Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy!

So, I am a senior in college; who’s done really well; and whose Dad has agreed to purchase for him practically any car he wants. Initially I wanted a used Ferrari 360, but was told by the sales man at the Ferrari of Houston dealership that the maintenance costs for that car were tremendous and that I would be better suited buying either a car whose maintenance cost were not high or a 430. The other cars I am considering are the Bentley Continental GT and the Maserati Gran Tourismo.

How are the maintenance costs for the 430? Given that I am in college and will make this car my "daily driver," driving it between 10-15K miles a year, is it silly to want a 430? Are their any things I need to keep in mind as I make this decision or perhaps any unexamined variables or alternatives?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Congratulations to your academic achievements!

You must have done really well and may I also congratulate you for having such a fabulous father. My friend, there is nothing silly about wanting a 430! It merely states that you are perfectly human and that you have taste.

I'm a bit surprised about your salesman's cautioning over high maintenance cost on a 360. Needless to say, a next to new 430 will have less maintenance costs and I bet your salesguy would like to sell you one. Regarding used Ferraris, it is essential that you look at cars at several Ferrari dealerships and that you take your time. If you can swing it financially, I would recommend you to look for a used 430 Scuderia. This is an extrordinary Ferrari and it has a very sophisticated electronic safety system (the best on the market IMO) keeping you safely on the road even if you happen to apply too much power at the wrong moment. Remember, Ferraris are very sharp driving tools and you will sooner or later be grateful for the electronics no matter who you are. The Scud is likely to hold its value better than a standard F430 or a Modena.

Otherwise a late model Modena or F430 are both great cars, the F430 being the obvious choice if money is of no concern (IMO). The F430 also has a better electronic safety system with its manettino. They are both perfect daily drivers. I read about a 360 owner in the UK using it to work every single day putting 200.000km on the clock. He then traded it in for another 360.

I am very happy for you that your father is letting you choose a Ferrari. Being a Ferrarista and owner, I can imagine how wonderful it must be to enter the Ferrari world at such a good age. I had to wait another ten years and I can only congratulate you if you can make it now. I have driven and owned a good number of cars and I can say that nothing moves me like a Ferrari, trust my words young man!

As you get more precise about what you want, there will be plenty of chaps on this forum happy to give advice, myself included. Please keep us updated. I can't wait to read your driving impressions when you finally have your well deserved Ferrari in the garage.

Good luck, young man!

Salve,
Capo:costumed-smiley-091

·
Registered
123 Posts
Damn Bro, My Father (Who was a great guy) game me a hundred bucks and a suitcase when I gradudated!!! You have the pick of the litter when it comes to cars. I recently purchased a 360 and did tons of homework on it first. Its a great car too. Salesmen work on commission, so since the F430 costs more, well you get the picture!

Remember the words of Enzo "I build Cars for young men, that only old men can afford"

Keep us posted & Good luck,

MJ

·
Premium Member
9,567 Posts
best advice, don't take advice from someone that is trying to sell you something. don't really know how to answer your question though. anyone considering buying a 430 or bentley better damn well be ready to shell out the bucks to fix it. the cars are so different from each other, it makes me think you may not have given this much thought beyond emotion. Don't know much about your decision making process, but that's how it seems from your list. My advice is to take more time and figure out exactly what you want out of the car. any of the ones you mentioned are going to be relatively as costly to maintain as the other. frankly, i'm a little worried that you are most interested in maintenance costs on clearly the most expensive cars one can own. Is it possible that your dad will buy you the car but you must maintain it? if that is the case, as a recent college grad, i would only suggest a car still under warranty and i would plan on getting rid of it the day before the warranty expires.

of course, the best advice is to have your dad take the money and put a down payment on a house for you and buy a used f150 to drive daily. Tough advice for a young guy just getting out of college.

good luck!

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
Good advice indeed, though I don't think I would have been able to choose a house deposit (or even a house) over a Ferrari in my early 20s!

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
A daily driver? Why?

I drive my Ferraris around 12,000 miles a year but none of them are daily drivers. They are used frequently, but never to go shopping. It takes away the mystique, IMHO. And I think it is a mistake to take it to college - I mean that sincerely. I'm sure it's a temptation that's hard to resist but discretion is the better part of valour (even if I don't adhere to that saying as much as I would want to).

So, seriously - buy something "cheap" and decent as a DD (like a BMW 3-series of a couple of years old), then drive your F430 whenever you don't need to use the DD.

I mention the F430 because it is a stupendous car, so if you can afford it, go for it. Just one thing: these cars are seriously powerful and tricky for the uninitiated. All I am saying: be careful, these cars can kill easily, or do serious damage to your ego and wallet. Just last weekend I was almost hit by an F430 because the driver (an older one this time) didn't know how to control his car when putting the throttle down, and personally I have damaged my first Ferrari too. But if you're careful there's nothing to worry about and these cars are amazing.

Good luck deciding!

Onno

P.S. I agree with wetpet fully but figure that someone in college is not going to take the money and put it into a house... I know I wouldn't have. I also know that, in hindsight, I most definitely would.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Thinking about it again: get your dad to pay out for an F430, but buy instead:

1. Decent DD
2. Ferrari 328 GTS
3. Decent investment into a house or savingsplan or something else for the future.

Best of all worlds! Believe me - it doesn't matter that your Ferrari is 20 years old, all that matters is that it is a Ferrari. The 328 is great to drive, sounds great, has great looks and will still give you enough kudos unless your friends are oil company heirs.

Onno

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Thinking about it again: get your dad to pay out for an F430, but buy instead:

1. Decent DD
2. Ferrari 328 GTS
3. Decent investment into a house or savingsplan or something else for the future.

Best of all worlds! Believe me - it doesn't matter that your Ferrari is 20 years old, all that matters is that it is a Ferrari. The 328 is great to drive, sounds great, has great looks and will still give you enough kudos unless your friends are oil company heirs.

Onno
This is good thinking! This way the guy still gets his first Ferrari so he can write
us about his first driving impressions and subsequently about his first (in a Ferrari) pull-over-and-park-a-while impressions with a girl in the passenger seat...!

Capo:costumed-smiley-091

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
the only 'daily driver' in that list is the Maser, and that's pressing it unless you [from what I hear will still be in college] will not do much daily driving.

What exactly constitutes daily? That is, distance, climate and access to service?

Bently is IMO less suited than the 430.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts