Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you color sand (to take off the rough areas) after applying the clear coat to the paint job and let cure, or do you color sand the base paint before applying the clear coat?

I can't believe I am experimenting with the paint job of my ferrari :eek:

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Al's the expert, I'm sure he'll have some tips for you. Good luck, you are very brave experimenting on your 355:eek:

Shivers....True, but i look at it this way, it's much better than having all those scrathes and gashes from those parking curbs. While I was at it, I decided to touch up the rock chips on my rear fender as well :p

·
Registered
38 Posts
You color sand after you spray the clear to smooth the finish and remove imperfections. Even with the best painter, perfect condition, and cleanest paint booth a typical paint job will have some texture (orange peel) and specs of dirt.
Once the clear coat drys for a few days (even sooner if it is baked) you wet sand the car with sand paper from the 800-2000 grit range, buff with an aggressive compound and pad, then polish with a super fine polish to remove micro scratches and swirls. This process is an absolute art (probably the most demanding of the paint process) and should be handled by a professional.
As far as sanding between the base coat and clear coat, it is not necessary with the modern paint systems. Now I might sand my final coat of base if there was an abnormal amount of dust or imperfections in the base, but I usually will apply one more coat of base coat before spraying the clear coat.
I use both Spies Hecker and Glasurit paint systems. I prefer the Spies Hecker, but some hard core Ferrari owner prefer that I use the Glasurit since it was the factory paint for so many years. I will usually spray 3-4 coats of base and 3-5 coats of clear (depending on how smooth I really plan on color sanding the car).
If it is a car that will needs to be "perfect" then this is my procedure.
3 coats of base
lightly sand the last coat of base with 800 grit paper to ensure smoothness
Spray a final coat of base
Wait 30 minuets
Spray 5 coats of Urethane Clear (I have a favorite that looks amazing) with 45 minuets in between coats (at 75 degrees)
Let air dry for 24 hours
Color sand with 800 grit on a rigid block
Let sit for 3-5 days so it can expel the solvent
color sand with 1000 grit with a rigid block
Color sand with 1500 with a soft pad
Color sand with a DA sander with 3000 trizat 3m paper
Buff with a 3m perfect-it wool pad and 3m perfect-it compound #1
Buff with a 3m perfect-it (white) foam pad and 3m perfect-it compound #1
Polish with a 3m perfect-it (grey) foam pad and 3m perfect-it microfinishing polish #2
Polish with a 3m perfect-it (blue) foam pad and 3m polish #3
Hand glaze with 3m hand glaze
If anyone wants the part numbers for these products let me know. I can tell you this procedure gives you an absolute show car finish. It is a lot of work, but well worth it!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent procedure. I surely shall aply what I learned here. I am color sanding with a 2000 grit, but would certainely be interested in that 3000 grit you mentioned in your article.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Excellent procedure. I surely shall aply what I learned here. I am color sanding with a 2000 grit, but would certainely be interested in that 3000 grit you mentioned in your article.
+1 ............... that is the way to do it ......... :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts