Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't sleep very well last night for some reason - not sure why... :wink:

Took the train into London this morning, to get to the dealer.

Was expecting that the long list of jobs to be done, that I'd agreed with the dealer, would be completed - as he'd told me that I could pick it up on the day we originally arranged, when I spoke to him Weds.

Arrived to be told almost immediately that everything that was due to have been done hadn't been done - Hmmmm, not a good start!!

Anyway - what had been done was as follows:

The cambelts had been changed, and the full service completed.
The engine had been repainted (red cam covers - lovely!).
The fuel pipes and filters had been changed as some of the joints were not up to scratch.
The steering rack had been completely refurbished, as they'd found a leak in one of the joints.
The spacer behind the steering wheel (to move it out an inch) had been fitted - painted in crackled black - looks like it's meant to be there!
The brake discs/pads had all been replaced.
The seats had been reconnolised - and look literally like new.
The new alarm had been fitted.
Plus a few other minor things.

The stuff that hadn't been done was as follows:

Nearside wheels need refurbishing - just some minor scuffs (from kerbs no doubt!)
The inside of the engine bay needs refurbishing - i.e. stripping and painting black.
The black paintwork leading into the air intakes (behind the side windows) needs redoing.

Would have preferred to know about this before I'd travelled, but it's not the end of the world. It's probably not going to be more than 6 weeks before the car gets "put to bed" for the winter, so the dealer suggested I drive it (i.e. enjoy it) until then, and then he'll finish off the stuff above, which I'm fine with! Besides, the brakes, steering rack and some minor jobs had been done as part of the preparation, at no cost - so I shouldn't complain too much!

Anyway - nightmare of nightmares, on the way home the heavens opened!! I'd been praying all week that it'd be dry today, and it wasn't to be!!

Even worse than that, it was wet by the time I got to the corner I'd been practising all week (in my A6 on the way home from work!) ready for the new car!!! It's a very quick left hander followed immediately by a sharper right hander!! For those of you in the UK (A1 northbound, just north of Tempsford!!). So, I'll have to see if I can out-corner Schumacher another day!!

As a result, the drive home (about 60 miles) wasn't particularly exciting. I need to get used to it before I can really play - and a wet day probably isn't the place to get used to it :( .

Still, my wife loved it (which is a huge bonus), to the extent that on the way home she asked which model I thought I'd go for when it came time to change!!! It's at times like that, that I understand why I married her :green: !!!

More to follow when I've had more of a drive. For the moment - I'm pleased - very pleased!!!

(Pics to follow when I have a chance - it was put straight in the nice dry garage when I got home, so no pics yet!!)

Bazil

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer is Joe Macari Performance Cars in London - highly recommended - it's been a pleasure to deal with them.

I should have added to the original post that part of the reason they hadn't got everything done was due to the time that had been lost sorting things they found themselves!!

No pics yet - but the one's from the dealer (which are the only one's I have as yet) are on this post:

http://www.ferrariforum.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1483

Bazil

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Bazil,
Welcome to the joys of Ferrari ownership. It only gets worse from here. :D

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Enzo250GTO said:
Peter,
Worse? How so?
Andrew,
Pretty much the worrying. Listen to what Bazil said, he had planned his route home (and practised it) and payed attention to the weather. He knows all about the rims and the condition of the paint in the engine bay on his Ferrari. If he is like me he probably doesn't know when the oil was last changed on his daily driver.

If I get a dent in the Jeep I just kinda think "Well I'll have to pull that out at some point" with the Ferrari, if a fly lands on it I'm out there shooing it away. When I drive the truck, the tire could be loose, the tailgate down and I wouldn't even notice. With the Ferrari I'm like "Did you hear that? I think the engine just skipped"

I have always kept my cars clean, but with the Ferrari clean takes on a new meaning. People look at the car and remark on how great it looks and I'm thinking that the rims need polishing. Owning a Ferrari is a special thing and you have a duty to the fans of the Marque to maintain it to the highest of standards.

That is what gets worse. The passion takes over.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Chaps,

You could both be sooo right!!

Went out for a little play this morning - fantastic. Until I got home and my wife spotted the small patch of oil on the garage floor... :ugh: Immediately went an examined the car - more oil... :cry:

I've spent a very long time with my head in the engine bay, and I can't for the life of me see where it's coming from.

We're not talking about oil pouring from the engine, it's just a small drip - but in my experience, oil coming out of the engine is rarely a good thing!!

It's dripping from just in front of the rear wheel - the rear corner of the side panel.

Anyway - I'm not going to worry myself into an early grave about it - it's Sunday, can't do anything today - will have a chat with the dealer tomorrow, first thing. It was only serviced last week, so it could be anything - and that's exactly what the warranty is for!!

If anyone has something reassuring to say, I'd be jolly grateful to hear it!!

Then I spent the next hour and a half cleaning and polishing it!! Was just about to take some pics when it started raining - typical!!! Had to take a couple in the garage, so they're not great.

Funnily enough (after reading Pete's comments) my wife did ask me whether or not I was going to clean the Audi - as it looks like it's done the Paris - Dakar!!! As it started raining, yes turned into no. It'll wait at least another month!! Can't wait to see what colour it is - as I've forgotten!!

Anyway apologies for the v poor pictures - and for the state of the garage - only just moved, and it's very much a work in progress... Will post some more if I ever see the sun again!! Actually - you can see the offending oil in picture 3... :(

Bazil

Attachments

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Hey Bazil

congrats on your new baby, she looks great
i'm pretty sure that you will still have a few good days to play around.

Now comes a bigger question
you said your wife likes the car?
does that mean that she can drive the 348 also from time to time?
yes yes i know, a very dangerous question, but i love to ask it :green:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Bazil,

All Ferraris weep a little oil, it depends how much you are talking about when you say the oil is "pouring out."

You definitely shouldn't have any dripping on the floor though. Perhaps one of the seals has expired.

Sounds like a great 348. Personally I found them a bit too skittish. If you are going to upgrade I heartily recommend the 355.

BTW I know the inner glow that comes when the wife says she really likes your car. It's like that final act of closure.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dirk

I honestly don't know whether you're expecting me to say "no way" or "of course"

The real answer is - of course. I'm sure she'll have a go at some point, although it'll be just that - having a go. She wouldn't want to drive it as a regular thing, as she's a little bit intimidated by it - which I understand - and she knows she'd be mortified if anything untoward happened.

Quaid,

It's not weeping (I'm the one doing that!!), but it's not pouring either. It's a small leak from somewhere. I'm sure it's nothing serious - it's just one of those things that seems designed to bring you back down to earth. Really annoying - but not the end of the world. I'll keep the forum up to date!!

Bazil

·
Registered
88 Posts
I think many men on this forum view it as uxorious to allow their wives to drive their sports cars. I don't think it is a matter of selfishness, but men are quite protective of their cars that they spend time taking care of. For that matter, they aren't about to let their sons and daughters or anyone else drive them either. It helps that you feel safe letting your wife drive the car. Some men are scared to get in any car their wife is driving if they are back-seat drivers. Nevertheless, if you want to thank your wife for supporting you in your Ferrari purchase, you should let her drive the car if she wishes. It is marriage for God sakes, it is hard to keep things sacred.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Azzurro California 575M said:
I don't think it is a matter of selfishness, but men are quite protective of their cars that they spend time taking care of. For that matter, they aren't about to let their sons and daughters or anyone else drive them either. quote]

that would my point
i know that i would have a problem, when i finally can get a ferrari, to let her be driven others, wife or not.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm afraid I'm with Azzurro on this one - and not just because my wife may read this!!!

My wife drives my other car - so why wouldn't I let her drive this one? If I can't let her drive it - who can I? Actually - it's not even a case of "letting" her - if she wants to have a go, she knows where the keys are.

The reality is though that she's not really "into" cars that much. She likes it, appreciates what it is, knows it's very special to me, but that's as far as it goes. Given the choice she'd drive the Audi every time.

Was talking to my father today - haven't told him I've got the 348 yet. He doesn't even know I've been looking. My parents are due to come and see me in a couple of weeks, for the first time since I moved house. I can't wait to see his face - he'll either be horrified or delighted - but I know deep down he'll be really proud. I'm absolutely desperate for him to drive it - he'll love it.

I've fallen off my motorbikes a few times over the years (actually a few times too many!!) and every time I'm devastated at the damage to the bike, but my wife says "It's only metal. It can be fixed." I know she's right - and deep down I feel the same way about the Ferrari.

It's a luxury - I could live without it. If something dreadful happened and I needed to sell it - I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've managed to buy this one - I can always buy another one another time.

So chaps - let your wives drive your cars - as long as they don't break them (which they won't, as they know you'd be devastated) you'll feel better for the experience!!

Bazil

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Congratulations Basil. She looks great. Don't spend too much time on her though or you're goona have problem with the wife! :lol:

Join the UK Owners Club, they are very active. When I see their events, I wish I were in the UK. Enjoy your Ferrari.

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
I am not going to let my wife read this thread! :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts