Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Guy's,

How do you compare the engine sound for the following 308's??

308 with Carb's

308 2 Valve

308QV

Trying to narrow down what I really want!!

I am leaning towards a carb 308.

Thanks!!

Frank

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I actually did have the pleasure of witnessing a 308 carb a couple of years ago and I would say go with it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I vote for the 308 QV based on my experience with a 1982 2-valve and a 1983 4-valve. But I guess I need to drive a car with carbs so I can properly make the compro...

Any 308s with Webers in the San Francisco area for a short swap? ;)

I also have to say I like the sounds the F-cars made before Ferrari started putting a bunch of sound engineers in a room to "perfect" the tune they desire. I prefer the raw natural sounds of engine and exhaust more than the highly refined note of the new ones.

That is based on first hand experience. They sound wonderful new today (don't get me wrong), but they were more pure and unadultered before.

Boxer, have you heard an Enzo up close, under power? How does the F40 - F50 evolution compare?

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Boxer, have you heard an Enzo up close, under power? How does the F40 - F50 evolution compare?
Yes, I have a few "Enzo" experiences both on the road and on the track. I can't say I remember anything in particular about the cars sound track. The F50 on the other hand is completely unique due to the nature of the engine and carbon tube. The F40 really depends on which model year. The early non-cat cars sound a bit better than the later ones (like mine) but fitting a proper sports exhaust helps. Most impressive sound track on the F40 is when you lift off and it dumps unburnt fuel down the pipes. For a direct comparision, click on the two videos in this thread:

http://www.ferrarilife.com/forums/showthread.php?p=70192#post70192

personally though, the best sounding Ferraris still are the Daytona and Boxer. The combination of weber carbs, 12 cylinders, and simple exhaust systems can't be topped.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Great Videos Boxer and I agree with your choice' sound, I meet a man at Le Vigeant with a BB carb and what a sound...He was on the same set as me.
here is the F50 of the meeting you saw on uTube, I finally found it (I mean the picture not myself).
Personnal comment from the video I was persuaded that you were in England, but this is Portugal' cost ?!

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,140 Posts
Great Videos Boxer and I agree with your choice' sound, I meet a man at Le Vigeant with a BB carb and what a sound...He was on the same set as me.
here is the F50 of the meeting you saw on uTube, I finally found it (I mean the picture not myself).
Personnal comment from the video I was persuaded that you were in England, but this is Portugal' cost ?!
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I vote for the 308 QV based on my experience with a 1982 2-valve and a 1983 4-valve. But I guess I need to drive a car with carbs so I can properly make the compro...

Any 308s with Webers in the San Francisco area for a short swap? ;)

I also have to say I like the sounds the F-cars made before Ferrari started putting a bunch of sound engineers in a room to "perfect" the tune they desire. I prefer the raw natural sounds of engine and exhaust more than the highly refined note of the new ones.

That is based on first hand experience. They sound wonderful new today (don't get me wrong), but they were more pure and unadultered before.

Dear Torbin

Additionally the link may help to guide you thru the engine/exhaust difference between the F40/F50. (Turn on your loudspeakers strongly when watching)

http://video.google.com/videoplay?d...q=Ferrari+F50&ei=bIZPSLmkJYPy2wK6mMDGDA&hl=en

1 - 8 of 8 Posts