Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have posted the same on other forums for best coverage. Sorry if you have hit it already.

I am suffering from TR fever and am ready to buy the antidote. I am looking at 2 very different cars and I have acouple questions for those that have gone before me...

Here is a brief description of the two cars on question. Each only has about 2 years of service history as far as I can tell:

1. 85 Euro spec car with proper DOT papers. Last major service in 2004. Classic color combo. Showing 30K but told it is still registering in kilometers so "actual mileage" is ~19K. Metric wheels and single mirror. Owner claims car is near perfect (what owner wouldn't, right?). I have not seen it in person yet. Asking low $50s

2. 90 US car. Last service done in 01 and 6K miles ago. "Off" color combo but I can live with it. I have seen this car and it is clean inside and out. Very good leather. Complete tools, jack etc. Well cared for. Asking low $60s

Here come the questions:

A) I know the changes made from the original introduction to the later TR model. From those with experience is the driving experience/reliability better for one version or the other?

B) #2 is going to need a service soon. Opinions on when you might suggest getting it done? I have not yet talked extensively to the owner about how it was driven - a lot on initial purchase and then sat for a while or continuos so belts were constantly exercised. Would it make a difference or is the trend more toward time consideration and ageing?

C) Considering the looming need for a sooner service and the off color, is the extra $10K justified - assuming similar condition of the older car?

Now the opinion part:

Which would you buy and for how much? Market seems to be doing a little better but many values are still out there?

Lastly, I really want a Yellow/Black TR. Anyone got one they want to part with?

Sorry for the long post.

CC

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
curtisc63 said:
Here come the questions:

A) I know the changes made from the original introduction to the later TR model. From those with experience is the driving experience/reliability better for one version or the other?
IMO, the 90 will be better than the 85 for sure, less bugs to deal with.

curtisc63 said:
B) #2 is going to need a service soon. Opinions on when you might suggest getting it done? I have not yet talked extensively to the owner about how it was driven - a lot on initial purchase and then sat for a while or continuos so belts were constantly exercised. Would it make a difference or is the trend more toward time consideration and ageing?
3 years or 30k miles, it needs to be done !

curtisc63 said:
C) Considering the looming need for a sooner service and the off color, is the extra $10K justified - assuming similar condition of the older car?
Get an estimate of what needs to be done and negotiate

curtisc63 said:
Now the opinion part:

Which would you buy and for how much? Market seems to be doing a little better but many values are still out there?
That is a hard question to answer… I would only buy Red/Tan, it’s my first criteria unless I can find a black/red int but would still be a hard decision between the colors. Second, I don’t really like the one mirror but love that’s in the middle of the pillar. I would find out how much and if one can be installed on the passenger side. Personally I wouldn’t mind that the 90 needs a service before driving it. It’s also good to know when I would get to drive it that it would be in top shape.

~

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Magnum6464 said:
Get an estimate of what needs to be done and negotiate

... Personally I wouldn’t mind that the 90 needs a service before driving it. It’s also good to know when I would get to drive it that it would be in top shape.

~
The latter cars in any series will tend to have less intrinsic problems.
Right on about negotiating the due major service, and that you will know exactly what will get done.
Post pics.:)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been to all of the resources and am very appreciative to those that contributed and mantained the pages. Having this type of info at my disposal has made the education process much easier.

CC

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Euro vs US models

I am not very sure about Testa but in other models like Dino and Daytonas there are some specific differences between Euro and US models in terms of mechanics, weight, etc due to the US Federal requirements. Personally, I prefer Euro models. You might want to consider this aspect in your decision process. Happy searching. Jimmy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts