Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Got the thing going, she doesn't like to start when it is below freezing outside. Pulled it out of the garage, made a few test runs in the driveway to make sure I could get back up it if I left. That went ok as long as I kept my foot off the gas. If I gave it gas the car was sideways in the yard. You can see from the photos my yard is all ice. Guess what? The tachometer works! That thing hasn't worked in 3 years but it started working today. The car trying to tell me something? Just to prove I actually took it out a got some photos of the car not in the yard. One's at the store and 2 are on the road. In pic "Winter 4" you can see my house.

And I didn't even wash it off before I put it back in the garage! (actually, I can't wash it off, my outside faucets are frozen.)

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
Re: Drove the Ferrari in winter, jungathart, this is for you

Pete,

What oil are you using? i've done a lot of winter driving and suggest 0W-30. Also, make sure you block off the driver side intake so the oil cooler intake is blocked as the Maine cold air is enough on its own :)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Drove the Ferrari in winter, jungathart, this is for you

enjoythemusic said:
Pete,

What oil are you using? i've done a lot of winter driving and suggest 0W-30. Also, make sure you block off the driver side intake so the oil cooler intake is blocked as the Maine cold air is enough on its own :)
It's got Castrol 20w/50 in it right now. I know thats too much but I don't plan on draining out $30 worth of oil for the odd time I'll drive the car before spring. Like I said, I only put about 1,000 miles a year on it, but plan on putting 2,500 during 2006. So I only change the oil once a year. Do you think I ought to look at a 10w/40 instead of the 20w/50 for year round driving?

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Pete,
Thank you. I thank you, YOUR Ferrari thanks you!

Now, it wasn't so bad to get her out on the roads, was it? Wow, all that ice in your driveway that you described looks much more daunting in picture. We're not at that point in our winter yet (of course it's not easy to compare Erie with Maine :) ).

I use Mobil-1 synthetic 15w50 and have no trouble at all. My tranny fluid is GM's Synchromesh; and I kid you not, even in single digit temp she'll go right into 2nd gear from 1st, cold.

Let's continue to encourage each other to drive and post pics after each jaunt. Perhaps we can ALL participate in this idea: afterall, this is FerrariLife. 8)

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jungathart said:
Wow, all that ice in your driveway that you described looks much more daunting in picture. We're not at that point in our winter yet (of course it's not easy to compare Erie with Maine :) ).
Yeah, you get all that lake effect snow. I've got the moderating effect of the ocean. So where you'll get 2 feet of snow, I'll get 2" of ice. Anti-lock brakes are one of the best things that ever happened in the State of Maine.

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
I think I am liking the idea of getting out whenever the main roads are dry. Winter here (my 3rd since moving from TX) seems less inhospitable for once. :D

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Driving all year is part of my maintenance schedule ;-)

I try to drive at least once a month, even in winter. Sunday before last I drove it, monday we had 25cm of fresh snow again.

The important part is to drive at least 30 minutes at normal load (not idling), better is an hour, so that all of the racids are burnt out of the engine oil (again).

Driving the car in winter is much better for the car than leaving it sit in the garage. The main concern is that one keeps in mind how much worse the grip of the tires is at low temperatures, and that it takes a bit longer until everything is warm enough for full throttle application.

I'll try to take a pix next time.

PS: I like the color combination of youngatheart's TR!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Marc said:
Driving all year is part of my maintenance schedule ;-)

I try to drive at least once a month, even in winter. Sunday before last I drove it, monday we had 25cm of fresh snow again.

The important part is to drive at least 30 minutes at normal load (not idling), better is an hour, so that all of the racids are burnt out of the engine oil (again).

Driving the car in winter is much better for the car than leaving it sit in the garage. The main concern is that one keeps in mind how much worse the grip of the tires is at low temperatures, and that it takes a bit longer until everything is warm enough for full throttle application.

I'll try to take a pix next time.

PS: I like the color combination of youngatheart's TR!
Thanks! 8)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts