Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may be lucky because I live in Southern California. If it rains a 1/2 inch we all start building arks. Anyway, my question it this: I read where many Ferraris sit in the gargage for the winter. Do you mean you do NOT drive the car for six months? How can one stand having it just sit there? Me, I need my fix at the very least once a week. Now that I have one, I do not beleive I could just look at it over the winter.

I do know that the salt is not good for it. What do you do?

:question:

·
Registered
824 Posts
I do not own a Ferrari, but here it is quit common to drive it only when there is nice weather outside. I believe you can even pay taxes for half a year instead of the full year if you drive it less than 120 days a year or something like 5000km a year. And yes, most cars do not drive that much kms a year!!!!

Most owners do have a nice replacement with a Porsche, big BMW, big Mercedes, big Saab or even a Aston Martin! The new minister of Economic Affairs here in the Netherlands even drives a Bentley to his work and is reported to have a 550 Barchetta as well!

Niels

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Same here
most Ferrari's only drive during the "summer" period, or when it's good wheater.
One of my uncle's has a Jag XK150, and he stalls the car during the winter, cuz he doesn't drive the car then, and he isn't allowed either according to his insurrance

·
Registered
533 Posts
Bart,

Just think of that corrosive salt eating it's way through your beautiful 550's underside, and you wouldn't want to drive it in snowbound areas...... :eek: But in so.california....the 'threat' of that is minimal...

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Salt is not allowed on roads in California. This is the way it has been for over 40 years or longer. No salt on roads in California. Our farmers do not like salt at all. Pea gravel (small) is put on the road for traction. We have some very nasty roads in the Sierra Nevade Mountains. The roads have ice, snow, and slush. Some are shut for the winter. My 550 hopefully will do well in the winter. I have a cabin at about 7,000 feet. Over a kilometer for the rest of the world.

A car is to be drive, not in a cage. My beast loves to be alive.

8)

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I hear you Bart
I beauty like that's needs to be driven.

But i would already be happy if i had a Ferrari to look at :work:

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Well Bart,
You are lucky in that you can drive your Ferrari year round. We got somethin' called snow. It is actually about 4 month's that I can't drive the car, the snow starts around the end of December and lasts until about the end of March. My Ferrari is just a toy, all my other vehicles are 4wd. I used to have a Mustang GT as a daily driver and that thing would get stuck in a parking lot with 3" of snow on the ground. I wouldn't even dare take the Ferrari out, even if I could get it going it won't stop. The '79 308 doesn't have anti-lock brakes. Plus, I want to keep the car nice and don't want all that slush on and in the car.
So nope! When the snow starts flying, the car goes in the garage, under cover, and the snowmachines come out!

·
Registered
575 Posts
I don't plan to, but I have driven my GT4 in rain and once before in snow (last winter). It wasn't bad at all. In fact, my skis fit perfectly in the cabin (good thing to have those +2 seats, that makes the cabin longer) and I plan to go to the local ski hills with my car this winter. I drove down to Seattle this past Sunday to attend an Italian Car show and it rained horribly on the drive down, the windshield wipers could bare keep up on the fastest speed setting.

I wouldn't drive this thing all the time though in bad weather. Only if I have to, or I'm unexpectedly caught in it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Peter,

Did you just start to scream when it started to rain that hard? I'm a big wimp when it comes to moisture hitting my car. I actually turned around two days ago when it started to sprinkle... :green: I figure a car that's 25 years old doesn't need any more rust agonists.

Forza,

Dane

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
When my car was running I used to drive it in the rain quite often. Never the snow though, I don't think it would make it too far with the old Bridgestones that were on it, the Pirellis aren't much better. The rain is good to drive in because you can find some random places and do some easy donuts, etc without wearing the tires and without straining the drivetrain. It's a pain in the ass though because if you open the window just a crack rain will come pouring in off the roof since the roof is a lot narrower than the width of the car by the doorsills. Since I wash it pretty much every second or third day it wasn't really an issue of keeping it clean. Here in NJ there are enough days to drive during the year (winter included) without having to go out in the rain or salty roads, so I think in the future I will drive only in inclement conditions when I want to go do donuts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts