Ferrari Life Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did live in the cold when I was young. Now I live where summer is endless, Southern California. I now understand better what you are going though right now. Many of you have put away your sweet thing for the winter. Me, I drive it 12 months of the year. Opps, it is now at my friend’s shop. I blew some type of hose two months ago. I have not the money to fix it but I say now, what the heck. “Fix it now”, I need my fix.

Not driving the sweet thing for two months is too much for a normal human to handle. How do you people not drive it for the cold months? If you live in the real cold states, the car should go into cover in November and not come out until April. Maybe one should have snow tires on it. No, that is just wrong.

Your strength is greater than mine. I need to feel my Ferrari.

:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Back when I stored my cars for winter, and will start practicing again - I found that the 6 months of not driving it, built up a feeling that made the 6 months of driving it all that much sweeter. People would always ask, whens it coming out? When will we see it? I was a tease and never told, but I always made sure there was no particles of anything on the roads before her virgin drive of the year.

The other way I used to cope is to buy an extremely powerful, fun, 4x4 and practice spirited winter driving, in controlled conditions. The Cayenne solved that pretty quick.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did live in the cold when I was young. Now I live where summer is endless, Southern California. I now understand better what you are going though right now. Many of you have put away your sweet thing for the winter. Me, I drive it 12 months of the year. Opps, it is now at my friend’s shop. I blew some type of hose two months ago. I have not the money to fix it but I say now, what the heck. “Fix it now”, I need my fix.

Not driving the sweet thing for two months is too much for a normal human to handle. How do you people not drive it for the cold months? If you live in the real cold states, the car should go into cover in November and not come out until April. Maybe one should have snow tires on it. No, that is just wrong.

Your strength is greater than mine. I need to feel my Ferrari.

:)
I ride trail bikes through coniferous woods, muddy valleys, rutted dirt roads and soggy fields....in all weathers....and that give's me a great buzz, And on crisp, dry fresh sunday mornings in the winter I still get the 550 out to stretch her legs - So no problems here.

Argento:drive:

·
Registered
457 Posts
I drive mine all year long. The weather this year has been a bit strange here in New Jersey. They say to expect 70 degrees on Sunday!

·
Premium Member
566 Posts
Only collectors should winter their cars; drivers should drive theirs....um...until they salt the roads, that is.;)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Wimps,

Almost all last week it was between 42F and 48F degrees here and I have been wearing shorts and a t-shirt.....damn it's nice outside.....usualy this time of year its -13F

People here still haven't stored their cars and motorcycles are still running on the road.

I took out the 350Z out last week.....sweet times...

~

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Wimps,

Almost all last week it was between 42F and 48F degrees here and I have been wearing shorts and a t-shirt.....damn it's nice outside.....usualy this time of year its -13F

People here still haven't stored their cars and motorcycles are still running on the road.

I took out the 350Z out last week.....sweet times...

~
In the 50's here today. Saw a motorcycle on the road. Gotta love El Nino.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Where I live when it is 60 we wear long slevees, 50 a jacket, 40 try not to go outside, 30 well I have no idea only get's that cold maybe once a yearand it is usually very late at night when it is that cold. Lucky to be here in the south where it is always warm. My wife drives a convertible, I haven't seen the top up in almost 2 months. Has been nice from the high 70's to the mid 60's down here.

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
When it’s crazy cold here it usually starts at -22F and sometimes reaches down to -40F (our windshield washer here is rated to -40) I use a gallon of it per week.

At about -22 the doors are hard to open because the rubber door seal sticks to the car and prevents opening of the door, locks start to freeze if graphite powder is not applied to the lock before old man winter arrives. The windows are frozen to the rubber and do not go down until the interior get warm (solution to that is the dash extremity vents, point them up and at the window and it goes away in about 10-15 mins….major solution to all this is a remote car starter if your car starts. On cold days like this the wait for a tow truck for a boost can be up to 3 hours.

~

·
Premium Member
5,509 Posts
Where I live when it is 60 we wear long slevees, 50 a jacket, 40 try not to go outside
40 is sweatshirt, 50 is long sleeve and 60 is short sleeve. A jacket is something you wear if it is snowing. Of course that only applies if you are doing work. Then all you pussies sit around freezing and wonder why it is all the yankees come down there and take all the jobs offshore. :)

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
40 is sweatshirt, 50 is long sleeve and 60 is short sleeve. A jacket is something you wear if it is snowing. Of course that only applies if you are doing work. Then all you pussies sit around freezing and wonder why it is all the yankees come down there and take all the jobs offshore. :)

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~

·
Registered
51 Posts
IMO I would much rather work with a bunch of yankees than with the rednecks I have to deal with. I find it hard to communicate with the guys working in production since I can barely understand them.

BTW I lived in New England for about 2 years where I went to highschool so I know what you mean when you say 60 and your wearing short sleeves. I just have gotten acustomed to the warmer temps since I have been back in Louisiana for some time now. As a matter of fact where I lived was not very far from Maine.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I don't own any Ferraris (yet), but I've had my fun cars (M Roadster & Coupe) garaged since late October. It's been unseasonably warm here, but at the slightest hint of snow the local department of transportation drops a truly obscene amount of salt and sand on the roads. As much as I want to drive the Roadster with the top down along some winding roads, it's just not possible here until the spring.. :(

·
Registered
18 Posts
As mentioned before, temperature is not as much of an issue when driving a Ferrari, but rather it's the salt, potholes, slush and gravel that is found on winter roads that keeps us from driving them during the winter.

If anything, winter is the time we get to carry out all the necessary maintenance on our cars. And since abstinence makes the heart grow fonder, we enjoy them that much more when we take them out in the spring.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts