Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's a few pics of a damaged 348 that one of my work colleagues saw in the pits at Donnington last week.

The damage doesn't look too bad at first glance but it's actually quite badly bent up.

Justyn.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
OUCH

looks like he spinned and went sideways into the barrier or something, but at the end, or did he hit a pole?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've no idea what he hit but it does look like it was a pole / barrier / pit wall etc.

I'll bet the repair bill isn't cheap!

Justyn.

·
Registered
824 Posts
That is what I thought too! I think it is a 355 with 348 hood (probably due to earlier damage). Ah well, not a pretty site anyhow!

Niels

·
Registered
776 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong here but, the 348 had the grill all the way across the back like the Testarossa right? And the 355 had the four round lights on the back.
If I am correct in my recollection, then I too would say that is a 355 w/a 348 hood.
Nonetheless, Ouch!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Well, most parts between the two are interchangeble!! Should have seen the s/n to be 100% sure. But all other parts look like a 355 except the hood. I think the rear end and side panels of a 355 do all fit on a 348, so this is another possibility.

Niels

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
250lm said:
Well, most parts between the two are interchangeble!! Should have seen the s/n to be 100% sure. But all other parts look like a 355 except the hood. I think the rear end and side panels of a 355 do all fit on a 348, so this is another possibility.

Niels
This is I think what has happened. The door panels are interchangeable and much of the other parts are too so they had enough sense to still keep the right model badge. Looking at 02 the distance from the back of the wheel to the rear bumper looks to short for an F355 and the curve isn't right.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Still can't see whay Andrew means! I don't think this is logical anyway. Why change everything except the badge?? I personally think it is a 355 with another hood and not a 348 with 355 body.

Niels

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
250lm said:
Still can't see whay Andrew means! I don't think this is logical anyway. Why change everything except the badge?? I personally think it is a 355 with another hood and not a 348 with 355 body.

Niels
Well if it is a 348 with a F355 body I think the badge should stay the same as it should match the SN, engine, chassis, etc. If it is as you say an F355 with 348 hood then it is really dumb to put the 348 badge on but why would they do this?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just the one that was available when needed. It looks like it is a track drivers car or so for learning to drive on the track. Maybe they still had a 348 with front damage or the 348 hood was much cheaper.

Niels

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If I had know these photos would have caused so much discussion I would have gotten my colleague to get the serial number and take photos from all angles :D

Maybe they put a 348 hood on a 355 so they didn't have to drill holes in the 355 hood to attach that spoiler? Or is that a genuine 348 challenge spoiler? Maybe it came with the hood?

Who knows!

Justyn.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
well it does have 355 rims
justyn, you don't happen to have a shot from the front or the undamaged side?
also the car has Sparco seats wich are placed standard in the 355 & 360 challenge, not sure for the 348 challenge, and yes these could have been placed in later

and the wing could be from a 355 challenge

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those are the only 4 pics I have. My colleague was there to ride a bike around the track for the day and just happened to notice this car and get a few snaps for me.

I noticed the wheels and I do think it is a 355 with a 348 hood for whatever reason.

Justyn.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just noticed that the car is a "G" registration which would imply the year of manufacture is about 1990. It could be that the owner has transferred an older registration number onto a newer car but I think that's unlikely.

So it looks like it could be a 348 with lots of 355 parts / panels fitted.

Justyn.

·
Registered
82 Posts
what does the tb under the 348 mean? is it a turbo model?

·
Registered
824 Posts
If my memory serves me right, Transversale Berlinetta which means it is a Berlinetta with the gearbox mounted transversal.

Please correct me if this is not the explaination.

Justin, you might have a point on the G-registration. I think you were right in the firstplace then by stating it was a 348 :)

Niels

·
Registered
82 Posts
and what does berlinetta mean? also was the motor mounted transvers also ?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are 3 models of 348: the TB, TS & Spider

The TB has a fixed roof (Berlinetta)

The TS has the removable Targa roof

The Spider is a convertible

Justyn.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts