Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like Ferrari is going down two parallel development paths for the "F70". Engine could either be a V12 or twin turbo V8. New focus is on bhp per kilo not total horsepower. Body will be all carbonfiber.

Personally I would like to see them use the V10 from the recent F1s and set it up in a 3 posti car.

Comments ?

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
3 posti car? Not sure I'd like to see that, but you seem to be very excited with that idea hehehehe

I'd like to see a V12, 2 seats, no turbo, no nothing. Remember the F50? Yeah, something like that!

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Why not a V12 with twin turbo's? Bugatti used a 16 cylinder with quad turbo's. If they can reduce the weight and improve the BHP per kilo they won't need anything like the total BHP to steal Bugatti's speed record.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I think I'd agree with Archie. Let's give the new Ferrari the smoothness of a 12 cylinder with the pulling power of a twin turbo.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
archie, a V12 with twin turbos would probably mean too much power (if they got almost 700 hp with the Enzo, imagine more than 1000 hp if you turbocharge that monster)

Ferrari is not worried about top speed, that was very clear with the Enzo

a car with more power than what it can handle wouldn't be a nice choice, in my opinion, and I don't see Ferrari going back to turbo engines

I guess around 750 hp is fine, with a good chassis. Then they just have to keep the weigh down

Remember the 512 S? It didn't need more power, just a little less weigh, and that with the great chassis it had would be more than enough to beat that 917 Beetle "electric chair"

·
Registered
308 Posts
I believe the next "Enzo" type Ferrari will be a twin-turbo V-8 making approximately 900 horsepower. At least that's what I'm hearing....

No V-12 for emissions reasons, so they are concentrating on a V-8 with turbos to get the best of "both worlds". And as others have said, if they can keep the weight below 3,000 pounds, the car will be a world-beater!

Actually I'm surprised that Ferrari would shoot for a target of 900hp, I would have guessed maybe 750hp or maybe 800hp based on the FXX testing and data. But wow....900hp.....that is serious!

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am hearing bhp more in the 700-750 range. Goal is power, agility, and lightness. Preference for the 8 over the 12 is driven by both weight and engine size. My guess is that the F70 will be smaller than the Enzo and the horse will still be pushing the cart.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I am hearing bhp more in the 700-750 range. Goal is power, agility, and lightness. Preference for the 8 over the 12 is driven by both weight and engine size. My guess is that the F70 will be smaller than the Enzo and the horse will still be pushing the cart.
I totally agree ! With pollution controll mania's developing at a increased pace in industrialized countries the only way to go is same power with higher fuel efficiency and lower weight. Therefore I'm 100% sure that we will see a very, very strong rebirth of the turbo technology, which provides much higher efficieny with same power/weight ratios. (Sorry to say but in this respect Porsche is leading the way)

Additionaly the cost of building carbonfiber structures in the years to come will fall dramatically as this technology will be adapted to industrial mass uses.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Any ideas about the body styling yet? Caparo's T1 is pretty much a road going F1 car with lights and covered wheels, 3500 CC V8 550'ish BHP but light as a feather, better power to weight ratio than a Veyron.
It would be nice to see Ferrari make a real road going F1 car. If they can use the current V8 F1 engine and chassis, add a couple of turbo's to compensate for the power loss of increasing the weight for safety features required on public highways and a couple of passengers, it would get my vote.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
archie, if Ferrari does go down the T1 road, I hope they make the car at least a little more reliable and less explosive! hehehehehehe

212Export, you're right, Porsche has pretty much the best turbo technology in the world for Otto engines, that turbo in the 997 is just TOP CLASS stuff

I seriously hope that Ferrari doesn't go back to turbos, but it seems like I'm alone here hehehehehe

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Autocar

Autocar ran an article in August revealing Ferrari's ideas for an eco Enzo.
I'll see if I've still got it.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
It looks like Ferrari is going down two parallel development paths for the "F70". Engine could either be a V12 or twin turbo V8. New focus is on bhp per kilo not total horsepower. Body will be all carbonfiber.

Personally I would like to see them use the V10 from the recent F1s and set it up in a 3 posti car.

Comments ?
I am curious, what is the fascination with the 3 seat setup?

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I would have thought the V12 option, but the emissions issue is a valid point against. How about a V8 with Superchargers?

The thing is, if the other kids on the block (Lambo, Bugatti, Aston et al) are playing with 10s, 12s and even 16's than all things considered I reckon Ferrari would not go below 10. So...although the smart money would be on a V10 as originally mooted by Boxer. I am gonna say V12 (normally aspirated with seriously good emissions gear or running on liquid hydrogen ;) )

3 posti ala Mclaren F1? (sorry for swearing in a public forum :) )

·
Registered
82 Posts
in honnor of the modern f1's victoriously piloted by michael. caparo t1 style, this vehicle is just too "ferrari" to be ignored by Ferrari. as if Ferrari needs to answer to this vehicle with a "this is how its done". they need to refine that cabin the only way that ferrari knows how to. with a flat plane cranked v8 mated to an electric motor "tesla", yes a hybrid ferrari, sooner or later the eco friendly ferrari has to happen. why wouldnt it?

now should they really take this ridiculously EXTRAVAGANT and EXTREME leap into exotic vehicle manufacturing, of course, its just another day at the labs for them.. why wouldnt they?

how excited did you feel when you first learned about the caparo t1? that same exact feeling went through the factory for a FACT. theese are all vehicle loving hummans it is impossible that they do not want to produce a refined, USEABLE on a daily basis, and of course faster/more agile, vehicle than the t1. i mean its like grand prix for the public....... again, why wouldnt they?

Eddie Rosado

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't believe you will see anything like the Caparo being developed as the F70. Two reasons:

-it will need to be able to hold two very wealth customers in a decent level of comfort ( don't know of any Enzo owners who have traded in their cars for Atoms)

- it will need to meet safety standards in all major markets (US, Europe, Japan)

You might see something more "Caparo" like being developed as the next FXX.

·
Registered
82 Posts
that was exactly my point. ferrari will make a marketable caparo complying with all safety standards and confort levels expected from major markets. OF COURSE THEY WOULD. how can you compare a 4 cylinder acura rsx powered open tube frame car to the caparo t1?....... further more the t1 is amazing just in case i had not communicated that yet.

Eddie Rosado

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I don't see Ferrari going after Caparo. Ferrari is the benchmark, the Caparo was built to beat the Ferraris, and I don't see the other way around happening.

Why wouldn't they do something like that? Well, first because it's very far away from everything Ferrari has been doing for the road since... forever! Second because Ferrari made it very clear in the past that they don't care if other cars beat them now and then (like the McLaren F1, the Bugatti Veyron and now the Caparo T1), they just focus on what they do and keep doing it because they do it right.

If the Caparo was right, it wouldn't explode all the time.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I vote for a normally aspirated front engined V-12 monoposto spyder. When you take this beast out, it is all business. No passenger to amuse; just a chase car somewhere far behind; bugs in your teeth, wind in your hair!:cool:

1 - 20 of 81 Posts