Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm driving a '84 308GTSI(US version) and my problem is that the engine is running hot by stop and go traffic the temperature will rise till 240(airco off).
i've changed the thermostat en rebuild the waterpump also clean up the radiator en water pipes,the both fans are working fine but i've made a test bij overruling the thermoswitch so that the fans are running constantly
but there is no difference in temperature only when i'm driving on the freeway (80MPH) the temperature will lower at appr.200 which is normal
i think.
sometimes ther is so much pressure that coolant is coming out of the overflow tank i've also noticed that when the engine is warming up that the watermeter (when reaching 195) the needle is falling back at 170 but only once en for a short time.
does anyone know what is the problem
(excuse me for some wrong words but my Dutch is better then my English)

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thank you for your tips en welcome Rob,
are you sure (stradale)that the fans has 2 speed I thougt this is only on the 360.
i go try first to replace the cap because this is the most inexpensive thing

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
both head gaskets are replaced 1 month ago because one was bad so i think this cannot be the problem but maybe you right about the obstruction, but i already have clean up the system,what is the best way to do this i have used Valvoline Radiator Cleaner?
I think your right about the dropping of the temperature that this is caused by the thermostat.
Is it possible that de radiator itselves could be the problem?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
problem solved

thanks all off you for your replys. i've tried all the tips you send.
but there is one thing i did'n tried and that was measering
the temperature with a external thermometre in the overflowtank.
So i did that and compared with the watermetre next to the external metre and geuss what, there was a difference so to make sure i,ve buyed a new sender and tryd this again on a stoof at home. So i boiled some watre (195F)and with a external temperature metre(Fluke83 with TK80) next to the original metre there was still a difference.
I know now for sure that the metre was not correct and that the car does not run to hot the coolant which come out of the overflow whas because there was to much coolant in the system.
The solution for the metre is i put a resistor 68 OHM in serie with the thermoresistor (gray wire) on the back of the metre.
SO MY TIP, DON'T (always)TRUST YOUR METRES

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.