Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear All

A forum is a way to express feelings, besides other things...so I try a start:

Do I need to say that the F50 is THE modern Ferrari dream to me? After the pound has fallen dramatically, it came to my attention that in London a F50 is offered for a reasonable price (in F50 terms that is).
Boxer pre-checked the car and liked it so this week I went to dealer Joe Macari to look at it personally.
I had the pleasure to learn to know a man, who’s attitude expressed a sincere friendliness, a great level of enthusiasm and a deep understanding for the thoughts and possible doubts of a "wanna be client". Joe Macari.

His F50 is gorgeous. Besides 2-3 little issues which easily can be corrected, THIS car is it. The beauty of the F50's constructional and technical outlay, based around that beautiful carbon fibre chassis, that gorgeous 12 cylinder, thin steel, engine block with a extremely beautiful gear box mounted to the back of the block..mouthwatering.

Joe, a racing driver, took me out for an half an hour drive, epic that was as my heart fell between my bottocks. Asked for driving by myself I denied, as the potential of the car was impressively showed to me just before.

To own a F50 was and is a dream of mine and here it is, right at my fingertips. So everything is clear, isn’t it ?

Yes and no. Yes, because THIS car is the one, its ready and available. Yes, the person and the price is right and correct and yes, I’m ready for it.

So...what’s the no ?

Maybe that I already have a wonderful peace of machinery from Maranello, the Scuderia ?
Maybe that I should fully enjoy only one car at a time?
Maybe that it’s a feeling of "its just not right in those difficult times, when others struggle in life with their families to buy a second car of such means ?

It’s a question of faith to do the correct decision! If the Scuderia would not be here, there would be no question at all.
But should I sell now the Scuderia after owning it for half an year only? A car which I sincerely "love" for all great what it is? Imagining again my daughters tears in the eyes as already twice before?

Decisions, decisions. I hate to let people wait and being dependent on my decisions. After 1 a day rehearsal, I came to no conclusion on my problem...therefore decided to let the F 50 go....! I regret it (by heart and soul) but "common sense" tells me it’s the better decision to still enjoy the Scuderia for some time and THEN look for the F 50. Or not?
Your sincere thoughts are very welcomed.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It must have been a very tough decision to make, but you have to do what you feel is right.
However, I must say that given the weakness of the pound and the current slump in supercar prices, now must be the best time to buy.
5 years from now, the economy will be stable, the pound will have recovered, and who knows, F50's might be more loved than they are today. Wether you are converting Swiss Francs or Euro's in to Sterling, I don't think there will ever be another opportunity to buy a F50 at the current price based on your currency.
A tough call indeed, but thanks for sharing your thoughts.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Archie.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tough decision. After reading your post I think you've done the right thing. It needs caracter to say no to something you really really want because it doesn't feel right. But don't worry,the future will bring new opportunities. Don't look back, no regrets and drive scuderia like hell and I'm sure you'll be fine..

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
These are my favourite threads, 212. It's why I've taken people along with my purchase processes, the 550 and the Boxer, as well. I love reading people's motivations, particularly when they are well thought out. You can always learn from other people and the decisions they make, as long as they share the decision making process with you.

I fundamentally understand your reasoning and I concur with Louis that it's quite a thing to walk away from something you really want for logic reasons. Not too many people can do that.

However, I'm in Archie's camp to a large degree, with the caveat that the market will continue to go down. The recession is only just starting to really hit the Ferrari market, and it is my firm belief that it will provide some excellent opportunities in a couple of months. Already there are nice bargains to be had, but I really think we have only just started to see the impact. When we get to this point, we will see prices that won't come back for a very long time. So if you want to buy something special, then mid-2009 is, I think, the time to do it. The added bonus in this particular case would be the English pound in the dumps, and I think that will continue for a while.

One "problem" in your case is the Scuderia (what a strange sentence! :)) - if you only want 1 Ferrari then you will lose quite a bit on the Scud when you sell it. On the other hand, that car will never be as special as the F50. Much as I love the Scuderia (and believe me, I am completely in love) I believe that in 3 years time it will be seen exactly like the 360 CS. Wonderful, but not unique.

I can't say what you should do, 212Export, but what I CAN give you is my own current reasoning. I am looking at having an opportunity in a couple of months to maybe stretch to a 275GTS, which is my dream Ferrari (in the realm of attainability). Recent developments make that car almost in reach. If it drops another 25% or so, it becomes viable. Now - I would be putting all my monetary eggs in one basket if I do it. The sensible option would be to use the money in other ways. But - I just know that this kind of opportunity will not come again. If I don't go for it now, it just won't happen again. I won't do it if it is a stretch (in which case I may go for a lovely 330GTC), but if I see a half decent chance, I will. The thing that I'll be focusing on is: can I afford to maintain it for at least 5 years? This way you ensure you can ride out the recession and wait until they become worth more. I am convinced that, whilst cars should not be seen as investments, we are already at a stage where you can guarantee that you will sell it for more than you're buying it for. You just need the stamina to ride it out.

Best of luck with the decision. The great thing is - whatever you do, you already have my absolute favourite modern Ferrari in the garage. What a fantastic position to be in!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
453 Posts
So to get this straight. The rare one of 349 built F50 that you loved so much and for so long as your Ferrari dream with all your hart right to you fingertips for all your life. Is now being put on the back burner so you can keep a run of the mill garden variety Scuderia?:yikes: Is that right:jesus:
Man if i was in your personal position. I would buy the once in a life time F50 and sell the Scuderia, which can be picked up again at a later date. At probably an even lesser cost as i originally sold it.
Brother....would it help you much if i flew down to see you with my pliers to try to persuade you:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,209 Posts
Great thread and very good posts.
Decisions, decisions. I hate to let people wait and being dependent on my decisions. After 1 a day rehearsal, I came to no conclusion on my problem...therefore decided to let the F 50 go....! I regret it (by heart and soul) but "common sense" tells me it’s the better decision to still enjoy the Scuderia for some time and THEN look for the F 50. Or not?
Your sincere thoughts are very welcomed
I endorse this logic, and believe you made the right experience...

now, for me to drop a shoe on it..sorry, you asked :D

PS: DON'T take my story/mussings/experience as a "you should have 'dude'"

My experience.

I, as perhaps you, had put my dream off for many years under the thought "someday, maybe". I struggled with what model for years, using this site's buyers guide to get better acquainted along with numerous books and endless talks with Brad Goldstone of Ferrari of San Francisco for YEARS...to better understand my desires, the issues, the ones I thought were THE one...to settle on the Mondial T as my first: From FofSF and Brad.

VERY nice. At times I wished for more.

As you it was a struggle. I have not driven many 'other' Ferraris, but the T wasn't the entire expression of my Ferrari itch.

At a BAD time, under questionalble circumstances, I ran across the 456, which expressed many things for me....almost a 'super' Mondial T in some thoughts, but I wanted it....struggled with that....WE, wife and ME/I LOVE THAT car...

Want to sell the T sometimes now, as it's not fair to own two and cheat one out of its proper use: picking one child out of the nursery is unfair...

but, wait. We are starting to use them more....When the Volvo went to toast :(

We had little choice but to use a Ferrari more and more...GREAT...good. well done as a blessing in disguise.

So, to your question and mussings. Tough one in that you are graced with being in such a spot...bit, as I'm guessing out of your league..otherwise you would have it on the road.

Do not feel you need to keep both, but if you do here is some personal thoughts:

- want to sell the T and probably will, but it's actually getting more use than before the 456 came here: neglected child...NOT
- the 456 gets GREAT use....
- everytime I struggle to sell the T, I love its looks as wife drives either in front of me or away: can't seem to let it go...but honestly, we probably will someday
then again not THAT's the true dilema....nice to be in such a spot

will you need to sell that Scuderia...that isn't the question
the question is, can you have both now
that is easiser in this term:
- yes, you will loose some money on either/both after acquiring the F50: that's always a given in Ferrari...deal with it.
- You will maybe NOT get this F50 item sorted as you say again...not many nice ones in the Ferrari market without trusted backgrounds..BUT, when you get one, its worth it.
- life is short, the economy is uncertain, you will struggle unless this is the house payment your pinching.....if so, stop, and dream.
if not...then you, are going to love acquiring this item.

Everytime you have those two together, you ALL will be in a new heaven...
everytime you go to let the young'un go, Scuderia, you'll find a way to 'have to wait a bit longer'
You will make, that decision, better, later.
IF you find the Scuderia must go for finances, or use of vehicles properly [afterall the F50 is NOT a take it to the store daily driver : ], then you'll like being where you are.

The F50's are rare, and not insanely an Enzo. Sorry, not...almost a better car the 50
I would LOVE a 599, or even a SA....might even pick up a 400 for it's 12 cylinder old school,
CRIPES, I'm turning into a collector....

however, I am also excited about buying another ranch and doin the soil

can't make your decision, but with MY/OUR economy going south and me with investments having a heavy struggle, I am not changing a thing if I can....

keeping the two until ..

rik

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Tough decision. After reading your post I think you've done the right thing. It needs caracter to say no to something you really really want because it doesn't feel right. But don't worry,the future will bring new opportunities. Don't look back, no regrets and drive scuderia like hell and I'm sure you'll be fine..
Dear Louis, many thanks for your kind words.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear Onno. Many thanks for your long and well thought comment. I really appreciate your effort. I fully agree with all arguments of yours, and yes, I expect the general classic market to go down more. (So I sincerely hope you will buy your dream 275 GTS for around $ 250 - $300, we will see these prices).
The F50 market is a compleately other market. The person interested in a F50has no way to diverge. Its the only in its kind. As you correctly say, if the 275 GTS prices will not tank, then you have the possibility to switch to a 330 GTC, so..to another classic. With the F50 there is no alternative. One may have the F 50 or he has it not. Thats why even in a very accentuated recession, I do not expect F50 prices to fall much further. This London offer is about the best I expect to get.
Selling the Scuderia would be a small loss of probably 5-10% nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to get this straight. The rare one of 349 built F50 that you loved so much and for so long as your Ferrari dream with all your hart right to you fingertips for all your life. Is now being put on the back burner so you can keep a run of the mill garden variety Scuderia?:yikes: Is that right:jesus:
Man if i was in your personal position. I would buy the once in a life time F50 and sell the Scuderia, which can be picked up again at a later date. At probably an even lesser cost as i originally sold it.
Brother....would it help you much if i flew down to see you with my pliers to try to persuade you:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Dear Chaz, it may would help to act with the pliers at hand:wall:

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dear Granucci, also to you my sincere thanks to your detailed and interesting experiences and thoughts. Yes, I will admit it, the perfect stable for now would be the F50 AND the Scud. And no, I never ever would play with the house's payment. I'm very, very conservative in that way and paid down my house mortgage 15 years ago even by being penalized by our stupid tax system, which favors a debtor over the downpayer. Honestly I never would buy one screw of a Ferrari as long as I would own somebody somewhere 1 penny.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Only comment I will make is, I don't think you will find a better F50.

Certainly not one with the type of unique deal possible in this particular case.
My dear friend...you are 100% right. There is no better deal. This F 50 has it all and some. I'm very thankful that you took the time to check the car before me. Your experience as a owner of a F50 is unpayable and I'm in great debt to you. After all it would have been easier if the car would be a "crap":happy2:

Many, many thanks again, Boxer !

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Well, 212Export, I see your point. But I do slightly disagree - I think the F50 will suffer from the recession just like any other car, only less so. With the F50 we don't have historic evidence, of course, because it was born after the last collapse, but last time around nothing was safe and I think it will be similar this time.

But that doesn't matter - the perfect car for you is for sale right now, and all things considered it seems that the best choice for you is to pass it up. That's fine - as long as you are convinced you thought about it, then you can look back without regret. Your trusty Scuderia will be waiting for another session in case you need any consoling... :D

Happy motoring, my friend!

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Personally, F50 is Super, but not my cup of tea, so to speak, all the faults being mine. You may need to calm down, if possible, and reconsider why F50 is your dream car. Obvious points are,...power, looks, rarity, ad nauseum. After going over the list and you feel this is the opportunity (balanced by reality), and you still cannot forget, maybe this is the opportunity to acquire and fulfill your dream, even if you have to let the other one go. You can always acquire another Scud in the near future. Good luck w/ your decision, whichever way it tips. Hard, indeed. w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Onno and Jimmy, thanks for the additional comments. Onno, you may be right about a possible price fall even with the F50's. But in this respect I'm not the guy who will nimble about prices if I really want something. Really its not the price issue..otherwise I would not have flown to London to see it...as the price was and is clear and correct. The last 2 days of thinking ot over I got more and more that feeling of "I want that car". And what really turns out to be the single bad feeling against it is that of "why 2 such great cars in these times when everybody is running to the door".
Well I guess I need to visit a "shrink":character_viking:

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
It appears to me that your mind is set, 212Export ! When I close my eyes, I can visualize you w/ your new TOY, screaming thru the valleys of Swiss & Europe. Dreams do come true, if you wish hard ???!!! w/ smiles Jimmy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Onno and Jimmy, thanks for the additional comments. Onno, you may be right about a possible price fall even with the F50's. But in this respect I'm not the guy who will nimble about prices if I really want something. Really its not the price issue..otherwise I would not have flown to London to see it...as the price was and is clear and correct. The last 2 days of thinking ot over I got more and more that feeling of "I want that car". And what really turns out to be the single bad feeling against it is that of "why 2 such great cars in these times when everybody is running to the door".
Everyone may be running for the door today, but the situation in a year or two will be different.

An F50 is not a car you buy to take the kids to school in. It is something you acquire with a long term view. Hence if the right car (which are very few and far between) becomes available today, even if the timing and macro situation is not great, I would urge stepping back and taking a more strategic approach.

·
Registered
6,209 Posts

sorry, but your only reason to pass seems, well, a bit confusing. IF you intend to take that money and do something for the betterment of the economy, in these tough times, benovolent or start a business or something, then that makes sense. However, you pass for the TWO good reasons sited: not making sense to me....

'show of wealth', might be the hesitation, but not so...this car exists, you have the means, and it is just passing ownership....buy a prius for daily if you must. Shucks, I've installed solar on the home, NOT as a means to show my green side, but becuase it makes sense and I've always been that way.

Having said such 'insult' [from me above] I respect your holding pattern as this is NOT the time for you....otherwise it would have been done...shoot, I'm more excited about you getting the car than I...you would be my alter-ego in that sense, but, I truly think you are making the correct choice and
thanks
for letting us give open comment and you respected response: We are a good site here...PS WE ARE you Sigmund / "shrink":character_viking: so look no further :D
rik

1 - 20 of 58 Posts