Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been having a serious think about buying a used 360M and this weekend have started looking in anger.

Having visited a couple of dealers my budget (given what I'm allowing for servicing/repairs , insurance etc.) will put me into a 2001 car from an approved dealer. Buying from one of them gives me more confidence but what are the pitfalls I should be looking for - most of their cars seem to be very low mileage which worries me more that a more regularly used car would be.

For me this is going to be a highdays and holidays car - probably in the region of 6K miles a year - before trying it was originally anti-F1 gear box after a test drive yesterday now in two minds, but have read that they can mean clutch problems if they've not been used properly.

Any pointers/tips will be most appreciated so I make sure I get the car of my dreams and not my nightmares...........

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Rich C (UK) said:
For me this is going to be a highdays and holidays car - probably in the region of 6K miles a year
That's why most of the cars you have seen are low mileage. The previous owners bought with the same reasoning in mind.
I only put about 3,000 miles a year on mine.

·
Administrator
6,320 Posts
I think this is the car of your dream. The F1 in the 360 is very reliable and a blast from what I've heard the last time I had a few beers with an owner of a 360 Modena. I wouldn't have too many concerns. How did you like it when you drove it? Have you compared the F1 to the gated shifter?

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Welcome Rich C.

I had the 360 F1 and I never had to change the clutch. It's easy to look after the clutch, just "free" it when you stop in the jam or at traffic light. It's so simple, just pull both levers and you're in nuetral. There is the initial "slack" before the clutch bites and just be patient. Most drivers just slam the trottle, doing their 0-60mph acceleration every time they take off. That's when excessive clutch wear occur. Drive the normal way and the clutch will last.

I had the 355 in manual and I have driven my friend's 360 Spyder in manual and I am afraid I can never go back to manual again. But if you're going to be in traffic all the time then manual should be considered but if it's going to be a weekend car then go for the F1. You'll love it. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all. You're right Enzo250GTO this is definitely the car of my dreams, been working hard to get to the stage where I can even consider this.

Was pretty impressed with the F1 when I drove it - can see how you need to adjust some of your normal habits when driving it but could feel it was worth while - haven't driven a 360 manual yet to do a proper comparison. Sales guy I dealt with at Egham was very knowledgable and was telling me about the 2 paddle neutral shift and how to avoid the issues.

some more looking around and research to be done but I don't think it'll be long before I'll be joining that elusive club.... :D

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Rich, if you're looking at 2001 models, go for the ones that have had their cam belt changed. This is a major maintainance job and it has to be done once every 3 years. If the previous owner has not done this, then it'll be on your lap. So do ask your sales guy about this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
buying from a Dealer vs an individual

I too was faced with a similar dilema last year when I was looking for a 360. If you are looking to trade up to a newer model in a short period of time (from your post, it does not appear that those are your plans), it makes sense to pay a little more now and establish a relationship with a dealer. If you are buying a car that is close to or already out of warranty and you do not plan on trading up any time soon, then I would seriously consider buying from a current original owner directly (assuming you can save some money). Just make sure it has all the service records and have the car checked thoroughly by an expert, even if it costs you a few hundred dollars. I would look for a car with low miles (say between 5,000 - 15,000). Most Ferrari owners will only put 3-5,000 miles per year on a car.

With regards to your F1 doubt, I have always enjoyed manual transmissions, but after driving an F1 :D for the past year, I can never see myself going back to a manual.

FYI- last summer I bought a 2002 360 F1 Spider from one dealer, and wound up trading it for a 2004 360 F1 Coupe a few weeeks ago through another dealer. I also have a 2005 Stradale on order which should arrive by mid November. My initial dealer (which was close to me) wound up being a con artist, the new dealer (which is not as close, maybe 40-50 miles) is much better to deal with.

Good luck with your shopping.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
My initial dealer (which was close to me) wound up being a con artist,
You mean there are also those present in the Ferrari-supercar market? Thought these people should know better. They're not dealing with guillable customers. :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
This local dealer promised to put me into a new 2004 wihin the first year if I agreed to pay what they were asking for their used 2002. At this level of the car business, you would expect the dealers to be gentlemen and honor their deals. Well, these guys are not. They put me off for almost a year and then refused to honor the deal. The new dealer gave me a deal that was about $15,000 US better than the original guy (and they did not make any money on me the first time).

I was not as bothered by the money difference, but more so by them backing out of their original deal and denying they ever made those promises. And by the way, I am not crazy and did not misunderstand their offer. I had plenty of witnesses that clearly remember their offer to swap at even money within a year, which is the reason why I bought the car from them in the first place.

As of today, I have steered at least 3 customers away from them and I am still trying.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Rich

I would go F1. A 360 Modena F1 was my first true supercar. I have also driven a manual spyder and would not go back from F1. - I ordered a 420/430 a few years back and have not hesitated to go F1 again.

I only took mine up to 5000 miles and had no problems. The belt swap in a 360 is not as big a deal as previous models in that the job can be done without the engine having to be removed.

I tried all sorts before opting for the 360F1 - Diablo, 996TT, 355, etc. Nothing else came close to making my jaw drop, and me whoop with excitement, like the 360 F1 did. And this was still the case after several thousand miles and a years ownership.

I moved onto a SL55 - which I sold after 8 months - no where close to the 360F1 for pure driving excitement.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Make sure to look for cracks in the paint by the "c-bar" (hope thats the right english word). It is a common problem with the 360 Modena.

Good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts