Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I am new to this forum but not forums in general. I am contemplating purchaing a 308 or 328 ferrari. My wife and I currently own a 1997 Corvette, a 1991 Miata, 1965 FFR Cobra and a 1966 FFR Daytona Coupe.

I may need to sell the Daytona to finance the purchase of the Ferrari. Are there any major drawbacks to owning a Ferrari over other cars that I own? I am very mechannically inclined so repairs shouldnt be a problem. I dont like rust though. Any hints on what I should watch for ?
Thanks Mike

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
No major drawbacks from what have have in your stable now. You are used to a sportscar so you know the limitations inherent with any of them. Judging by your stable, I take it you are no stranger to locating hard to find parts. You can't go down to Pep Boys and get parts but I've never had any problem locating any part I've needed.

The one thing is not to expect the same kind of power out of a 308 that you have with some of your other cars. You are not going to light up the tires off the line like you can with your Vette. It is a high speed road car, not a dragster. The engine doesn't start making any real power until your revs are well above what you are used to in an American V-8. The overall handling, balance and "feel" of the car is quite nice.

As for rust, you need to check all the usual places. Bottoms of the doors, rocker panels, etc. A pre-purchase inspection by a 3rd party is always recommended.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
hey Mike welcome to the forum

if you need financing for your first ferrari, i rather would suggest to sell the corvette and keep Cobra & Daytona Coupe :D

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
but those others are a lot cooler then any corvette, btw can you post some pics of those 2?

and besides
when your wife starts driving the 308-328 then that will become her new baby and you can start looking for a 2nd ferrari :lol:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

This is the latest picture of my Daytona. It is being prepped for paint. It will be painted a darker blue than the Cobra and also have the white stripes and all the normal race decals.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The pre-1984 308's had no rust preventative so like it was mentioned before an early fiberglass car, (all were Berlinetta) or a post 1984 would be the ones to look at.

The fiberglass cars had steel rocker panels so you can still have problems there.
The pre 1978 cars also had more aggressive cam profiles and no emissions junk to speak of so they are 30 to 40 HP higher than 1978 through 1982 (depending on Euro/US spec). My book shows the HP at 205 at the flywheel from '78 to '82. Post 1982 went to a 4 valve per cylinder head that brought the power back up to 240 at the flywheel. This is for US SPEC CARS ONLY. Euro spec cars are usually faster, (and look better because of the smaller bumpers).

The '76 through early '80 (carbureted) cars were the lightest of the bunch with the late '80 to '82 injected, 2 valve cars gaining 100 lbs.. From there the weight gain was minimal but the increased horse power made up for it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts