Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,it's my second thread.As i posted in my last thread i bought a 360 f1 modena.One day me and my friends were talking abouth cars and they started telling me that an evo 9 is quicker than my 360 in a circuit. Maybe in a tight circuit but i still don't believe it.I think that in an open circuit the 360 is far quicker than the evo.Please,tell me your opinions.They also told that in a mountain road the 360 can't even follow the evo.what do you think? If the evo is quicker that would be shame for the brand.:( (both cars stock).If the evo is quicker ,why is that ? it has better handling and takes better the corners?:drive:

·
Registered
45 Posts
accodring to Top Gear...

the evo 8 does their test track in 1:28.9
the 360 CS does it in 1:22.3 (i know you dont have a CS, but its the only 360 they have)
the evo fq 400 does it in 1:24.8

so the evo on steroids is slower than the 360 on steroids.

seriously though, who cares. If there was an evo in my driveway, and a ferrari 360 in my driveway, id hop in the ferrari without a second thought.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Well Sergiogalfas360, the answer is yes and no…

The Evo 9 is a fast car built for racing, rally and to compete against the WRX STI, and both are AWD.

Now to answer your question, here is a little information on what your friends know little to almost nothing about cars and racing or else they wouldn’t have said those comments. Every track is different or else, Ferrari’s F1 Team would win every race, hold every record and nobody would come close and say any different.

First off, the driver makes a big difference and sometimes can make a car do things most people wouldn’t even think that car could do on a track.

Second, every track is very different from one another. It’s the purpose of racing, to make things challenging, to see where experience, knowledge, performance and driving skills are. So you take two cars, an Evo 9 and a 360. On a specific track the Evo could smoke the 360 hands down every time (now when I say smoke I mean 2-3 seconds per lap). Then move to another track and the Evo cant ever read the license plate of the 360. This is why all tracks are different from one another, no two are the same.

Both cars have different power lines (bhp and torque) on their RPM curve. This is why depending on the track some cars do better than others and vice versa on different tracks.

If your friends were given a choice of two new cars in front of them, an Evo 9 and a 360…five minutes later, a block down the street behind the wheel of the 360, they wouldn’t even remember what color the Evo was…

So next time when your friends want to talk “cars and racing” tell them to learn their shit before talking shit.

P.S. Welcome to the forum…

~

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Magnum6464, I couldn't have said it better

the Evo is a very nice car, but like JC said, the Ferrari is a scaled down version of God hehehehehe

·
Registered
250 Posts
An Evo Mitsubishi, 'quicker" than a Ferrari 360!
I wouldn't be suprised...
Have a look at it against the Lambo Murcielago on Top Gear!
jeremy Clarkson is very positive about it!

Go onto this link
www.car2max.com/topgear
There are various videos on Top Gear plus the Evo in action!

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
All Evo models are not legal in Canada and Mitsubishi or anyone else is not allowed to import them in Canada. As well, all insurance companies refuse to insure them.

Only the base model Lancer is available and the reason is because the Evo does not have a safe turning radius and any 30-40 mph front impact results in a total vehicle loss as far as repair cost vs. price of the depreciated value of the car after one year. For those who can’t figure out why, here are the reasons. Everything important is located at the front of the car, so costs include the front bumper, fog lights, radiator, intercooler, turbo, A/C compressor and all the plumbing. Since this is a high performance car, the Government and insurance companies know frontal impacts are very frequent so they will not let the Evo be registered into Canada.

Because the cost of this car is close to 45k w/tax and Mitsubishi offers a 7 year lease, they know a younger crowd will be buying this car that have no driving skills for a car of this magnitude.

Statistics show that 46 to 49% of all accidents involved are passenger cars.
Of all accidents, 43 to 49% are frontal impacts.
And of those frontal impacts, 33 to 36% are poles or trees.

Here in Canada, insurance is based on driving years, amount of accidents/speeding tickets you have had and the last decision factor in the price you will pay is the collision rate on that car across Canada per year. I used to own a 97 Civic hatch base model with a perfect driving record (goes up to 10 years) and I paid $1200.00 per year for insurance. A friend of mine had the same car but had 2 accidents and 3 speeding tickets and he paid $3800.00 a year and both our cars were worth less than 6K after 5 years. I bought a new Sierra 2500 SLT Crew Cab 4X4 in 2004 and my insurance is only $490.00 a year. So I was paying $700.00 more for a car worth 6K than a truck worth 65K….figure that one out !?!?!?!?!

Oh, I almost forgot, insurance on a 65K 1992 Ferrari 348 is $890.00 for full coverage with $100.00 deductibles for collision/fire/theft.

