Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am interested to see if anyone has heard of anyone doing an engine swap from another maker in a Dino, a 308 or 328.Would an engine exchange be feasible?

I have an oppertunity to purchase one of these three models that all have the engines removed.I will be getting a real good deal, friend of the family.

I know it will not be a real Ferrari w/o a real Ferrari engine, yet I can not afford the engine and I do love the body styles.I am also aware that I will reduce the value of the vehicle, yet the vehicles are not in great condition.

Any information would be appreciated [email protected]

·
Registered
749 Posts
Don't know of anything "off the shelf" that has been put together to fit, and I doubt you'll find that sort of package. You would need a unit that includes a gearbox/transaxle for a mid-engine car.

Would you do the work yourself? If not I would expect it's going to cost a bomb - not the engine itself but sorting out all the connections to the rest of the car (gear selection, driveshafts, clutch system, fuel & electrics, cooling, etc). If you have to pay someone to do all that you'd have to be better off finding a second hand engine / transaxle unit for sale. They DO come up from time to time, and you know they will drop stright in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your prompt response. One person suggested that I work with an aftermarket VW Type 1 engine and also a VW transmission, as speed is not a big concern of mine, and funds are limited. Any further thoughts or suggestions of who I might contact would be appreciated.

I also feel this will help many people in the future as parts get fewer and prices start to rise.
Thank you again

·
Registered
613 Posts
:ugh: please don't!

Buy the Ferrari and keep saving for a real engine... ...one from a wreck or something! The engine makes the Ferrari, styling comes second... ...so a Ferrari without an Ferrari engine (for me) is no real Ferrari! And I think it would be impossible to sell!

Please don't...

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
i agree, don't place another engine in it
it will cost a LOT of money aswell to get it in there and have everyting connected and to work properly and it just won't sound the same.

if i had your oppertunity i would buy one of the chassis, place it in my garage so that i could sit in front of her and do some reading and just look at her.
and slowly have the body restored, after a while if i have the money buy an engine, and maybe wait a while before having it installed till you have enough money again.
i wouldn't care if it took me 5 to 10 years. i would have a beauty standing in the garage, and that would make me pretty happy already
but heck, i'm just a big nut :green:

·
Registered
476 Posts
By the time you get finished paying to put something else in there you'd be better off buying a motor/trans from a wrecked car. They're not that expensive. Also the hit you'd take on resale if you had something else in there would add to the cost as well.

Don't do it! It just doesn't make financial sense.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Dj Dirk said:
if i had your oppertunity i would buy one of the chassis, place it in my garage so that i could sit in front of her and do some reading and just look at her.
and slowly have the body restored, after a while if i have the money buy an engine, and maybe wait a while before having it installed till you have enough money again.
i wouldn't care if it took me 5 to 10 years. i would have a beauty standing in the garage, and that would make me pretty happy already
but heck, i'm just a big nut :green:
And this is why I will always be interrested when I see a Ferrari in need... :wink: ...if I get the change, there will be no Cobra to be build, but a Ferrari!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I think the best is to buy all three cars and start to look for a used engine,
so that later on you can change the engine to each car you like to drive on that moment.308ROB

·
Registered
776 Posts
I would have to agree that changing the engine would turn out to be more costly than simply putting in a re-built/used proper Ferrari engine.

Not exactly the same, but it will demonstrate...

My 4 cylinder Mustang needs a new engine. I plan on putting a monster V8 in it. However...I recently found out that, while the bay is designed for a motor of that size, the front suspension is not. If it had the V8 to start with, then it would be fine, but since it does not, it all needs to be changed out. The cost of switching the front end and the new V8 more than triples the cost of the simple 4 cylinder swap.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Hey Rob, maybe you should go for a Ferrari V8 instead! I'm sure the front-end will be fine - just never try to turn or brake. Great for the drags however!!! :green:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you everyone, please keep the replies comming. Is there not anyone that can see how this might be feasible? If there are any experts out there that can advice me on how much you would estimate this would cost with a vw type one engine and transmission, I would appreciate this.
Much thanks to everyone

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I think personally when you have converted everything to VW golf enginesuspensions etc etc you will never sell it again because there is no market for it. I have no idea what a dino engine costs, but have you already informed about that?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Chefroy I think superformance uk have a dino 206 engine for sale for 2800pounds.They also have a F40 motor for 40000 pounds.As far as putting in another motor that is not ferrari DON'T DO IT Please!There was one for sale here in austalia I think it had a chevy V6 motor in it and I dont think he was able to sell it.I also heard of someone putting a 308 motor into a dino246.I never saw the car so don't know if it was just a fairy tale

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hello again;

I have heard of a Ferrari 308 that someone put in a Chevy v8 engine and someone told me of someone putting a v8 engine in a Testarosa.I hear these things yet the source never knows who was able to do that.

Can someone please supply me with contacts of experts who might be able to do this. Who have experience in engine swaping.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
[email protected]

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
chefroy said:
Hello,
I am interested to see if anyone has heard of anyone doing an engine swap from another maker in a Dino, a 308 or 328.Would an engine exchange be feasible?

I have an oppertunity to purchase one of these three models that all have the engines removed.I will be getting a real good deal, friend of the family.

I know it will not be a real Ferrari w/o a real Ferrari engine, yet I can not afford the engine and I do love the body styles.I am also aware that I will reduce the value of the vehicle, yet the vehicles are not in great condition.

Any information would be appreciated [email protected]
I think it's possible. It's the same engine block and the same engine/gearbox layout configuration.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
He means putting a total diffent engine in one of those cars, like a VW Golf engine in a 328. I think it costs lots of money and will only decrease the value of the car, like already pointed out in the thread

·
Registered
476 Posts
By the time you're done doing it you probably would have spent as much money as if you'd bought an engine out of a totaled Ferrari. Ferrari V8s are much smaller than American cast iron ones. I don't think it'd fit. Also the cooling requirements for those engines is a great deal more than for the Ferrari engines. You'd be upgrading the cooling too... and then there's the wiring... extra weight- new suspension to handle it... Buy the car(s) and start a 5-10 year restoration project. Do more of it as you get the cash. Save for the big stuff. The time will go by faster than you think and when you're done you'll know your car inside and out. Trust me, it'll be worth it in the end.

You should be able to get a good used Ferrari V8 (2 valve or 4 valve) for about $10,000. You'd be spending that to do the swap in the long run.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts