Ferrari Life Forum banner

Drove a Ferrari!!!!!!!

4K views 34 replies 8 participants last post by  Tifoso_Boy 
#1 ·
Saturday night in the rain, I drove a blue 360 Modena F1!!!!!!! :green: Ya'll see, I am a valet a fine restaurant in the houston area. I have driven many exotics. I go to school in the morning, and work at night. When the thread about what everyone did for a living came up. I thought about posting on it. This job is helping me pay for school, and it gives a great opportunity to drive some special cars. Since valets have a bad rep for some reason, I decided to counter it with cars that I have driven and love.

#2 ·
Congratulations !

Did you manage to get away with the F1 gearbox ? Did the owner explain to you how it works or did you left it in "automatic" mode ?

And just one tip, even with ASR, these cars are very slippery on wet roads so do not accelerate too much.

Didier.

#4 ·
Good question Dirk !

What's the deal with this valet thing ? Why not park your car where you want and go on foot to the restaurant ? Is it because there are no public parkings ? Are public parkings to avoid ? Do americans hate to go on foot (hehe..sorry for the question) ?

Here in Europe a lot of restaurants have their own private parking where you can park you car for free.

Didier.

PS : I'll agree with Dirk : I let nobody drive my Ferrari... :ex:

#5 ·
True all the bigger (read: more expensive) restaurants usually have their own parkinglot, unless they are in the middle of the city like Antwerp.
I live about 150 meters from a veru good restaurant and they have their own parking lot, and i can see practically every weekend sport/luxury cars parked there like Ferrari, Porsche Aston Martin, Bentley and all that stuff, but NO valet.
Actually they did try that last year for a while, but apperantly it didn't work out so good, don't know why

#6 ·
SpaceBoy said:
Congratulations !

Did you manage to get away with the F1 gearbox ? Did the owner explain to you how it works or did you left it in "automatic" mode ?

And just one tip, even with ASR, these cars are very slippery on wet roads so do not accelerate too much.

Didier.
Thanks Didier, but it wasn't my first F1 tranny and so I knew what to expect. It kind of 'sputtered' off the line, but I was going slow.Since it was raining, I wasn't about to damage my dream car :eek: The guy was really cool, and he didn't even have to ask me if I knew how to drive it. I complimented him on his beautiful car, and he was very gracious.

#7 ·
Dj Dirk said:
NICE MAN!!!
But that mean that you get to drive it like 20 meters or something right??
still it's fun.

I don't really get that valet parking, over here we don't have that, and i don't think that i would want other people drive/park my Ferrari
Dirk,

I don't get to 'test drive' them too long, about 3-4 min max. I don't ever take them off the property, whether it's a hyundai or Ferrari. I respect those individuals who are nice enough to let us drive their cars, so I don't abuse my privelage. If someone doesn't want to valet, then they have the option to self park across the street. I've had a couple of Ferraris that wanted to self park, but usually they are nice about asking for a spot. Usually they will take care of us for it as well. I find if I talk to them about their car,and show that I know all about it. THen they are more willing to hand over the keys.

#8 ·
SpaceBoy said:
Good question Dirk !

What's the deal with this valet thing ? Why not park your car where you want and go on foot to the restaurant ? Is it because there are no public parkings ? Are public parkings to avoid ? Do americans hate to go on foot (hehe..sorry for the question) ?

Here in Europe a lot of restaurants have their own private parking where you can park you car for free.

Didier.

PS : I'll agree with Dirk : I let nobody drive my Ferrari... :ex:
Here in the states, most people expect valet parking at the 'high' class places. The front spots are usually reserved for valet, so if you want a front spot....be nice to the valet. AMericans don't hate walking, its just that they like the convience of valet parking. We have our own lot as well, but we don't allow self parking there.No offense didier, but you rather have your Ferrari up front, where it can be admired and watched. OR would you want it on some lot just because you could park for free?

#9 ·
I've driven a Alfa SeleSpeed, Merc ML tiptronic.
They where all a bit different, like with the porsche and merc, you notice it that it's an automatic tranny, leave the brake and the car start to role, but with the Alfa, put it in first, let go of the brake and it stood still i had to give gas before the car moved.
How is this with the F1 gearbox??
And Didier on what do you have to watch when driving the F1 gearbox?

#10 ·
On the Ferrari f1 system....you put your foot on the brake, release the hand brake, always make sure that the 'N' appears on the dash (if not, pull both paddles towards you). flip the right paddle to '1' and off you go...nice and slow :wink: That is the safest way I have done with the F1's I've driven.....Maybe Didier has a different way.

#14 ·
Not only that dirk, but the whole experience :green: . Everytime I get in one, I get all 'giddy' like a child,,,hehe :p . Just sitting there looking through the rear window into the engine bay is worth the price :wink: Starting her up, working her gears...it is unbelievable!!!!!

#15 ·
The big reason is has been said, it is more classy to have your car parked for you and you can get out at the door. Also, they park the expensive cars upfront where it makes the restaurant look good. They also valet park because they can squeeze more cars in the lot when being parket by the guys that know what they're doing and you don't get any of those soccer moms that park sideways, over the line, etc.

Whenever I let my dad take the 308 to go out to eat with his girlfriend I give him strict orders for no valet parking. I wouldn't want someone else parking my car, not because it is worth so much, but because I have put so much of my own time and money into it. I barely let him drive it, and that's only on occasion. When I switch to the Electromotive system I could switch the rev limiter down to like 5000rpms when I let him take it. In my dad's defense he's a very very good driver. He's real good at braking and taking turns although I think I'm starting to get better than him, but in drag racing (i.e. getting the max power to the ground when accelerating) he's ridiculously good. Not much of an issue with the 308, but with Corvettes, etc.

#16 ·
A couple of things:

Years ago, I was a valet for a very nice place in Newport Beach. I did get to drive many fine cars. One would always be careful because you wanted a nice tip.

Recently at the Ritz Carlton in South Orange County, a valet took a 360. He did not know much since he popped the clutch and drove it into a concrete wall. The owner was watching it happen. Sad. The hotel did fixed the car but so what.

Whenever I take my beast somewhere, which has valet parking, I asked where do I park my car. They always have me park it in the “front line”. I still have to pay to cost of valet parking but no one drives my beast.

:green:

#20 ·
Manipulating the F1 gearboy is like it has been said. You must be in "neutral" to take off. In the user manual, there is a kind of "sport" mode using the breaks and gaz above 4000rpm but I didn't tried it out. It should give you some really quick start.

An annoying factor with this gearbox is that if you stop in "1" and the clutch is heating, the car put itself in "N" while giving you 1 long beep. If you are stuck in traffic, even after 10sec. the clutch is in "N" and you have to pull the right paddle to start. This has been done to protect the clutch. Understandable but annoying because with the radio on, you do not hear the beep...

But the F1 system is really confortable..I have no pain anymore in my left leg when changing gears. :p

Didier.

#21 ·
I know what you mean, i'm stuck in traffic a LOT :(
and from time to time it bugs me switching the gears.
I've driven an automatic a couple of times, and i didn't enjoy it, it feels like you are missing out on something.
ONLY reason if i ever get an automatic then it HAS to have a tiptronic or something of that kind.
I've driven a few cars with it, and i enjoy myself with it and it's pretty relaxing. Especially with the Selespeed on the Alfa

#25 ·
Dj Dirk said:
LOL
what did you say to get in, if i can't drive along you can't park in front?
Dirk,

Well, I told him that I hadn't seen an 575MM in person. So, I offered him a spot up front. But.....I asked him if I could ride along,,,he said sure...let his wife out....and I got in!!!!! I'm hoping next time he'll let me drive it. :wink:

#26 ·
Enzo250GTO said:
Ummm, did you slip them the name of this website or tell them you are a F nut? Next time slip of piece of paper under the visor :D :D
Andrew,

We talk a bit about Ferrari..... I told him I had parked a 360 F1 the previous Saturday, we also touched on the Enzo.....it was cool...I'll have to mention the website next time 8)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.