~

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The power of the Evo is based on massive turbo chargers and it suffers from quite significant turbo lag. For it to be effective it has to be in a situation where it can stay on boost. Power in the 360 is linear. On a tight circuit or short sprint, the 360 will be quicker every time. On an oval, the Evo might pull away.

Turbo lag is an interesting challenge to drive with. Off the line just about any sports car can keep up with the F40. A couple of seconds later they are trying to count the number of tailpipes....

·
Registered
218 Posts
Since this is a high performance car, the Government and insurance companies know frontal impacts are very frequent so they will not let the Evo be registered into Canada.

Here in Canada, insurance is based on driving years, amount of accidents/speeding tickets you have had and the last decision factor in the price you will pay is the collision rate on that car across Canada per year. I used to own a 97 Civic hatch base model with a perfect driving record (goes up to 10 years) and I paid $1200.00 per year for insurance. A friend of mine had the same car but had 2 accidents and 3 speeding tickets and he paid $3800.00 a year and both our cars were worth less than 6K after 5 years. I bought a new Sierra 2500 SLT Crew Cab 4X4 in 2004 and my insurance is only $490.00 a year. So I was paying $700.00 more for a car worth 6K than a truck worth 65K….figure that one out !?!?!?!?!

Oh, I almost forgot, insurance on a 65K 1992 Ferrari 348 is $890.00 for full coverage with $100.00 deductibles for collision/fire/theft.

~
Hi Magnum,
you stated 2 interesting facts about your country.
First Canada restricts you from having an Evo because it is too expensive to fix? Very interesting idea, but somehow I doubt it. Every car is expensive to fix after front impact, except for a rear engined car, and they are all but few.
Even the most common turbo diesel car is as complicated as that evo.
Is there any other explanation why the Evo is banned?

The insurance numbers you mentioned totally confused me. you paid 1200$ for civic, but 700 for a truck, and only 900 for a ferrari. So the civic seems to the most luxurious car?

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Hi Magnum,
you stated 2 interesting facts about your country.
First Canada restricts you from having an Evo because it is too expensive to fix? Very interesting idea, but somehow I doubt it. Every car is expensive to fix after front impact, except for a rear engined car, and they are all but few.
Even the most common turbo diesel car is as complicated as that Evo.
Is there any other explanation why the Evo is banned?

The insurance numbers you mentioned totally confused me. You paid 1200$ for civic, but 700 for a truck, and only 900 for a Ferrari. So the civic seems to the most luxurious car?

Let see if I can explain this again, you misread the insurance part so I will break it up to be easier to understand, no worries…

Not just because it’s too expensive to fix in so many words…

When insurance companies refuse to insure a car the Automobile Association (Ministry of Transportation) investigates why…

One reason as well is the turning radius was inadequate for safety maneuvers (especially with your winters here) and frontal impacts are always guaranteed in winter accidents.

After a year the worth of the car (depreciation) is less than the cost to fix it for such a low speed frontal impact (30-40 mph). So breaking it down a little further, it means the front crash supports (bumper shocks, structure etc.) are not adequate enough and results in repairs that go over the cost of the car and then the car is considered a total loss. Now if the vehicle has a frontal impact of 60 to 70 mph the car is considered unsafe and can cause loss of life and is unacceptable for Canadian regulations.

Lets go a little further, the car is worth 30K the repair cost is lets say 32K including all airbags (and some are very pricy) and some are over 5k each. So if a dealer wants to buy it back for lets say 10K+ for parts, they drop 8-10K for new airbags, spend about 10K or less to fix the car. Since the car was reported a loss, chances are the car was not fixed to correct standards and some guy will buy it not knowing it was in a crash and buys an unsafe car even worst than new.

Remember these cars are all wheel drive, so that means a car that is worth 30K on a 50 mph frontal impact, besides all the previous parts I listed, add a hood, fenders, front doors, damaged engine, firewall, airbags, suspension, possible transmission issues, cv shafts, maybe a damaged t-case….well this can add up to 40K+…

Now for the insurance part…

The 97 base Civic hatch $1200
2004 Sierra $490
1992 Ferrari 348 $890

The prices of the Civic and truck is based on accident ratio per year so…

Lets assume there are a million civics on the road and a million trucks on the road in Canada.
So if every year 600,000 Civic owners have one accident per year and
If every year 10,000 Truck owners have one accident per year…

Insurance companies see the truck owners to have fewer accidents so they don’t charge them as much because they see them as less of a risk to insure and Civic owners get screwed up the ass. I had my Civic for 7 years and had ZERO accidents but still had to pay more because everybody has them because they are cheap, easy to modify, people race them have accidents or cant drive because they just got their license and it’s a cheap first car….etc…

Now the Ferrari part, it’s based on value of the car, has to be older than 15 years old. The classic insurance companies see it like this, someone who drives an expensive car will not drive the shit out of it, go grocery shopping, drive to work, park it on the street all the time etc….these people take care of those cars and baby them…you think anyone in their right mind will park their Ferrari in the middle of a supermarket parking lot filled with soccer Mom’s who cant park their mini vans, anyways, you know what I mean…..

