Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like an opinion.

I have read numerous times on the net that originality is key when buying a ferrari along with low mileage.

Im afraid Ill devalue a car if I go and change out the exhaust, ignition, and modify the air fuel delivery system and the like. Along with stereo and such. As long as I keep all the original parts I should be ok right?

I have seen a few 308/328's with way over 100,000 miles and they still seem to demand a good dollar. Im pretty sure Ill look for a car who has just had its major service completed.

Thanks for any input this is all new to me. Im used to American junk...err i mean cars.

·
Registered
383 Posts
i don't think changing the stereo system will devalue the car that badly (unless you're thinking of adding in a couple of subwoofers and a bling bling audio system with neon lights of course). I don't see anyone who swapped their exhausts for tubis, losing out by much either. But if you slap on a turbo then yeah definately, that will effect the price to an extent.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Rule of thumb is an original Ferrari will fetch better price. But if you have to change some of the parts cahnge to those that are suppliers to Ferrari. The best is to look at the tuners that supply to the Ferrari Challenge series and the FIA GT series. Manufacturers such as Tubi for exhaust, BMC for filters, Sparco for seats and so on. That way you even if you change, you will still be using "Ferrari parts".

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree with everyone else here.. Stick to the origional car as much as possible.. There are certain additions that do seem to increase the value/saleability of the car (Ferrari carbon fiber Racing seats, Tubi exhaust, Fender shields) but there are others that you need to be more careful about (Body kits, funky wheels, big HiFi systems with associated neon lights directly from the "To Fast to Furious" movie") - Not saying that you cannot sell a car with these "alternative options" but you are dramatically reducing the potential buyers of the car and most Ferrari dealers will penalize you on a trade in.

Derm

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have no problem with modifications to a car as long as

A. They improve the performance of the car.
B. It is an improvement of the the original design, (mechanical)
C. The improvements or modifications can be reversed to original configuration. "Bolt on, Bolt off"

Cutting holes in the body, chopping and channeling, bling bling, hydraulics, neon and fake wire wheels are all capitol offenses.

DJ

·
Registered
9 Posts
I believe the cars have a depreciation cycle of 20 years or so. Basically, I usually prefer original, but on newer cars it dosen't matter so much.
I might buy a car that was modified heavily 20 years previously, as long as everything was well documented and the modifications were as... well it's a ferrari, I don't know if I can say reliable, but as 'constant' (?) as the new car would be.
older cars - well I guess it dosen't matter so much, if your car has a higher than most ferrari mileage, maybe it might be better. Just don't expect to get more than half of what you do in modifications back.
sometimes rare cars being modified heavily is just as good as raping the car of everything that makes it so rare, IMO

·
Registered
151 Posts
C4Saddict - older cars - well I guess it dosen't matter so much, if your car has a higher than most ferrari mileage, maybe it might be better.

I guess it is true for all cars and it is true for Ferraris as well. The more the car is driven the better it is. I am under the belief that cars tend to get lazy and worn out over time if they are not driven and cars that have been driven, of course correctly, will produce more power and are more reliable. Well, if it is a show car you probably want the lowest milage car. But if it is going to be driven I will look for a car that has been properly brocken in and well documented with all services done at service intervals.

I modified a lot of stuff on my Convertible BMW (rims/tires, suspension, break rotors/pads, intake and exhaust), all done very tastefully but when I turned around to sell it the buyer pool was very limited. It's all a personal taste, I saw a set of 19" HRE black rims with machined chrome lips that looked just stunning on a red Stradale and I am sure they will look awsome on a 360Modena. If I change the tires and wheels on my 360 I will keep the originals just in case (not that I am about to sell my car yet).

Cheers,[/quote]

·
Registered
770 Posts
Nothing wrong with the stereo - but whoever put those wheels on it should be taken out and shot!!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Well, if you like the wheels, buy it. I don't like them, but you don't buy the car for me. (If you do, I wouldn't mind the wheels either) You can always say you want to paty less because the wheels are not original, and that way have less depreciation.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I like the wheels.
Anyways, a higher mileage ferrari will not attract people or bring as good a price as a lower mileage example - because with any car, people look for lower mileage - means the engine hasn't had alot of time to have stuff, well, go wrong.
Therefore on a higher mileage example, I would modify it - instead of having a lower value due to it's mileage, and that general market is looking for low mileage, you open up a new market to your car who wants it modified - smaller for sure, however...
Again, wheels and such are so hard to modify because tastes vary...

·
Registered
151 Posts
C4Saddict said:
Anyways, a higher mileage ferrari will not attract people or bring as good a price as a lower mileage example - because with any car, people look for lower mileage - means the engine hasn't had alot of time to have stuff, well, go wrong.
I am not disputing the price difference with a high milage car vs. a low milage car. If I am buying Ford Taurus I would want to buy the lowest milage car. But if I am buying a used Porsche or a Ferrari I want to make sure the drive train have been rung out. And, there are the normal wear and tear of the engine/transmission that need to be considered with a high milage car. But, a well documented and serviced Ferrari should give you confidence that the car would drive well and will not let you down on a side of the road. On the other hand, a low milage car which sits in the garage most of the time or only taken for short stints sees more stressful wear and tear on the moving parts and seals. The moving parts need to be lubricated at all times, the lubrications tend to settle down at the bottom after sitting for a while and leaves dry spots, let's say in the cylender walls and inside the tie rods. Everytime you start the car the moving parts are initially moving w/o proper lubrication. Tewenty years of once a week or twice a month driving and that engine eventually going fail. Just like any fine wrist watch that if it is not worn must be on a watch winder so that the lubricant move and don't settle in one location! Now, what a low milage car will certainly give you is cosmetic health which is easier to deal with than stealth drive/train problems.

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I don't mind modifications as long as they are tastefully and correctly done. My 308 is lowered with aftermarket rims, a "collapsed" front bumper and a euro frontend. I've had Ferrari "purists" tell me that my 308 is the nicest looking one they've seen.

The biggest tip I can offer on modifications - make sure they are modifications you want. If you want a 308 with a Euro frontend it is cheaper to buy a 308 with one already installed than buy a stock 308 and put a Euro frontend on it.

I don't think modifications like that decrease the value of the car, but I don't think they increase it either. It depends on the buyer. Someone that wants a lowered 308 with the Euro frontend and likes the look of my rims should be willing to give me what the car is worth and not have the added expense of making the modifications. A purist who demands originality may try to talk me down in price but would more likely than not try and find a different car. It would be too expensive to put the car back to original.

Here's my car: http://www.ferrariforum.net/forum/download.php?id=118

The only modification I have done myself is swap out the point-type ignition with a Crane Cams electronic ignition to increase the reliability (and get rid of those points). Does that modification change the value of the car? Probably not. But it is a selling point. A plus for the guy who wants to drive the car and doesn't care about originality. A minus for the purist because it is quite obvious when you look under the hood that the ignition is not stock and it would be a pain in the butt to change it back to points (I already sold the parts to someone who needed them).

But I don't really care about that. The value of these older cars fluctuates and what is important is do you feel you are getting the car you want at a price you feel is fair. If you and the seller both agree than that is what the car is worth.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts