thought, mod 348 tubis, anyone have some insight as to greater than bracket problems. I see little negative here, and the price is great.

rik

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Attachments

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
without knowing the internals, how do we know? It looks light, and can't say anything more on the sound....and that's a fast reply: don'y you ever sleep

·
Registered
3,627 Posts
How can I sleep when ther are so many questions to be answered?

Any muffler that has gasses entering into the center of the main housing is as restriuctive as saran wrap on one's face!

There are too many right angle paths for the gasses and there is no free flow!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts