Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 308 is too low for my hydraulic jack. I have to use the Ferrari jack, lift the car a little ways, then use the hydraulic jack to lift it far enough to slide the jack stand under the frame. Then I use the hydraulic jack to lift the other side and put a jack stand in place. I wish I could just lift the entire front or rear with a jack.

Does everyone here do the same thing with two jacks? Is there a jack out there that's low enough to slide in under a frame rail?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
If you find a jack that is low enough let me know!

I am able to pick up the corner of the Ferrari with one hand just enough to roll the jack under the mount for the rear anti-sway bar. After I have the rear up on 2 stands, I jack the side up until I have enough room under the front lower control arm to fit the jack, then block it and roll the jack around to under the control arm (I have to insert the jack from behind the front tire because the front spoiler is almost touching the ground at this point). The frame and suspension are stiff enough so that the whole front end comes up when you jack up one side. (the anti-sway bar mounts pivot on the stands so you need wide-based, beefy jack stands not the cheap, WalMart specials) Then 2 more stands for the front (the cheap, WalMart specials).

I have already told my wife that our next house will have a garage with a lift! I told her my garage requirements (6-car, 10' door, lift, workshop area, insulated, heated, etc.) I told her she can design the house part, my house requirements are some sort of a shower and a working toilet. Other than that I am pretty much open.

·
Registered
36 Posts
suggestion

I would suggest that if you only need a few inches that you place a 2x4 (2 by 4s) in front of your wheels and drive onto them for that extra 2 inches of clearance. Also there are many racing aluminum jacks that offer use on low clearance cars. They are not cheap however. If you would like to go the super light racing jack route let me know. But like I said if 2 inches would be enough just use 2x4 and save your money for maintenance :wink:

Mark

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
That's a pretty good idea! I think I have some 2"x8" that would be a little easier on the tires. Cut four 12" long pieces, put one in front of each tire, drive up on them and then the jack will fit anywhere I want.
Great tip!

·
Registered
36 Posts
No problem, I have even been tinkering with the idea of making wedges/ramps out of wood for even more heght if need be. I don't have a Ferrari but an RX-7 with a low front lip (espicially with the coil overs adjusted to -2"). As you point out 2x8 probably is even better for wide tires.

Mark

·
Registered
132 Posts
they also make ramps for cars. metal or plastic. i used to sell autoparts and we sold ramps that were rated to 3 tons. i have a set of metal ones that i roll the rear of the car onto to drain the fluids. and i have a set of extentions that extend the slope of the ramps so a low car can drive onto them. i do this for the front. i have been using these for a couple years with my RX-7 and just last week for the first time on my 79' 308. im not sure if the ferrari is lower than stock though. it has a set of 17" speedline wheels and 225-45 and 255-45 rubber. it appears to be stock height just with fuller wheelwells.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
It is a pain in the Butt working on cars that are 4" off the ground.
When I want to change the oil in my Jeep I just slide a 5-gal pail under the engine and pull the drain plug! Now that is an easy car to work on!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just picked up one of the 3.5" clearance aluminum racing jacks at Costco for $279. Fits under my car with the pad on and lifts to tire changing height in 4 pumps. Very nice...

·
Registered
35 Posts
short jack

I found a aluminum racing jack with 3.5 height at Harbor freight for 199. Works great RC

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jack for 308

I just got an Eagle lift. its the easy way to work on the 308. Also my sears 2 1/2 ton floor jack fits under all of the points I need to get to. What are the tire sizes you are running that don't allow you to get a jack under the car. Most jacks are 3 1/2 " min height with the saddle. So I don't see the problem.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have a standard Sears Craftsman 2 Ton floor jack and it fits under my car fine, got the jack and 2 stands for $179 or something like that. My car has 17" wheels with 45 series rubber on it though, maybe I sit a little higher than most??? My 2 cents...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mondial too low

:question: :-? :oops: :roll: Once I jack up the front side of my Mondial,a little way back from the front wheel where the square jack plat is located where do I place the jack stand,,,Thankyou Mickk :green: :green:

·
Registered
139 Posts
call me stupid

:oops: Hi ,I know where the 4 jack ing points are on the Mondial ,,But I do not understand where and how the stands get in place,Could some one help me,,Im getting my wheels powder coated and the guy will do the wheels ,2 at a time Thankyou Mick :eek:ha:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts