Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dash vinyl is cracked and I want to replace it. Has anyone done this and how big a job is it? Any pointers? I have a cracked windshield too, so removal of the windshield first may make it MUCH easier. The only major item I see is the removal of the instrument cluster (which needs removal anyway, because half of the lights are loose and the whole assembly could use some detailing etc. I wonder if the whole dash has to come out (huge job) or just all of the bits taken off of it (much easier).

Any comments are welcome.

Any ideas where to get replacement vinyl?

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Shouldn't this be a professional job ? Especially fixing the windscreen. There's no way you can try a DIY here. Fixing the dashboard may be easier but why not let the shop do everything.

·
Registered
770 Posts
That does sound like a professional job IMHO.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I got a guy here in the Netherlands that does upholstery. He does concours things, did a 250 GTO once. He was the guy that spotted 30 faults in the first seat of the new Spyker. After that they said he could do the whole production. He didn't do it, because he does it for fun. The Netherlands is a bit far, but hey, He gets more stuff from America and Japan, so why not? If you want it to be done professionally, he is your guy. Peter Jansens is the company +31 313415953

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Come on guys! Where's your sense of adventure!??!

I'll wager that I can do it and it will look as good as the factory! Any takers? I'll post photos along the way.

Now if I could just figure out which bit to press on the claw hammer to make it turn on.... hmm. Maybe it needs new batteries!

Michael

·
Registered
770 Posts
Re: Come on guys! Where's your sense of adventure!??!

mhampson said:
Any takers?
No chance!!!

You're probably like my father - he's been advised against doing lots of things like this in the past, and he always astounds everyone!! it's only because he's like me - too mean to pay for someone else to do something which "looks" like it should be easy!!

Besides - why not have a go. If the worst comes to the worst - you can always send it to the pros afterwards!

:green:

Can't wait to see the pics.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Besides - why not have a go. If the worst comes to the worst - you can always send it to the pros afterwards!
Yep after all the effort, you have to call the pros. :D

Good luck mhampson, somehow your first post doesn't exude a lot of confidence though. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, I'll keep you updated.

However it looks like an engine problem may have delayed this project. I drained the engine oil and several small pieces of hardened oil seal came out of the drain hole with the oil. I don't have any major leaks, so I don't THINK thay they are from the bottom end, but I don't know how cam shaft seal pieces could find their way to the sump area.

I may post a new topic, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them!

Michael

1 - 8 of 8 Posts