Ferrari Life Forum banner

Considering a Mondial/308/328

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ktmrider 
#1 ·
I have recently been considering a Mondial, 308, or 328. One thing worth mentioning is that I do not care for the older style Mondial body, but the newer version I don't mind at all. I am wondering the lowest possible amount of money I could find one for (I have seen old Mondials for $10,000 even) and who I should buy through (Ferrari, Exotic Car Dealership, Private Seller). I do prefer the newer Mondials, but I'd settle for pretty much any Ferrari. Hopefully I can find something under or around $20,000 that I can make payments on.

Joe

#3 ·
I love my Mondial

I bought an '86 Mondial 3.2 coupe last year and use it as a daily driver. It is an amazing car and it has been very reliable. Get a good buyer's guide or two then buy the best one you can afford with a full service included by a reputable service provider. Also, make sure you have full service records for any car you consider buying. The most expensive Mondial you can by is a low priced car with no service records. I paid $25K for my one owner car with a full 30K mile service included in the price.

#6 ·
I put about 8K down and put the rest on a credit card. I got a special offer in the mail for 2.9% until the balance is paid off. This was better than the car loan rates I was seeing advertised at the time. So, basically, I am driving a Ferrari for about the monthly cost to lease a new Honda Civic.
Do keep in mind that the cost to service these older cars can be very high so keep a little cash in reserve to fix whatever faults you find. There is nothing worse than making payments on a broken car that you can't drive!

#8 ·
Hi guys,
I used CapitalOne Auto Finance for my 83 MD QV:
no down payment (I financed everything including TTL)
no model year restriction
did not have to indicate what make
selected length of loan myself
2-screen quick online application and an email reply in 10 minutes
overnight option for delivery of check [you fill in any amount up to the total approved for]

Best wishes!
Send pics. 8)

#9 ·
FerrariKiller said:
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll have to check out these guides.
I'm confused. I thought that you saw a couple of 355's and were going to buy one. You posted that in a couple of places. The Mondial QV and 3.2 is a great car but one of my favourites is the Dino 308GT4. They're going for pretty good prices and you may want to look at those. But how did you go from a 355 to a lower priced Ferrari that you can "make payments on?"

#11 ·
Mondial QV

I had an 1983 Mondial QV for 5 years from 36,000 to 46,000 miles which I paid $28K and sold for $24K to and from dealers . My car had all the records and was both sold and only serviced by the original Ferrari dealer . I was able to talk to two of the previous owners and each had the car about 5 years . If you can find a car like this you are probably in good shape . My most recent Ferrari , a 328 GTS , though a wonderful car did not have as clear provenance and service records . As I have come to know the car well over the past year I can tell you I would have been better served to only take on a car that was Ferrari dealer sold and serviced only . I'll qualify that to say that if you live in area with several good non-dealer Ferrari specialty shops you might be O.K. , too . Pure Ferrari dealer sold and serviced cars may be getting harder to find for cars sold in the 1980's but I have no doubt they exist and are worth the search .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.