Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read with interest the tech tip for the winter from JRV on storing your Ferrari. One of the recommendations is the disconnection of the battery.

I spoke to Ferrari of SF on exactly this topic when I bought my 360 F1. Ferrari urged caution for owners with electronic "fly by wire" throttles such as the 360. The process of battery disconnection causes the loss of "memory" of the throttle position. (Consider the awfull possibility of not knowing what throttle you are applying as you start to pull out of the garage after winter storage)

When the battery is reconnected the car will need to have its correct throttle position reset by turning the ignition to the power on position (Engine not started), depressing the throttle to the floor and then releasing. This entire process needs to be repeated three times before the car can be safely started.

I've never tried this process as during the winter I start my car every week and run the engine for 10 minutes to charge the battery...

JRV/anyone ever heard of this process, or actually had to use it?

Dermot

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
There's a rotary knob on the top left of the firewall in the front boot that disconnect the battery. This switch is installed by Ferrari for the simple reason of disconnecting the battery when the car is in long storage. I've used this many times with my Modena and I've no problem mith the car. True it will sort of "caugh" at the initial starting but press the trottle and it will rev back to normal. I've driven the car immediately after and there's never been any problem.

Yes all the memories like the radio settings and so on have to be reset but I've never heard this thing about having to reset the fly-by-wire trottle. And there's nothing mentioned in the owners manual either. So your mechanic is overly cautious.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Guys, dont know if this would be any use to you. I used to turn off the battery via the boot as outlined above, but about 6 months ago I bought a Mobitronic battery conditioner. It was about £50 sterling and it just connects into the cigarette lighter. It monitors the battery and puts a charge in if you need it. I have seen many ferrari's in air chambers that have sat for 6 or more months on this method and they start ok. Granted mine has only sat for 6 weeks like that but it starts first time. Just need to get my cat sensor sorted.

Steve :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disconnecting Battery

I've read somewhere that if you disconnect the battery on the 360 F1 then it is recommened you take it into the shop to get the F1 system "re-calibrated". This is apparently a process of hooking the car's computer up to a machine which does the calibration electronically?

Is there any truth to this? I do not yet own a 360 but aspire to in the future, I'm trying to do all my research now so I don't do something stupid later :).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Re: Disconnecting Battery

td80 said:
I've read somewhere that if you disconnect the battery on the 360 F1 then it is recommened you take it into the shop to get the F1 system "re-calibrated". This is apparently a process of hooking the car's computer up to a machine which does the calibration electronically?

Is there any truth to this? I do not yet own a 360 but aspire to in the future, I'm trying to do all my research now so I don't do something stupid later :).

Thanks!
You'll hear this from non-Ferrari owners who have no intention of buying a Ferrari or giving their excuse for not buying a Ferrari. I have had my 360 F1 since March 2000 and I have "switched off" the car battery everytime I'm away for more than 2 weeks. And the car started and run perfect after that.

So don't listen to the all those ridiculous tales!!!

And welcome td80.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks!

Thanks for the replies guys! It sounded a little bunk to me when I came across it. Up until recently I had a viper gts (loved the car btw), and it is in the stone-age as far as technology compared to the 360. I was able to do any work on the car by myself (and I'm no technical wizard). Now I am in save-up mode for a 360, I've often heard the passionate reveries of ferrari owners and I decided that there is only one way to find out what they are talking about :work:

So I'll skulk around here and try and pick up as much knowledge as possible, it's good to find a group so willing to share.

Thanks again and best regards,

-Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts