Ferrari Life Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thought I'd mention that I finally removed my OEM exhaust to install the Ferrari sport exhaust and noticed that the thermal expansion was enough to push my stock muffler back into the rear where the weld seam on the muffler actually contacted the bracket just below the bonnet latch (spider) when hot.

Was a bit surprised how much that muffler moved back. My stock brackets were removed last year, and I don't think there was contact before, at least I never noticed it. The black paint was worn away in a couple spots, making the contact quite obvious. I believe removing the support brackets allowed the exhaust/bow bracket to expand much more.

Those who have brackets removed may want to check to see if you have the same condition. Nothing serious, just some flat black paint rubbed off and some scars (wear marks).

As soon as I collect a couple more 12mm wrench styles and build up a bit of confidence, I have a set of Tubi manifolds I plan to install.

I also noticed on my '06 that I believe I have only one O2 sensor downstream in the cat and only a thermocouple upstream in the manifolds. I would think that CEL's from AM manifolds w/o pre-cats would be much less common on the earlier cars like mine.

Joe

·
Registered
12 Posts
amazing post with great description. thank you!!
Can you still report the positive effect of the capristo brackets after all these years?

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Hello Christophe, thank you for your nice comment.

Sorry but it's now already a long time I removed these aftermarket brackets. I believe I posted this somewhere here but can't find it. Anyway, the result was that these brackets are creating a strong link between the engine and the chassis which at end isn't a good idea and caused a lot vibrations and torsion. The best solution after all is to remove the OEM brackets which support the cats. They are the cause of all the troubles and once removed, the exhaust line can nicely expand again just as it has been done originally on the 360. The bow sitting on the gearbox is strong enough to hold the entire exhaust line while it allows it to expand backwards up to 2cm.
I'm driving and tracking my car since already several years that way and never has any issues anymore.

All you need to do is to remove parts marked in red, that's all.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I took also a couple of picture where the efficiency of the Capristo exhaust brackets can be clearly seen. Grace to these brackets, the entire exhaust line can now expand as much as needed. It shows evidence that the exhaust really need to expand, something it cannot do with the stock brackets. The grease marks left on the bracket leg show the difference between the maximum and minimum expansion of the exhaust. I made this test after a normal drive, so the engine wasn’t too hot. Although, there is enough margin left for the exhaust to expand when the car is really driven hard and consequently will have a hotter exhaust which consequently will expand more.

For those who install these Capristo exhaust brackets, you should see identical marks. If you don’t, it means that the bolds have been tighten too much and the exhaust won’t be able to expand neither the suspension springs won’t be able to do their job. Make sure that with a cold engine, the bolds are positioned at one extreme side (towards the cross member) and that a maximum hole space is left for the brackets to move in the opposite direction.
This is one of those "pay me now or pay me later" type necessary fixes. The brackets cost $850 USD but a cracked exhaust header costs a small fortune. Thanks, Stef, this is one item I will have to move up on my MUST DO list.

Fear not, that's AFTER I get your DRL kit, the interface for the Shift-P2, and the Advanced F1 ECU. I am eagerly awaiting the Rear LED Complete Package (It's in Belgium currently).

The kids really don't need to go to college. Right?

Just kidding, I have no kids.

Ray

Reactions: StefVan

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Andrew, in the US, they cost 550$. Here is the link for the US : Capristo Exhaust USA
Here is a link to their updated price.

They are $850 now. There are brackets that cost $550, but they are not Capristo and do not have any mechanism for thermal expansion. I looked for an alternative. From an engineering standpoint, there is none.

I'd rather spend the money on other cool things (from Scud Ing) for my F430, but these seem to be a "pay me $850 now or pay me $2,500 later". And that's the price for after-market headers. I don't want to know what the OEM parts cost.

Ray

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
You're very welcome ;) Even for the latest models, I wouldn't hesitate do to this upgrade because the OEM exhaust brackets are strictly identical to the earlier models (except the part which is holding underneath the cats which has been reinforced and has normaly been changed on the earlier models). The high level of stress on the entire exhaust system may sooner or later lead to exhaust header issues. If your car is a keeper I would do it, if it’s not, I would still do it for the future owners but just keep the OEM parts in a box if you need to retrofit them.
Stef,

Upon your sound logic, I made the decision to order these. I spoke with "Jordan" and he assured me it will ship with the copper-plated bolts and lock washers.

I told him to say "Hi" to Antonio and Martin on your behalf.

This will delay my mega order for the DRL kit, CAN-bus kit, and Smart F1 ECU upgrade for a bit while I convince my wife this is not bling, but essential parts for safety and vehicle protection. Okay, the CAN bus is bling, but I stated that upfront, no harm, no foul.

Thanks for the early warning on this issue and the instructions for installation. Already acquired the Permatex #800788 Anti-seize high temp lubricant.

Ciao!

Ray

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #148
Ok Ray, it's your car :) do what you feel best for her ;).
Let us know how it goes once you receive them.
Ciao,
Stef

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Ok Ray, it's your car :) do what you feel best for her ;).
Let us know how it goes once you receive them.
Ciao,
Stef
I take what you write seriously. That's why I bumped the brackets to the top of the acquisition list.

Fear not, I'm getting those DRL lights and the CAN-Bus interface, and the Smart F1 Relay upgrade on August 13th.

It takes time to loot one's retirement account. :cool:

I should have a cutlass and an eye-patch...🏴‍☠️

Ray

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
I took also a couple of picture where the efficiency of the Capristo exhaust brackets can be clearly seen. Grace to these brackets, the entire exhaust line can now expand as much as needed. It shows evidence that the exhaust really need to expand, something it cannot do with the stock brackets. The grease marks left on the bracket leg show the difference between the maximum and minimum expansion of the exhaust. I made this test after a normal drive, so the engine wasn’t too hot. Although, there is enough margin left for the exhaust to expand when the car is really driven hard and consequently will have a hotter exhaust which consequently will expand more.

For those who install these Capristo exhaust brackets, you should see identical marks. If you don’t, it means that the bolds have been tighten too much and the exhaust won’t be able to expand neither the suspension springs won’t be able to do their job. Make sure that with a cold engine, the bolds are positioned at one extreme side (towards the cross member) and that a maximum hole space is left for the brackets to move in the opposite direction.
Is there a starting length for the springs? The photos Capristo includes with the brackets shows the springs compressed to perhaps half their full length. With a cold engine do you have a starting length which can be shortened/lengthened as appropriate?

Thanks,

Ray

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
Ray, you can ask Capristo how much the springs should be compressed. I never found the right length. Too long, they rattle and don't support correctly the exhaust line, too short (or too tight), they don't let the exhaust expand backwards.

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Ray, you can ask Capristo how much the springs should be compressed. I never found the right length. Too long, they rattle and don't support correctly the exhaust line, too short (or too tight), they don't let the exhaust expand backwards.
I noticed in their photos the springs are compressed midway. I selected that as a baseline and will adjust if necessary based on your photos of the brackets cold, and up to operating temperature to gauge whether to compress them or relax them.

I test drove the car for about an hour and mine seem to be behaving as those in your photos,

I will keep everyone updated on my progress.

Thanks,

Ray

141 - 152 of 152 Posts