Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone, this is my first post here. :D

Been reading the board for a while now, and some questions have popped into my mind.
Here we go:

1) Has anyone ever rented a Ferrari? What model?
2) What did you like about renting vs. buying? Did you treat the car any different than if it would have been your buddy's car, or even your own car? (In other words, did you abuse it just because it was a rental car?)
3) Would you rent one again, and would you make it a habit (as opposed to buying your own)?
4) Any positive/negative experiences regarding renting a Ferrari? Interesting Stories?

As for myself, I rented a 360 Modena F1 last year, and just loved it. But at the same time felt that buying one wasn't for me due to maintenance costs, insurance cost, and in general being worried leaving it parked anywhere! Early this year I rented a 550 Maranello. Didn't like it as much as the 360, but was happy to experience that car regardless. Now thinking about renting a 355, I just love that body-style the best.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Steven

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A place in Japan, called Ramboru. As far as I know, that's the only place you can rent them here.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Welcome Bunchan. You're right, there very few cities/places where one can hire a Ferrari. I think the insurance cost a bundle.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Hi Bunchan,

Welcome to Ferrari Forum. Where in Japan do you live? I use to live in Tokyo.

I never realized you could rent a Ferrari in Japan. They have some awesome roads to drive so it would be very fun to experience some of them in a Ferrari.

Our sponsor Euro Sportiva also rents Ferraris in Europe. If you are ever on vacation there I suggest you check them out. Their site is http://www.euro-sportiva.com

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
There's a company based in Langkawi, Malaysia that does this. Langkawi is a duty-free port, so they can do the rental bussiness. Otherwise it would be a bad investment.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The most important part of the whole rental business is insurance, I think. Once I can get accurate info on that, I will be halfway.

Second-hand cars are very attractively priced in Japan, and usually not driven much and very well taken care of (maintenance done at the official importer). Tokyo is also one of the most expensive cities in the world, so lots of people with even more money. Most people don't have a car in Tokyo, because there is no need for one. But people like to do exciting things in the weekend, and driving is definitely one of the more popular weekend activities (top activity is no doubt shopping, but that's another story).

And then there is the beautiful Japanese countryside. It's day and night compared to Tokyo. As Enzo250GTO mentioned, there are some amazing landscapes about 1 hour from Tokyo. Most of them are very well-maintained mountain roads, winding up and down mountain for many kilometers/miles.

I know people would like to have a Ferrari in the weekend to play with, but I am not sure how much they are willing to pay for it.

By the way, the guy I rented the 360 from, charged me about $300 for 1 hour. I am thinking that $1500-$2000 would be reasonable for 1 day.

Come on people, I want to hear more opinions on this!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added some pictures.

This is the 360 Modena I rented last year. It was a 2002 model with F1 gearbox.

Getting ready to take the 550 Maranello out. Very confortable car, easy to drive, but lots of power!
(nevermind my gf's bag)

Drove this Lambo for about 2 hours, not easy to drive in traffic! Very heavy clutch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts