Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago I noticed reports of a Ferrari diesel Le Mans racer, code named 250 DTO, but as this came out in the spring, I put it down to an April Fools hoax.
However, the latest FOC (GB) publication has a report on the development of this vehicle. Ferrari engineers have taken an Alfa 2.4 diesel engine and tuned it to 400 BHP, it's painted green and sponsored by Philippo Bierro, so maybe it can run on olive oil too.

Audi have managed a cleansweep of Le Mans for the last few yrs with their R10 TDi, so why not Ferrari, it might keep the environmental lobby happy.

Should Ferrari make diesel versions of their road cars, and if they did would you buy one?

Personally, if I wanted a rosso diesel, I'd buy a Massey Ferguson;)

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Well, of course Bernie is touting a 2.4 litre using green tech or such for F1. at least that's what some of the F1 chat is stating. Bernie even invited Ford and [chrysler/chev] to participate.

wants smaller engines, no TC, more 'green' technology as a means to drive techno issues into mainstream....

diesel: possible.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can see F1 using bio fuels in the next few yrs to keep the greens happy. Currently F1 is under the spotlight for the amount of carbon it produces, not just for the fuel a F1 car burns but also for the amount of road and air miles a F1 team clocks up by moving it's infrastructure from country to country every fortnight.

F1 cars running on bio-fuel would be a big publicity stunt, but great PR for Bernie and F1. I don't think Audi have suffered from winning LeMans in a diesel. Maybe they'll put the R10 engine in the Gallardo and Murcielago?

There's also talk of a bio-fuel /diesel engined Ferrari 430 Challenge series.

They are using a fuel based on olive oil jointly developed with Filipo Berio.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I love diesel engines. I have 2 cars with diesels. The Mercedes that I love the diesel because of the great fuel mileage and reliability. The Dodge Ram with the Cummins diesel which I love because of the pulling power, fuel mileage and reliability. It is a 3/4 ton 4x4 and it gets 17 mpg towing the Jeep on a tandem axle trailer. The Jeep only gets about 15 mpg driving on it's own. The 308 only gets around 15 mpg, 7 mpg if you really get into it.

But fuel mileage is not why I have a Ferrari. The sound, the smell, the performance, the look, etc. A diesel in a Ferrari just wouldn't do it for me. It would cheapen the brand. Hell, if they are going to do that then they might as well build a Ferrari 4x4 SUV or a Ferrari Theme Park or something.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
well, if you use ethanol as fuel you'll have plenty of power and few differences from a gasoline engine

have you seen Koenigsegg's CCXR? over 1000 bhp using ethanol

http://www.seriouswheels.com/cars/top-2007-Koenigsegg-CCXR.htm

I think that's a way that F1 may go, wouldn't change much in the technology already invested in the engines, and the power would be able to go up, because ethanol allows the engine to use a higher compression ratio

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But fuel mileage is not why I have a Ferrari. The sound, the smell, the performance, the look, etc. A diesel in a Ferrari just wouldn't do it for me. It would cheapen the brand. Hell, if they are going to do that then they might as well build a Ferrari 4x4 SUV or a Ferrari Theme Park or something.
I agree with Pete. Ferrari's should run on gas. Trucks and SUV's are OK running on diesel, my wife has a Diesel Suzuki and it serves its purpose.

Many yrs ago ferrari built a one off 308 GTB 4X4, I tried to find pics on the web but couldn't. I think it was fitted with the Lancia rally 4X4 workings. It looked odd.

There's also talk of a 4x4 612 Scag.

I really hope they don't do what Porsche have done with the Cayenne, it's hideous looking.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I could see the thought of building a Diesel Le Mans series car just like the R10 and the new Pug that was debued at Le Mans this year but I feel that performance road cars should run on gas

·
Registered
9 Posts
I agree with Pete. Ferrari's should run on gas. Trucks and SUV's are OK running on diesel, my wife has a Diesel Suzuki and it serves its purpose.

Many yrs ago ferrari built a one off 308 GTB 4X4, I tried to find pics on the web but couldn't. I think it was fitted with the Lancia rally 4X4 workings. It looked odd.

There's also talk of a 4x4 612 Scag.

I really hope they don't do what Porsche have done with the Cayenne, it's hideous looking.

I remember a 4x4 Ferrari being on the cover of Road & Track during the mid to late '80s. I'll have to pull the issue and report back.. It was an odd looking piece.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that was the car. I tried searching the net for pictures yesterday but couldn't find any. I think it was pretty hideous looking, it even made a Cayenne look attractive;)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've found a picture of that car, and it wasn't the one I was thinking of. This one looks pretty aggresive and is a nice looking car.

The one I'm referring to was a one off, it looked more like a small SUV.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
But fuel mileage is not why I have a Ferrari....
No truer words had ever been spoken, Captain. Cruise missiles are launched to scorch some ass; not to scare the enemy by buzzing overhead.:)

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
...I tried searching the net for pictures yesterday but couldn't find any. I think it was pretty hideous looking, it even made a Cayenne look attractive;)
The one I'm referring to was a one off, it looked more like a small SUV.
It wasn't this you saw was it :eek: good job its not a 328 thats all I can say!

I have just become attached to the Cayenne...:eek:

no hablo español...

http://www.motorpasion.com/2006/10/27-como-no-vender-un-coche-en-ebay

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have thought of this subject numerous times. I can easily see diesel in a Porsche and Lamborgini. I cannot see it in a Ferrari just yet.

Knowing that Fiat is great diesel expert I can see a great V8/10/12 diesel Ferrari with some 1200 NM of tourqe. The sound will be just as bad, just look at BMW diesel engines. BTW BMW is bettern know for their diesel cars, and BMW is consiedered a sports car.

But as I said it will be Porsche and Lamborgini first, and they will take on the market first.. and get more money...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts