Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when a daytona or 275 has had the color changed from original to another 'period' color, how much does this affect the value of the car. Consider the car was refinished by a top -quality shop. does it hurt the value as it would on a early 911RS or the like?

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
As Boxer says, nearly all Ferrari's are resprayed or touched up, and as long as they are done professionally it should make no difference. If it's a period colour and it compliments the interior, it should make very little difference. However, if the colour is more retro and clashes with the interior it might effect value slightly, but the cost of a respray would be low in comparison to the overall cost of buying a Daytona or 275, so I can't see a vendor being prepared to slash 25% of the price, 5-10% maybe.
At the UK FOC concours several weeks ago a sickly metallic purple Daytona rolled up. In my opinion, it would be a perfect example of a car that might be worth knocking down the price.

·
Registered
332 Posts
...At the UK FOC concours several weeks ago a sickly metallic purple Daytona rolled up...
It is Viola Dino Metallizatto and is the original colour. Whilst it wouldn't be my first choice, it is a wonderful and refreshing change from the tedious rosso corsa resprays and very much of the period from which the car originates.

Jonathan

Attachments

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
It is Viola Dino Metallizatto and is the original colour. Whilst it wouldn't be my first choice, it is a wonderful and refreshing change from the tedious rosso corsa resprays and very much of the period from which the car originates.

Jonathan
Jonathan, I stand corrected;) . However, if I were in the market to buy a Daytona, I would personally offer less money for a purple car:D

My memory of late 60's and early 70's cars on UK roads were lots of beiges, mustard yellows, burnt oranges, bronze and dark brown cars. Britsh Leyland have got a lot to answer for.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Yeah, for this car I think you could respray it any other color and increase it's value.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Yeah, for this car I think you could respray it any other color and increase it's value.
I'm not sure I agree. You might make it easier to sell...but that's not the same thing. One thing with that car in that colour is that it certainly draws attention and some people really like that. And it is original. Co-incidentally, Classic & Driver currently has a report on a recent meet at Tyringham Hall. You will note that this particular car gets a specific mention: http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3700.asp?id=13567 I might add, that I have now seen this car a few times and the colour does grow on you.

Certainly, I would hate it to end up as yet another tedious re-sale red example when, in fact, comparatively few daytona's were originally red.

Jonathan

·
Registered
490 Posts
I'm not sure I agree. You might make it easier to sell...but that's not the same thing. One thing with that car in that colour is that it certainly draws attention and some people really like that. And it is original. Co-incidentally, Classic & Driver currently has a report on a recent meet at Tyringham Hall. You will note that this particular car gets a specific mention: http://www.classicdriver.com/uk/magazine/3700.asp?id=13567 I might add, that I have now seen this car a few times and the colour does grow on you.

Certainly, I would hate it to end up as yet another tedious re-sale red example when, in fact, comparatively few daytona's were originally red.

Jonathan
I totally agree:thumbup:

There was also a gorgeous met green that was originally offered (& I've painted a couple of D/t's that were originally this colour) which is just stunning - very 70's, but very flattering & I can't remember ever seeing one in this colour:( .
As per the other thread - my advice is to clients to always do a car in a colour they want, sadly that does all too aften mean resale red. (Nothing wrong with that - but do we really need to see any more in Corsa?) I am having this exact discussion at the moment with a customer with a MK 7 Jag - he wants to go safe with 'wedding white'! (I would like to see it in it's original wedgewood blue with grey top)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts