Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
GM makes the Corvette. They keep the production numbers down and do not sell it at a very high premium. The peace loving Europeans do not like it. It kicks butt to the other Le Mans type cars. It is American and therefore bad to them.

The Corvette is the finest freeway flyer in production today. Of course, non-production cars can go quicker than mine, a legal car on the freeways of Southern California. It has taken General Motors six years to beat a twentieth century machine. I am still driving that old last millennium thingamabob, my Maranello 550.

It has eaten my Maranello, which I do not like. It also consumes the Saleen, Aston Martin, Viper, and anything else in the way.

The German Porsche cannot handle it. Years ago, having yelled foul regarding the American V-8s, it demanded and got its own class behind the big boys. Drive a Porsche and get taken by an American Detroit Iron V-8. Deutsche are good at engineering but have no class nor style.

If Corvette ever had a V-12, I would buy it. I would not get rid of the 550 but think about a V-12 Corvette. Could any production car even come close? No, it would not.

Formula One now has a V-8. I wonder what would happen if Chevrolet said, "We want to get back into Formula One Racing?"

Bonzi!!!

:)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is your 550 red by any chance, and was the Vette kill of your 550 recent? I ask, because there is a guy posting on the MBWorld.com forum (look under "Kill Stories") about his recent kill of a 550 (he said it was a 575, but he the cell phone photos he shot while following behind the Ferrari on the freeway shortly before the race showed it to be a 550). I think his Vette is black. Says he ran from something like 80 to 125 MPH, and was able to pull 1/2 car or so. Wondering if it maybe was you. Just curious.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Vomit said:
Is your 550 red by any chance, and was the Vette kill of your 550 recent? I ask, because there is a guy posting on the MBWorld.com forum (look under "Kill Stories") about his recent kill of a 550 (he said it was a 575, but he the cell phone photos he shot while following behind the Ferrari on the freeway shortly before the race showed it to be a 550). I think his Vette is black. Says he ran from something like 80 to 125 MPH, and was able to pull 1/2 car or so. Wondering if it maybe was you. Just curious.
Bart's 550 is silver.

Bart, was this the Z06? Fast cars - they give any car a good run.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Boxer said:
Bart, Next time make it chase you around something that has curves.

Boxer, you would be surprised how the Vette can hold on and even slightly push your rear as to say "is that all you have ???? cant you go any faster in those curves"........

It's so well balanced it's scary !!!!

It's a mean machine.......with a light price tag...

~

·
Registered
63 Posts
The Corvette is the best bang for the buck out there. I mean, all that performance for 50k? But, I'd rather drive a 20 year old Ferrari than a new Vette any day of the week. Also, I was talking to a guy I work with who is a tried and true Vette guy and he was telling me that they are coming out with a 650 HP model next year or the year after which will retail at about 100K and THAT'S still a deal.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Totally in concurr with Boxer's viewpoint. This recent trend of 600HP and up race by makers including Ferrari to me is simply ridiculous. Mind you, more power means bigger heavier brakes, etc. Seems like the mentality is heading backward to the Stone Age when power was everything. I can't say much for those who desire such things. I know because I own one car with 500HP and I don't know what to do with those extra HPs. At the same time I recently purchased a 50 years old Abarth 750GT Zagato which has only 85HP but BOY...is this car a blast and such a fun car to drive. Well, the point is for those who desire straight HP and more, then the so called American muscle cars' your bag of candies. You can have them all. Jimmy

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Jimmy, Completely agree. What I find even more perplexing, is when you drive one of these mega HP beasts and put your foot down coming out of a corner, the on-board computer nanny (i.e. traction/stability control system) cuts the power. Why have all this power if the car will not even allow you to use it ????

·
Registered
509 Posts
Definately. The power is useless without the rest of the car to match. That being said not too many people out there are capable of taking advantage of a car with that kind of potential. Chevy has this huge powerhouse at a very cheap cost Im affraid that its just going to end up with more idiots wrapped around trees. 200mph car, 40mph brain. oh well.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I think the C6 is finally getting there. The C5 was good but not great and still had that Chevy interior. The C6 on the other hand is nicer but still pales in comparision to a F430 interior. You get what you pay for and the quality isn't there that is in a $300,000 car. For performance the Z06 is a hell of a car and if you don't care about the interior you will be very happy with what your bought both on and off the track.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Ha, indeed ...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Boxer said:
I believe the Darwin Awards was established to cover and recognize this category.

True but lets not forget there have been a couple of Mario Anderttis out there that ran out of talent in Enzo's in very spectacular fashion.

Proves $$$$ does not = skill or judgement.

I hate government intervention as a rule but there are some extremely fast cars in the world and all it takes is money to get them. One of these days someone is going to make that an issue for legislation again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts