Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New member. Just got my first Ferrari this week--2004 360 Spider, 4400 miles. Love it. Problem is the yellow warning light, outline of an engine, just came on. Manual says "Engine check system failure warning light"..."indicates failure in the emission control system and ignition/injection system."

Of course I plan to bring it in next week but wondering if OK to drive this weekend. My buddy says its no big deal, drive it (but he just wants a ride).

Any thoughts on cause and seriousness of this warning light?
Thanks.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The cause could be a number of things, most of which will need you to take it to a mechanic to get sorted. Occassionally you can get a false warning, so you might try resetting the Motronic engine management system. The instructions on how to do so are in the owners manual. The other area worth a quick check is the fuse box, a blown fuse can also set it off.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Glad to hear everything seems to be working well. Congrats on owning a great car and welcome to FerrariLife.
Dear Boxer,
I too have been lucky to get a 360 today...but alsio unlucky to have the engine light on after 2 hours!!

Car has been serviced so probably needs resetting to get the lights out. I cant seem to find the instructions in resetting the monotronic ecu...

Can you help??:)

Many Thanks

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
You won't be able to reset the computer on the 360 without the proper equipment. You'll have to find a mechanic or dealer. It is also probably worth a stop just to be sure the check light isn't something new. Once they plug your car into the computer they can tell you what the problems are if any.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I realize its a very differant car but I did get the Slow Down indicator on my 348. Once within a few hours of owning the car and Once about 2 weeks later. Both ended up being associated with moisture in a temp sensor cuased by a water wash. She no lond ger gets the hose but a nice sponge bath with a good detail spray and microfiber rub down.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Figure it out yourself

If any of you guys are do-it-yourselfers, you can buy software that will tell you what the codes are, look at a bunch of computer parameters, and reset the light. AutoEnginuity is the best of the bunch, cost is $200 and works on any laptop computer. I have used it on Ferraris, BMWs, Chevys, Fords, and a few others. The reason it works is that all USA cars 1996 and newer by law have to have a standardized plug under the dash, and a reasonable number of standardized parameters. The dealer can read additional ones, but this program gives you lots of good info for solving your problems. BTW, one of the most common reasons to set a check engine light is a loose or bad gas cap. I'm sure I've saved way more than the cost of the program. Check out their web site if you are interested. -Steve

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Per Steve's comments, if you have a bit of mechanical skills, getting an OBD II reader or the software to run it off a laptop is a great idea. I have also run across the loose gas cap cause on other cars in the past (it is actually the first thing I check). Regarding the Motronic 5.2 system, to reboot it, you need to kill the battery (round battery kill knob is on the right hand side in the front luggage compartment), leave it off for a couple of minutes, then turn the battery back on, turn the ignition key to position #2 for a minute, then start the car up and let it idle on flat ground for several minutes. The instructions are in the back part of the owners manual. I believe it is in the section on storing the car.

To clarify, rebooting the system does not clear the fault codes. However if the fault is not present on the reboot then the error light will likely not come back on.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Per Steve's comments, if you have a bit of mechanical skills, getting an OBD II reader or the software to run it off a laptop is a great idea. I have also run across the loose gas cap cause on other cars in the past (it is actually the first thing I check). Regarding the Motronic 5.2 system, to reboot it, you need to kill the battery (round battery kill knob is on the right hand side in the front luggage compartment), leave it off for a couple of minutes, then turn the battery back on, turn the ignition key to position #2 for a minute, then start the car up and let it idle on flat ground for several minutes. The instructions are in the back part of the owners manual. I believe it is in the section on storing the car.

To clarify, rebooting the system does not clear the fault codes. However if the fault is not present on the reboot then the error light will likely not come back on.
The reboot instructions for the 360 are in the owners manual section 5.19.:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
HI guys,
Have now had the car checked by Ferrari and they have informed me that nothing is wrong with the car except the petrol cover was a little loose!!!
Now driving superbly...
Thanks so much for your support!

·
Registered
366 Posts
miss Cleo

Hey Mario,

I just heard that tomorrow's Clairvoyant Society meeting was postponed due to unforseen circumstances :) -Steve

·
Registered
1 Posts
This sequence worked like magic. I've had my '03 for 12 years and this is the first time the light has come on. Thanks for the post.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts