Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am seriously considering buying a 1999 Ferrari F355 GTB. Here is the VIN number of the car:

ZFFXR41A0X0114689

Does anyone know this car specifically? The car is for sale at Bergstrom Porsche in Appleton Wisconsin. I went up there and looked the car over very carefully. Everything almost seemed legitimate. The car is in good shape, it drove very nice, wasn't leaking anything on the pavement where it was parked, and it had ALMOST complete maintenance records. There are a few things that scare me about this car however. I do know that this car was originally sold in February 1999 from Lake Forest Sportscars to an owner in Michigan. This is the part that scares me about this car: From 1999 to 2003 the car was never titled and no maintenance records from that time period exist. The first time the car was ever titled was in 2003 to a new owner in California and the car then had 5,200 miles on it. My concern is that the car may have been raced or tracked extensively during that first 5,200 miles. The other concern that I have is that the owner in California seems to have had a 30,000 mile service performed on the car in May of 2004, but the exact mileage that the service was performed was not documented on the receipt. The last owner, an eye doctor in Appleton Wisconsin, had another 30,0000 mile service performed on the car within the last year. Like I said, it seems like a nice car, but appearances can be deceiving. It has all the owner's manuals, books, and tools included with the car, but there are some holes in the maintenance records that I don't like. If anyone could help me out here with some insight on this car specifically, or just some insight on purchasing a Ferrari of this nature and situation beyond the F355 buyer's guide, I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get it Inspected

Hi,

When I bought my F355 I had the same issue with gaps in the history of the car. I got a ferrari mechanic to go over the whole car and tell me if there were any major issues. The issues are mainly with the engine and if the body or interior is not in good condition then this is not a big worry as the engine. You can spend a lot of money on the engine if it has not been serviced properly etc. As it turns out the engine was very good but there were some parts missing in the interior and a few other places. So I replaced those parts and now I have a very lovely reliable F355 with no issues. I plan on keeping the car for a very long time so I am not worried about the history having gaps it in. From here on in I have kept all my receipts to show a new owner in the future. So bottom line is; Have it inspected. If there are some things wrong then get a price of what it would cost to fix and if they are minor or major issues and having said that the decision should be very easy.

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
The holes in the maintenace file are not that unusual. Get a detailed pre purchase inspection done by a Ferrari mechanic. The car may have just been stored properly and be fine. Make sure they do both a leak down and compression test.

Regarding concern on if the car was tracked, IMHO not a big deal. they are designed to be tracked and driven hard. Despite popular preception, Ferraris are not fragile cars. They are designed to be raced.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I ran the Chassis Number through a VIN Check Program, and it failed, although it correctly identified it as a US/LHD 355 GTB, Can you double check the VIN ? Is it F1 or manual ?

Argento

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manual.

It's a 1999 Gallio Modena F355 GTB, 6-speed manual transmission, factory Scuderia badges, factory sport seats, and factory challenge grille. It has aftermarket Tubi exhaust, and an aftermarket stereo installed. Total mileage for the car currently has 19,225 miles on it.

Here is the VIN number according to the dealer's website:

ZFFXR41A0X0114689

·
Registered
151 Posts
It's a 1999 Gallio Modena F355 GTB, 6-speed manual transmission, factory Scuderia badges, factory sport seats, and factory challenge grille. It has aftermarket Tubi exhaust, and an aftermarket stereo installed. Total mileage for the car currently has 19,225 miles on it.

Here is the VIN number according to the dealer's website:

ZFFXR41A0X0114689
For some reason the check digit, (only used in the US) is failing...I do not know why?

I'll double check the data & software..

Argento

1 - 6 of 6 Posts