Ferrari Life Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Deal is done picking up Thursday or Friday.

1982 BB512i

One owner since new from Switzerland.

Got the vehicle in Montreal after looking and trying out 5 different 512's in the last month and a half.

Had to get my wife a new house in order for her to take the pill on the F-Car but finally I have the rig that I wanted since 1982 when I worked in a lumber yard in Montreal East and saw the one that the owner of the business beside the Lumber yard owned.

Got sidetracked while I got my dream boat last year so now it was time for my dream car.

Thanks for all the help from very knowledgeable members on this forum helping me do my due diligence.

G.L.

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Congratulations!! Beautiful clean car. I like those seats. Are they after market? Never seen bucket seats like that on a boxer. Best of luck with it.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
G.L.,

Congrats on the new car. I am happy we were able to help. I think we have over 20 Boxer owners on the site now.

Let us know next week how the car drives as I'm sure you'll be behind the wheel a lot this weekend. Also take your wife for a Sunday drive in the car and I think she will come to understand what a Ferrari really is.

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
GL, Glad we could help and welcome to the Boxer Owners Club. Your 512 BBi sounds like it has a bit of similar history to mine. Both originally were sold in Switzerland. I have been told that a lot of the Boxers intended for Grey Market shipment into North America were officially sold through Switzerland. Have a great time. Cheers :green: :green:

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Great news GL
enjoy the car fully
and share some more pics of her in the sun later on

i also see a silver BB next to yours, did you tried out that one aswell??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
355GTB said:
Congratulations!! Beautiful clean car. I like those seats. Are they after market? Never seen bucket seats like that on a boxer. Best of luck with it.

What I was told is that they were done at Ferrari with the extra bolstering in it. The Doctor that bought it new requested it.

It is also the first one I see with the fog lights closer-in to let space for air intake on the outside of the fog lights ducting air to the front brake, I was also told this was done at the factory.

I have not verified this but all is done impecably, the ducting you see with tie-wraps in the front suspension picture definitaly looks like it has been at least re done recently.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
:p
GL,
A dream car come true...greatest fun! Make sure you flash your lights so I can pull over and not get run off the road!

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
glh,

If you wouldn't mind I'd like to add the photos to the Registry. If that is OK can you post the SN. I don't collect owner information, just the car details.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Enzo250GTO said:
glh,

If you wouldn't mind I'd like to add the photos to the Registry. If that is OK can you post the SN. I don't collect owner information, just the car details.
I recorded it yesterdayand uploaded a couple pics, but it has not showed up yet.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
glh said:
I recorded it yesterdayand uploaded a couple pics, but it has not showed up yet.
:oops: :oops: :oops: that very well could be broken. I will have to re-check that form. In January the site's server was hacked and I may have overlooked that form (this is a pretty big site). Sorry. If you send me a private message with the SN I can look to see if the photo made it to the server.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The Car cannot be imported in the US before January 07. My intention was to register it to my property in Canada and then bring it to the US for controlled length of time, to be within the law, in the interim. I had found an insurer comfortable with that however a little expensive. This seems however to be exposing people involved in this deal to unwanted liabilities. This car might be inaccessible for me then.

Very unfortunate and disappointing it is a sweet car... the search might press on.

·
Administrator
15,173 Posts
Don't know if this helps but I was told it was 25 years from the date of manufacture, not first registration/sale. A letter from Ferrari confirming the date it rolled out of the factory gates for your SN is all that is needed for the DOT. My Boxer is a 1980 production, but it was not delivered until 1981 but for the DOT it counts as a 1980.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I'm a little rusty on all the laws but I wrote this in an article about the Boxer:

"However that did not stop Chinetti Motors in Connecticut from importing the car via Canada. At one point there were aproximately 50 illegal boxers in the United States. Eventually the law was redrawn that allowed a loophole for the illegal cars in the U.S. Dr. Norman D. Shutler working for the EPA allowed for a 30 minute test which was needed to meet emission laws."

Source: http://www.ferrariforum.com/models/monthly/view.php?id=5

But I am now guessing this law has either been amended or a newer law has replaced it. Hopefully Boxer's suggestion can close the gap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts