Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had three floods in my home within a 6 month period. All water came from the inside.

1st was the small tube going to the toilet in the upstairs master bedroom cracked while I was away on vacation

2nd was the new humidifier the was not hooked up correctly by my contractor. It not only flooded my basement but shorted out my new furnace so it by passed all safety interlocks and ran full blast. When I came home it was well over 110 degrees in the house and the dogs where very unhappy. Fortunatly I was only gone a few hours

3rd was the the condensate pump for the AC. Only a small flood that time.

I was afraid to leave my house so I started looking into my options. Being the cheap ass that I am I did not want to pay a monthly monitoring fee. I found out the most alarm systems do not include a "voice dialer". You can add them extra. Most systems are designed to comunicate only with a monitoring service through digital communications.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A few alarm system terms that you need to know. Each sensor or switch is called a zone.

Another term is "supervised" and it is different than monitored. When they talk about a system that is supervised it means the system periodically checks the differents zones and makes sure they report in every once in a while to say they are still there and in working order. This is important in wireless systems especially.

I chose the Visonic PowerMax Pro becuase it was fully supervised and included the voice dialer and battery backup built in. I can program in up to four phone numbers and it will continue dialing those numbers until someone answers. I also have the option of having it professionally monitored for around $6 per month.

It came with a PIR(motion sensor), keyfob remote, and 2 magnetic door switches. The door switches have a second input available on them and can be used as two separate zones each. In my case I have the temp sensor hooked to the door switch on the garage. I also bought two wireless smoke detectors( one for the house and one for the detached garage) and I bought the Water Bug moisture sensor.

The water bug will handle up to 6 moisture sensors. I have one in the laundry room and two in the basement. I found they work best if set on a paper towel instead of directly on the concrete. They are very sensitive and sometimes picked up moisture in the concrete.

The Visonic Powermax has 29 wireless zones and one hardwired zone and one hardwired relay output. It also has X10 channels as that can be used for many things such as turning on lights or other X10 devices.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The wireless smoke detectors where about $100 each or you can go with the fire alarm :fireman: Wetpet installed on his house

Attachments

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 8 of 8 Posts