~

·
Registered
218 Posts
Magnum thank you for the thorough explanation.

About the first part, what can I say- Canada never fails to surprise me ;-)
Its a country you have to love.
But still, it is rather strange they decide what is best for you.

As for the second part,
Although you gave mathematical logic to the whole situation, it still defies logic. Depends how you look at it.

First, why are there so little accidents with ford trucks? The truck IMO is hard to drive.

Second, a Ferrari is a Ferrari. If a person wants to drive one, he should pay high taxes for it. Dont get me wrong, I would love to drive Ferrari and pay small amount of money for insurance, but I think it won't happen anywhere else in the world.

Third, how can I get canadian visa :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
From someone that can only afford old BMWs and Audis at this time, let me tell you that if I had the opportunity to purchase a new 360 or get an Evo for free, even if the Evo significantly outperformed the 360 in every category, I'd still buy the 360 without a second thought.

It's a Ferrari.

No matter how many turbos, wings, spoilers, and stickers they attach to an Evo, it's never going to be a Ferrari.

Congratulations on your purchase. I hope you truly enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Magnum thank you for the thorough explanation.

Although you gave mathematical logic to the whole situation, it still defies logic. Depends how you look at it.

Ever seen or heard of logical Government decisions….hahaha!!!!!
I didn’t make this shit up, about two years ago, I went to a Mitsubishi dealer and this is what the sales manager told me. So me being curious about everything I made several inquiries to the Ministry of Transportation and this is what they told me. They didn’t break it down like I did but told me safety radius, frontal crash at those speeds, cost to repair vs value of the vehicle and unsafe salvage re-titles.

First, why are there so little accidents with ford trucks? The truck IMO is hard to drive.

Well trucks are very expensive and the greater majority of people who own them are businesses and most of the time, if it’s the truck’s fault, it’s cheaper for the company to pay the repair of the accident than to report to insurance companies.

Second, a Ferrari is a Ferrari. If a person wants to drive one, he should pay high taxes for it. Dont get me wrong, I would love to drive Ferrari and pay small amount of money for insurance, but I think it won't happen anywhere else in the world.

Third, how can I get Canadian visa :)

In Canada we pay huge taxes on everything…on purchases we pay 15% sales tax and we pay 40 to 53% in income tax to the wonderful Government. And when you do your taxes they want another 4 to 6K more….so don’t get me started……

Anyways this topic has lost track (my fault…sorry)

Sergiogalfas360 enjoy your 360, it’s a wonderful machine than you and your father will enjoy for many years, make sure you drive it, take care of it and make Enzo pround…..

~

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well Sergiogalfas360, the answer is yes and no…

The Evo 9 is a fast car built for racing, rally and to compete against the WRX STI, and both are AWD.

Now to answer your question, here is a little information on what your friends know little to almost nothing about cars and racing or else they wouldn’t have said those comments. Every track is different or else, Ferrari’s F1 Team would win every race, hold every record and nobody would come close and say any different.

First off, the driver makes a big difference and sometimes can make a car do things most people wouldn’t even think that car could do on a track.

Second, every track is very different from one another. It’s the purpose of racing, to make things challenging, to see where experience, knowledge, performance and driving skills are. So you take two cars, an Evo 9 and a 360. On a specific track the Evo could smoke the 360 hands down every time (now when I say smoke I mean 2-3 seconds per lap). Then move to another track and the Evo cant ever read the license plate of the 360. This is why all tracks are different from one another, no two are the same.

Both cars have different power lines (bhp and torque) on their RPM curve. This is why depending on the track some cars do better than others and vice versa on different tracks.

If your friends were given a choice of two new cars in front of them, an Evo 9 and a 360…five minutes later, a block down the street behind the wheel of the 360, they wouldn’t even remember what color the Evo was…

So next time when your friends want to talk “cars and racing” tell them to learn their shit before talking shit.

P.S. Welcome to the forum…

~

Very well said Magnum! I'm in total agreement with you as my thoughts and opinions are the exact same! It's amazing how many people can talk a great deal of shit after reading magazine and crunching numbers just to make another person feel bad about their car, when in reality the reader has probably never spent a single second on any type of track. Just know this Sergio; It's' always easier said than done. Tell your friends to get on the track and see how they do. They probably dont even know how to pick a line! A rule of thumb to follow....The man makes the car, not the other way around!

I'm not really a long-time member or poster on this forum nor do I even own a Ferrari, however I have seen quite a bit of track time in my own car and when I feel that what I've just read is correct, I happily chime in with my response.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts