Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just returned from a journey to Melbourne. I saw some very quick cars and some slow roads.

In the last couple of days, I have put on only about 250 miles on my sweet thing (about 6 hours in the seat). Where else on Earth are there the roads of Southern California? What is the finest freeway flyer?

Golly, I get to drive the fastest roads in the finest car. Oh, it is so much fun. The little Lexus, Infinite, BMW, MB, Subaru, & other slow things are fun. My wife does not allow me to talk to them if she is in the beast. Many times are the freeways slow. It takes someone to go quickly.

My car likes the big boys: the Porsche, the Corvette, and other exotics.

So many of the German drivers think a Porsche is fast. Yea, right. Now that it is water-cooled, it might become something. It only races against itself. It cannot beat anything but itself.

The Corvette is another story indeed. If one misses a shift, it is Sayonara. One must be very careful of the Corvette. It can bite back.

The Saleen, Lamborghini, and Aston Martin DB9 can give one a wake up call. I have never driven against a Saleen nor a DB7 or 9. The big Lambo makes the juices flow.

The 360 and less know not to play with me. The 430 may just attack me. Rats. Nevertheless, I still have the smoothest of a V-12.

What say you?

8)

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
come and play on the german & french freeways, those are some of the best around, pnly problem on the french ones you can only do 130km/h legally

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The French & German have no idea what a freeway is all about. Anything from the I-15 to Las Vegas to the I-5 into LA in the morning.

Crap, you European have no cars to match these things, which are on the Southern California Freeways. Some Porsches & BWM but what we have are the drivers of the Southern California Freeways. I know of no European driver who drives 100 to 200 miles a day. That in peace loving European thinking is 300 kilometers per day. Not just a day but every day.

Bonzi!

12 cylinders only

·
Registered
40 Posts
Bart said:
The French & German have no idea what a freeway is all about. Anything from the I-15 to Las Vegas to the I-5 into LA in the morning.

Crap, you European have no cars to match these things, which are on the Southern California Freeways. Some Porsches & BWM but what we have are the drivers of the Southern California Freeways. I know of no European driver who drives 100 to 200 miles a day. That in peace loving European thinking is 300 kilometers per day. Not just a day but every day.

Bonzi!

12 cylinders only
Also, sorry to day that but i drove in the states, in europe (a lot) and in Egypt, and in the states, though people are very relaxed after the wheel, few of them if any give me the feeling they really manage the car...

·
Registered
102 Posts
The only road that has a speed limit higher than 110-120km/h in Australia is in the Northern Territory.

It's such a shame... The most used and longest road in the country - The Pacific Highway has a max speed of 100km/h and in many places it is pure pothole territory and single lane! (funnily enough, this is where most accidents happen) In other places it is three lane, concreted and perfect road (up near Queensland) and a pleasure to drive on.

I have seen some people in their GTT Skylines racing on the M2 (the toll road which goes from northern sydney to the City - or, at least Lane Cove)... They were going 200+km/h and had no problems with the boys in blue. That would be a good road to go fast on. Too bad it's only two lanes.

I dont think we will get the speed limit raised in my lifetime, or ever.

That said, i am still on a restricted provisional license and im not allowed to go over 90km/h anyway.. I tend to stick to the speed limit.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
With 20 million people on a vast land I always got the impression the between the two coast it was pretty much void of people. Can you not venture a little outside the city and hit 180 mph and not even have to worry about a police officer?

·
Registered
102 Posts
By venturing away from people, you also venture away from sealed roads. I know of a road in the Northern Territory (15+ hours from here) that is straight for something like 100km. There isnt much else in the Northern Territory :)

Most of the places close to the city have speed cameras on them. Even roads where nobody usually goes have speed cameras

I'd like to find a place with a good quality surface and no speed limit to be able to drive at these high speeds, but it simply doesnt exist!

One can wish...

In the mean time :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even I, an old fart, has taken my sled to 250 kilometers per hour (150 mph). Come on you Azzie, get with it.

This is, of course, some humor but I did take my slow thing to 150 mph on the public highway call Thunder Road (I-15). I have been to your country and know of the cameras. My sister-in-law slow to 50 kilo per hour on the road to Geelong. What a bore but I understand the Auzziez road abilities. Ha-ha

:lol:

·
Registered
144 Posts
In EUROPA there are too some nonspeedlimits autobahns...... In Germany is startin one of them......but it is not for free.....

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
actually german freeways ARE free
i was just there last saterday, cruising relaxed at 200km/h and then to get blown away by a beemer 5series & audi rs6 doing 250km/h :green:

the french & spanish autoroutes are peage

and besides germany, only italy has some places where you can do 150km/h instead of 120

·
Registered
144 Posts
Only because of this I love Germany & Italy. I weren't been there but my friend does, they speededwith 220km/h and where bumped by a F360 wich has something about 250+. They are till now impressed by this. And the Autobahn is large enouth to drive safely and fast..... I love such a roads....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Come on guys, with some good sense you can drive really fast anywhere.

Germany is almost too sh..tty for that (and i'm somehow german...), as there's way too much traffic.

France is great, so is Italy, and even some parts in Switzerland....i mean, there where you don't have a camera every 2 miles or so.

I used to routinely drive *really fast* on some places where it's not really allowed, but then again, use your brain !
In france/Italy, almost nodoby has a real fast car, so nail it when the road goes upward, not down, etc. In france, don't EVER drive faster than 140 kmh between the last exit and a toll station, as they'll be sure to get you, etc....i never get caught so far, knock on wood :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
With really fast i meant bart drove like a sissy :D mind you !

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gee, I know Germany and France have freeways, which goes straight for 50 to 75 miles (A long way in kilometers).

In California, we have one, which goes from the bottom of the Grapevine to the fork of San Francisco and Sacramento with only a few gas stations off ramps. Tie down the steering wheel and put a brick on the gas pedal.

Another one is Thunder Road to Las Vegas from Southern California. In the middle of the desert, there are not many turns or off ramps. Those off ramps are to nowhere. After the Baker Grade, one can see for fourteen miles without a turn. It is down for 8 miles and up for 6. It is Bonzi most of the way. If one does not hit 150 mph than something is wrong. Ahhhh, cruising at 150 mph. Now that is nice. Also, our CHP (cops) normally only bust the stupid or dangerous drivers. Knock on wood.

Go Michael, he is the best of the best.

8)

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
gougoul said:
In france, don't EVER drive faster than 140 kmh between the last exit and a toll station, as they'll be sure to get you, etc....i never get caught so far, knock on wood :D
I know what you mean, i've already seen that a few times, the cops are just waiting for you at the toll station and they just put their car infront of your lane so that you are blocked in the tollhouse

·
Registered
56 Posts
So Bart got a 550 (?) to go 250km/h straight ahead? Why not faster if you do not have to turn?

To state that southern Californian roads are that great to drive on with sports cars is of course just your opinion but everyone has different preferences you know. And it's pretty obvious that you haven't been around that much. Then very few people would say that the best about driving any Ferrari is to be able to "tie down the steering wheel and put a brick on the gas pedal".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts