550 or 328 ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to get a new car as a daily driver and may have the opportunity to potentially go with a product from Maranello. The 2 options under consideration are either a 328 or a 550. The pros on the 328 are lower running costs, half the purchase price of a 550, basically no depreciation. The negatives include smaller cabin/less comfortable, visibility a challenge in traffic, 4 cylinder short of 12, etc.

The pros on the 550 are, well it is a 550, more comfortable to drive, 12 cylinders, potential future classic. The 550 cons are: still could drop another 15-20%, more expensive to run, much higher initial investment, etc.

The car will probably be used as a daily driver for a couple of years with 5000-7000 miles per year.

Comments and Opinions ?

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I voted for the 550. Based on Bart's experience and also your comments on the plusses and minuses (which I agree with completely).

If the cost of buying and maintaining a 550 is not a show stopper, then I'd go for that.

Another "pro" for the 550 is that you won't have to look as hard for a good, well-maintained example.

I agree with your "con" on the 328 as a visibility challenge in traffic. Great on the open road, but when the traffic is heavy it is harder to see and be seen. Not good for a daily driveer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry, twas me who voted 328 GTS, but only as we have just got one in stock at work and I'm in love with it, no other reason I'm affraid, just a childhood fantasy.

·
Registered
509 Posts
550 for a good reason. You said it has the potential to become a classic, if it does it will appreciate (given many years) but the value of having owned one might be more important, especially if you hold onto it.

Even more points for the 550 if its a more comfortable drive. I havent driven either of the cars in question, but comfort is a high priority for consistant use.

Plus, the 550 is gorgeous. ZeSharks Titanium 550 is stunning in the pictures he posted.

http://www.ferrariforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2797

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
The 550 without a doubt. Remember the 328 is now approaching 15+ years. As far as reliability I would say the two are near equals. But the 550 will have modern luxuries that you want for an everyday driver. Better seats, A/C that blows cold, a smoother ride, etc.

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
550 indeed, because I guess the comfort it gives you over the 328 comes in handy when using it as a daily driver. Also the visibility around is much better. Parts are easier to get I think, but you can't work on it yourself because of all the computerstuff.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Everyone knows how I feel about the 550 (albiet not as strongly as Bart) the 550 is one of the best cars created, not just by Ferrari but anyone, besides it is comfortable as a daily driver....Flying to Scottsdale this weekend to look at a couple more.

Mikel

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dr. Bob said:
550 indeed, because I guess the comfort it gives you over the 328 comes in handy when using it as a daily driver. Also the visibility around is much better. Parts are easier to get I think, but you can't work on it yourself because of all the computerstuff.

With 328 prices in the £20-30,000 range and 550 prices in the £45-60,000 range, does the 550 really justify the extra investment ?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Everything seems to be saturated with v8s (355s, a BILLION 360s and the 430s in there too). There are a couple of 575m's out there floating around, havent seen tooo many 550s.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts