Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Take a look at this engine from a 308 GT4. Sadly it's not mine, it's from Keith Bluemel's "Original Ferrari V8".

My GT4 engine is reasonably clean, and I have even given it a bit of a scrub, but is no where near as clean as this one.

How does one go about getting an engine as clean as this, are there special chemicals I can use, or is it painted? I will not rest until my engine looks this good!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
ajengli said:
How does one go about getting an engine as clean as this
Easy - clean the engine, but never actually drive the car!!

·
Registered
749 Posts
ajengli said:
I will not rest until my engine looks this good!!
Sorry, AJ, but looks like not much rest for you anytime soon! :green:

I always suspected that this car (and others in similar books) is one of those v.low mileage ones that is almost never driven. I would love to be corrected on this, and maybe someone knows one of the owners (I think they are listed in the Acknowledgments). Maybe it is a 50k mileage car and there ARE miracle products out there, but I suspect not.

btw it IS a lovely example of my favourite funky car! 8)

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
This will get is cleaner but not that clean:

Get a powerwasher, rinse the hell out of it with just water. Go buy some "Simple Green" concentrated formula, spary it on the engine, use a soft rag to do some scrubbing. Rinse with the powerwasher.

Now buy some engine polish at the local auto store. Polish way. Park and watch it collect dust :D

·
Registered
749 Posts
carguy said:
It is very time consuming to properly detail an engine, but the results are worth it. Here is my TR motor with 36k miles on it so far.
Well I eat my words!! :oops: :oops:
What a truly beautiful job. When you retire from concourse I'm sure we would love to hear your secrets! :wink:

·
Registered
770 Posts
Absolutely - that does look fabulous - I've still got the feeling that the "secret" is an awful lot of time and effort, in relation to the amount of driving.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Thank You Everyone for your positive responses. Over the summer I performed a full service on the engine with new belts, tensioner bearings, hoses, etc. I just didn't know when to stop and before I knew it, I was stripping and repainting, getting new nuts and bolts, I just went crazy. Refinishing the black crinkle finish on the intake box was very tricky. The cam covers weren't too bad to do. Finding new fasteners took some work, but perhaps the hardest thing was refinishing the fuel distributors and lines.....very time consuming. It is a pity that most of the detail work cannot be seen with the engine in the car. I'll try and attach some pics so you can see what I mean. I am also in the process of developing a custom exhaust that should sound great and remove about 80 unwanted pounds from the car...and we all know a TR needs all the help it can get in this department. The heat shield over the muffler is still there, but mine has some dents in it that I couldn't remove, so I made a perforated stainless cover for it as you can see in the pics...it looks pretty good. I can't count the hours I have in it, but I sure can appreciate them when I take her for a drive.

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Looks really awesome
Just wondering how you did get your nickname :roll:
Please tell us you didn't get it from your ex-wife :wink:
Keep the good work going, you got the ferrari desease :eek:
You better be proud of it :)

·
Registered
308 Posts
EBRINK: Not sure what you mean by "nickname"....do you mean "carguy"? It just seems to fit. As for the exwife...she has many other names for me that I can't mention here.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yeah, I mean carguy :wink:
Don't worry we can handle words here on the forum like
honey,sweetie,niceguy, SO SPEAK UP :lol:
Already met Cargirl :wink:
Next project Carbaby ? :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Carguy,
Awesome! Great job.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Great job!!! It's a lot of work but it is very well worth it!!1 Keep up the excellent work!!!

Rudy Javier
80 308 gtsi
Stockton California
USA :work:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts