Ferrari Life Forum banner

121 - 140 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sorry for confusion, its really cross reference to the other thread from John on 3500 rpm vibrations, I meant how would I know that my engine mounts are potentially on the way out (I know this can be a 430 issue) everything feels very solid including gearshifts. Physical inspection I guess ?

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
The easiest is to ask someone to rev the engine while you're inspecting the engine mounts. When the revving the engine, one side should slightly stretch the engine mount while the other side, it should compress it. The engine should not move backwards/forward. If there is an excessive play or an unbalanced play, one or both engine mounts may be worn out. It seems also that excessive vibration can be best felt on the passenger side which can be checked by putting your hand on the passenger seat to feel the level of vibrations. The best anyway is a visual inspection of the mounts but that involves a bit work as the condition of them can't be seen without lifting the engine.

·
Registered
416 Posts
tx. StefVan very useful as always, unlike Headers I guess Motor Mounts is a much less frequent problem ie <5% of 430's ?? but I understand it is not mileage or age dependent

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
I did "use" the engine quite a bit indeed ;) and just passed the 60.000 km. But soon, I'll have to change them, especially the gearbox mounts. The best way to see is with cold start, the rear wheels are slightly vibrating. When it does that, it's time to change the central gearbox mount as well as the engine mounts while we're there. Will be a summer job.

·
Registered
416 Posts
thx, after Easter, I will fully inspect my Capristo headers, removing the undertray & blankets, to see if there are any issues there but will do this together with a dealer on the lift

·
Registered
119 Posts
exhaust bracket upgrade

ive noticed since the install, the springs and bolts on the bracket make a metallic noise on tick over.
Any solution to this please.
Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
I removed my brackets to install the large washer between the bracket and rear panel. Surprisingly, I didn't have any problems removing the cinch nuts. I used a wrench on bottom and my electric impact wrench on top. Not certain I needed as much torque as the impact wrench provides, but they came right off.

When reinstalling I noticed that tightening them compressed the small spring on the top, but not the large spring on the bottom. Given that, I don't think they are very sensitive to how tight you make them. I tightened mine until the bolt and washers were snug, but couldn't be spun by hand. I completed the job last night and didn't hear any clicking or rattling sounds when I test drove it. I checked them when they were hot they had moved in the slots like they're supposed to do.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I completed the job last night and didn't hear any clicking or rattling sounds when I test drove it.
Rich, did you have any rattles or vibrations before you moved the large washer to between the bracket and rear frame? I don't have any vibrations with my Capristo brackets (installed like Richard's photo1) and I'm just wondering if you did yours as a preventative measure? I'm kind of leaning towards leaving mine alone since it seems okay.

Thanks!

·
Registered
80 Posts
It did on a quick test drive. I haven't been able to use the car since then and I need to do so before giving you a more definitive answer. Hopefully, I can do so over the weekend.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Unfortunately, it didn't solve the problem. I've tried changing the torque on the bolts to no avail. I'm hesitant to tighten them to far for fear of stopping movement when it's needed. I'm not certain if the sound is coming from the metal washers hitting the bracket when the spring compresses due to vibration, or from movement in the exhaust system itself. If the latter, then I guess the question is what part of the system is hitting part of the car? My motor mounts are new so it's not from excessive vibration. It's too bad that Capristo isn't offering any assistance.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was purchasing a car through a Ferrari dealer and they had identified that the front timing cover gasket needed to be replaced. In order to do that they had to move the engine which meant taking it off of the mounts. As long as they were doing that they offered to replace the mounts. I saw the old mounts and clearly the rubber in them was shot. The car had 9,000 miles on it.

121 - 140 of 144 Posts