Ferrari Life Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
NEW OEM EVAPORATOR IN R-134a fittings

Production for new OEM evaporators with R-134a O-ring fittings was commissioned after two prototypes resulted in a final success
Today, my first deliveries have arrived.

With this final production, I now have a complete OEM replacement set for The Dino 246 in R-134a fittings with OEM original appearance. Every part in our system is new, appears identical to OEM but has superior HNBR O-Ring seals.
Every junction has ditched the old flare type seals for HNBR O-rings; the compressor, hoses, evaporator, condensor, drier and all port fittings.

Comparison between old and new

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
The original evaporator was a hefty 4 Pass, 19 row unit with flare fittings.
Our unit fits in the same form factor and is a 4 Pass, 16 row unit but has O-Ring seals

They original flare fittings were so leaky that the Ferrari owner's manual printed a recommendation to fill the system with Freon every year.
Modern fittings are superior in performance and longevity.

Attachments

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Complete replacement of OEM with new R-134a HNBR O-Ring seals for the; Drier, High Pressure switch, Low Pressure switch, and access port.
Plus - this is all accomplished with a reduction of 3 sealing surfaces.
Fewer sealing surfaces means fewer failure points and increased reliability

Note the "S" curve to OEM routing - this causes turbulent flow disrupting the refrigerant path. Our new straight hose allows the refrigerant to retain a laminar flow, facilitating more efficient cooling and faster cycle rate through the system.
To add to this same point, I am using 45 degree fittings that were not available in Oct 1971 when Dinos first started having OEM A/C installed. These fittings reduce hose bends and allow improved refrigerant flow while reducing stress on hoses.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Interesting. PM sent
PM responded too

I'm out of town but arrive July 14th to perform the second conversion on Dino 06472 and will custom make all hose lengths so that gives me a second Dino data point to " fine tune hose length measurements"
Dino 05702 was done during a restoration. Dino 06472 will be a conversion straight off the street, so that will give me better benchmarks for time to do this.
I also plan to use this conversion to return here and write a DIY on what exactly it takes

My plan going forward for Dino A/C improvements

STAGE 1 - Complete replacement of OEM with R-134a
STAGE 2 - Increase Airflow - Supply side
STAGE 3 - Add kick panel vents to A/C routing

21 - 31 of 31 Posts