Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a 355 GTS from 1996 38k miles, with full service history and just had cam belt change and service. Does somebody have a good idea of the cost per year in maintenance...Thanks

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
Mark,

Welcome to Ferrari Life. Boxer summed it up. For more in depth coverage I suggest checking out the Buyer's Guide. It will cover all the details of ownership and cost.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Boxer is right, about 1k to 1.5k per year

My old 355B was very reliable with the exception of one of the Catalytic converters which did need to be replaced when it blew a hole! (That cost $1800 to fix) The main cost should be depreciation, which I would factor at about 7 to 10k per year assuming average miles (Assuming no major mechanical issues etc)

Regards

Derm

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm actualy surprised. I have/had no idear what it would cost, but what you guys are typing sounds very acceptable...

All you have to do, is to make sure you make $20 dollar a day extra and you will have about $7300 a year. That should be enough to keep the car in excellent condition, right? .

hmmm... ...but how to make $20 dollar a day? And what about insurance? And a garage? And buying the car and... ...snif, never mind...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I cant make up my mind if it sounds just relativly more pricy to drive a ferrari or shockingly scarry expensive. but hey since jan ive paid around 2,500 to 3,000 bucks for my beat up old ford ranger, radiator, clutch, starter, window (some prick shot it out with a bb gun i think) some other odds and ends. having said that 1,000 to 1,500 doesnt sound so scary. However i have the feelign that if i came accros the money to buy a 355 the next day the enigine would explode for no reason.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Take it from somebody who sells parts to 355 owners 12 hours a day, 5 days a week.

Service and cam belts. As stated this will run roughly $1.5k for the belts and $3-5k for the 15k and 30k services.

Exhaust Manifolds- Oh these suckers like to go out, these are typically $5k for a set of OEM ones. I have a few customers who were on their 3rd or 4th set until they changed to aftermarket ones that don't crack or blow.

http://mvpeurosports.com/Templates/frmTemplateP1.asp?SubFolderID=421&CatalogID=178&SearchYN=N

Catalytic Converters- These don't go out as frequently but when they do it's roughly $4k to replace them. I haven't sold a set of OEM ones however since we started carrying Hyperflows.

http://mvpeurosports.com/Templates/frmTemplateP1.asp?SubFolderID=418&SearchYN=N

(Scroll down to Hyperflow)

If you get the F1 model there is a hydraulic pump that can go out. I've seen 7 different cases of this so it's not common but it's not rare. This pump is a little over $15,000 retail price.

The valve guides are another rare but expensive problem to fix. It tends to happen more on the earlier year cars and if you can find a car that has already have the valve guides done and updated, then that should be a major plus. The valve guide problem can run anywhere from $10-20k depending on the dealer and damage.

Clutch jobs are more than your typical everyday car. Around $3-4k for a complete job with throw-out bearing

That's it for the most part, again not every owner will experience these problems but it's always better to be safe than sorry.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts